EB/GamesStop One in the same

Discussion in 'Games' started by bowens, Sep 6, 2006.

1. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

Maybe everybody else already knew this, and I'm just way out of it, but I just realized that EB Games and GameStop are the same place. Check out these two pages: EBGames GameStop
    There is one of each of these in the mall near me. It's kind of odd that they would have two stores so similar. Even the bottom of the EBGames website says, copyright GameStop.

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Yup...welcome to the club. :)

It's kinda like, although not exactly, Banana Republic is Gap is Old Navy. Not quite the same, but that's the first analogy that popped in my head.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i can't remember when or who. i think it was about a year or so ago that one bought out the other. i believe it was Gamestop buying out EB but i could be wrong on that too.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

no not at all the same. because Gamestop and EB are identical. you're example is a Tiered type of thing and is more akin to Lexus, Toyota, and Scion all being one company.

5. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Alright there, smartypants. :) I said it wasn't quite the same...hehehe.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i know i know. i was trying to come up with a similar analogy actually and this is perhaps one of the single anamolies in Retail.

^ that was a weird sentence.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yep...GameStop bought out EB Games about a year ago.

Often times they won't change the name right away (if at all) because the company being acquired often has brand/name recognition in their region that the new company doesn't have.

Kind of like Edy's and Dreyer's ice cream...

8. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    A better analogy woould be Blockbuster Video and Hollywood video. They were both owned by Viacom and all profits went into Viacom's pockets. In order to remove themselves of a monopoly risk, they sold Hollywood Video, but still, they were the same company doing the same things...

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Hollywood Video wasn't owned by Viacom. Blockbuster attempted a hostile takeover of Hollywood a couple of years ago, but Hollywood instead sold themselves to Movie Gallery.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

hmmm i suppose. i thought Edy's was supposed to be marketed as being a 'superior' brand and had a larger price-tag. but i could be wrong on that too. :eek:

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Nope they're exactly the same...containers look identical except for the name. It's Edy's east of the Rockies and Dreyer's to the west.

12. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

When I heard a while back that Gamestop bought EB I was pretty frustrated. I've always liked EB better and now Gamestop has a total monopoly on video game stores. Sure you can buy video games elsewhere, but in terms of dedicated video games stores (at least in New England), they are it. From what they said at the local store, they have just finished the inventory consolidation and this fall they are going to do rebranding. Whether all the stores will become the same or whether they will keep the corporate logo (like when Nike bought Converse) is anyone's guess. I can't imagine them keeping two stores in one mall open indefinitely, but you never know.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ah gotcha. thanks for clarifying that.

learn something new everyday. :D

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I guess it's Dredy's if you're standing on the Continental Divide...

15. dizastor macrumors 6502a

dizastor

Hellman's mayonaise on the East Coast
    Best Foods mayonaise on the West Coast

Delicious on both coasts, straight-up or with a sandwich. ;)

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

with these food examples that we've come up with are close. something about the Gamespot/EB contiunes to make me think that is singularly unique still. in that they have both stores relatively close to one another in just about all regions. the icecream and other examples equate to regional brand marketing.

17. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

Thanks for the quick replies. I guess I've just been out of the loop for a while. I really haven't played many games for a while. I have an XBox but haven't bought a game in probably over a year. But I just bought a DS Lite last week and have been playing it everyday.

18. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Here is an article from the announcement of the merger that mentions that rebranding and consolidation will occur in 2006.

It is not unusual for a merged company to take some time before fully consolidating. As you say, it is somewhat unusual to do it on a "permanent" basis if there aren't other distinguishing factors like geography.

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

oh i know about taking time on the rebranding and such. it just doesn't seem to be happening. :eek: :rolleyes: at least not here yet.

20. dizastor macrumors 6502a

dizastor

A good store example is Macys. They swallowed a bunch of regional retailers and in some regions kept the names for a while or added their name to the regional name to create a wholly unique store name.

For a while in some locations Macys and the other stores did indeed co-exist before they decided to consolidate under the Macy's name.

Filenes, Robinsons-May, and The Bon-Marche are the ones I am aware of as I've lived in Massachusetts, So. Cal., and now Seattle. Up here in the Northwest Macys bought local retailer The Bon Marche and created Bon-Macy's it was only about a year ago that they dropped that bastardized name.

That's the only example I can think of that is dead on. I'm sure there are more.

21. jdechko macrumors 68040

Part of the reason one of the local EB managers told me is that as far as volume, they weren't even close to competing with Wal-Mart or Best Buy. The merge doesn't give GameStop/EB the total monopoly on video games (probably used games) but rather helps them to compete against larger retail stores.

I prefer EB to Gamestop, but it's not the most important thing in the world.

22. bowens thread starter macrumors 6502a

bowens

That answers one question. That kind of sucks though. I normally go into both to try to find a better deal. Now I won't have a choice.

23. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

I've never been able to understand why Walmart could even offer competiton for stores like EB. They only ever have a handful of games and prices aren't that good. Its the same thing with Target and other box stores. They have lousy selection and high prices. Thats why I always liked EB. Plus the whole used thing is great and most of the employess actually, gasp, play games. You're lucky if you even find an employee at Walmart.

I suppose it's just the convenience factor. Parents dont want to bother go to a game store when they can buy their kids games at Walmart.

24. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

usually the Box stores like Walmart, Target, and BestBuy are actually cheaper for new games than EB/Gamestop. and more advertising, and more sales etc.

Used games are a totally different story though.

25. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I bought Madden '07 for the xbox (regular one) the week it came out at Walmart for $40. Everywhere else was $50.