ebay advice please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dobbin, Aug 10, 2004.

1. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

I'm shortly hoping to sell my G4 Cube and 17" CRT Studio Display on ebay. Do you think I'm best to sell these together as one auction, or as 2 separate auctions. I have all the original boxes, packaging, manuals, CDs, etc. This is an absolutely mint setup, exactly as it was shipped to me about 3 years ago.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'd suggest separately since you're more likely to find people interested in one or other than both together.

But I'd make sure I referenced the other auction in the description just in case you get someone looking for a complete package. You could give a discount on shipping etc if someone does end up buying both.

3. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Excellent advice above. Also, people want to see a lot of pictures - that's what makes an auction finish at a high price.

4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Definatly seperatly. You will probably pull in a few extra bucks selling seperatly then together. Also put lots of pictures.

5. dobbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

dobbin

Thanks for your advice everyone - I'll do 2 separate auctions I think. I will make sure I put lots of photos of my cube and all the bits and pieces with it. I guess its easy for me to say its all in *perfect* condition with the boxes etc, but buyers want to actually see that before bidding.

Do you think it makes much difference to have a long auction (10 or 14 days?) to raise the highest price - or do people not tend to bid until the last 1 or 2 days anyway?

I'd like to have it sold by the end of August so that I have some money to put towards either a new iMac if they're really special, or more likely a Powerbook.

6. budaapple macrumors regular

cube

What do you want for the cube and what is the config. Email me at p1vue@yahoo.com
    Thanks

7. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

Long auctions are preferred if the item is starting at rather expensive price. That give people to get funds together or to consider it, or to convince their loved ones/parents to get it for them and to work for it.
    However, if the item is under $1000 (I think that is about reasonable price), shorter auctions are advantageous, because people don't start bidding until the last 2-3 days of auction.
    What you could do is to set a buy it now price and make it a longer auction. Interested buyers will buy right away.
    Have you posted your unit to classified here? You could save a lot of money that way. But be careful about payments.

8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I'm glad you have the original packaging. That will make shipping a whole lot better. UPS likes computers in original containers and they're pretty secure.

Let me tell you how not to pack a Cube: Lay about 1" of crumpled newspaper on the bottom of a box. Insert Cube with the drive facing up. Fill the rest of the box with crumpled newspaper and other filler. This will most likely result in the metal chassis pulling away from the plastic case. That's what happened when I bought my Cube on Ebay. Then I learned about he UPS claims process, which would have required me to send the computer back to the seller so HE could file the claim and send me the money. It's ugly. Here is the anatomy of a bad Ebay deal.

Also, I agree that selling the Cube seperate from the display is the way to go.

Have you sold on Ebay before? If you have low feedback it's going to make it harder to sell. Your buyer may have low feedback too and it could be messy.

9. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

On Auction Length:
    Another good strategy is to have the auction end on a Friday night or saturday evening, as that is when eBay reaches peak usage.

10. dobbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

dobbin

That is a good idea, I would never have thought of this!

SolidGun, yes I had thought of posting to the classifieds here, but as I am in the UK I think I will need to reach as wide an audience as possible to sell this for a decent price. Hence I will probably use ebay as well.

Thanks again for your advice all. I'll post on MR again when the auction goes up for anyone here that is interested.

Cheers.