eBay Advice

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kwyjibo, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I need some help with an eBay deal that I'm about to take and I want to run it by some other people to make sure there aren't any loop holes.

So I'm selling my powerbookand I said in the auction, Paypal or USPS Money Order only, to hopefully protect me financially as much as possible .... I expect one of these forms of payments.

So I got this email today

"Dear xboxuser34,

Hello, I want to buy now your item, let me know if you accept escrow. I'm in California and I' require UPS Next Day. Let me know total price for all. I'm asking you this because I'm very interested on purchasing your item and I will try to win the auction. I have a convention in Vegas next week and I need the hardware by then. All I need is a fast and fair deal. Let me know. Regards, David"

So he's asking me a lot, but he's located in the US and wants to use an escrow service. These are good signs I think. He also has reasonable feedback but hasn't used eBay since september. I'm very interested if this guy is serious but I want to know any more precatuations I can take. I insisted on escrow.com and that he would pay all of those fees. How long does an escrow service take? What are your suspicisions, is it obvious that theres a chance i'll get screwed?

kwyjibo

2. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

I was burned on eBay when I sold my PB 667MHz a couple of years ago. I was lead to a faux escrow site, and - like a fool - sent the PB to the Ukraine (sp?). Never got my 2,400.00. :mad:

Bottom line: NEVER use escrow!

Ignore emails asking to "buy it now". Macs are hot sellers on eBay, and you will get your money.

3. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

well I said only an established escrow site, I mean escrow.com is pretty relaible from what i've heard they're not a fly by night company. This powerbook wouldn't leave the country and I would make the auction go through eBay.

4. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

Another thing, I would advise using a lower starting bid to encourage users to bid. Look at what others are selling their 867s for on eBay. You can get a new PowerBook for a couple hundred more than your asking price.

5. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I'd avoid that seller. Scammers always seem to want the item your selling immeaditly, they have some sense of urgency (in this case, him going to Vegas). And I wouldn't use escrow. Ever.

And don't you find it odd that his account hasn't been used since September? I do. A hijacked account maybe?

I'd stay away from this one.

6. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i understand this, but i've done my price research, bids will come just fine, but I need some cash to order my new powerbook to replace this one, i wasnt' especially trying to find info on how to sell it because I beleive it will sell at or above 1000, i more need advice on the guys email

7. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I'm unusure of why everyone is afraid of legitimate escrow services. I need to find out how he wants to pay. I also can sympathize, I mean I can understand some urgency. It depends on if he raises any more flags ... if he doesn't then i'll go through with it if he does i'll drop it.

i'm the seller ...

8. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

i would go for it if he will use escrow.com and pay the fees. set up the transaction yourself to make sure the terms are what you want. he will have to send him money to them before they tell you to send the computer to him, so you know the money is there. then they hold on to the money until he either sends the computer back to you or his inspection period runs out. then you get the money. end of story. i don't see a big problem with this... :confused:

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

What if he gives the money to escrow, then you send the PB, and when he gets it, he tells the escrow that he never got the PB, and got his money back? You're screwed then?

10. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

with escrow you have to send via a trackable service so theres none of that, if that happens then it will be insured by fedex for the full amount.

11. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I'd say this sounds more like a hijacked account and the person is trying to scam you. Definately do not settle off of ebay, that is one of the surest signs the person is trying to take you to the cleaners.

12. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

I'm 99.99% sure that it's a scam. Yes I know that escrow.com is a legitimate escrow service, but the whole thing screams scam to me. Especially the part about "I need it fast...".

Why take a chance? I'm sure that you won't have a hard time finding a buyer.

13. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I'd avoid this person if I were the one selling. If he needs it next week, he's probably going to Paypal the money to you. I know some people out there swear by it, but I've heard far too many horror stories. When I sell something through ebay (both times to date) I always require either 1) a USPS money order or 2) a certified cashier's check. I also always wait until the item clears and the cash is in my hand before I ship. Always ship with insurance, and make them pay for it.

Judging from this person's reply, some of the syntax he uses makes it seem that English is *not* his first language. I know that sounds somewhat pejorative, but given that a good portion of the scammers are from overseas, it would make me wary of dealing with him.

14. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

15. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I haven't heard from him since that first email, hopefully some strong language and the saying that several things were non negotiable scared him off. Doing business with him will depend on how he responds, pure and simple, if I get a shady vibe anymore then its done, if I don't i'll consider and probably post here again.

I'm going to accept payments via paypal no matter what ... I've had no problems with the service.

16. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Don't do buisiness with him. Other buyers will be *easy* to find. On eBay, don't bother with anything that is the tiniest bit sketchy.

17. Zazette macrumors newbie

Escrow

Escrow in French means "stealer"! Well, it's not the same spelling....but it sure sounds like it. :rolleyes:

18. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

he never emailed me back, my guess is that strong language and repetition of the term non-negotiable scared him off ...

19. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Hey Kwyjibo, I have one of those Spire bags myself... been using it for almost 4 years now to tote around a variety of Sony notebooks. VERY nice!

BTW, I agree with the others... this buyer smells of a scammer.