ebay advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by turtlebud, Jan 30, 2007.

1. turtlebud macrumors 6502

I bought a monster ipod car charger from ebay - the picture showed the new version with the line out. I asked the seller if the item was the one pictured in the auction just to be sure cause I know that there's an older version out there and he said it was the same.

So I get the charger and it's the old version. I email him and tell him that the one he sold me is different from the one picture and there's no line out on it. He responds that he never said there was a line out and that there isn't one in the picture. I tell him, that I agree he never said there was a line out, but I disagree that the picture doesn't show a line out. So I send him this comparison shot to show him what I'm talking about.

comparison

He responds by reaffirming that he didn't say there was a line out and that he didn't realize the picture was different. He offered to refund the price of the item (not shipping though) if I send it back to him.

Here's my thing - the money itself isn't the issue (I paid $7 for the item & shipping). My problem is I didn't want this charger, I wanted the one picture in his auction, and he sold me something different from what he advertised. In a perfect world, he'd send me the charger pictured in his auction and pay to have the one he sold me shipped back to him since this is really his fault and not mine.

I'm not sure what I should do at this point - it would cost me the $4 to ship it back to him, which is how much he'd refund to me (as the price of the item). I don't think it deserves negative feedback on ebay, but I really don't want to leave positive feedback cause it was a bad experience. And of course, there's the chance that if I leave neutral of negative feedback he'll do the same to me. Advice?

2. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

did you pay by paypal?

you should open a dispute with ebay, and demand that he pays for refund you the money with both way shipping.

ebay might want you to open dispute on paypal if that's who you paid from, if so, do that.

he might not have to pay the shipping back to him... if that's the case, just use the cheapest mean to send it to him.

if he leaves a negative feedback, you might be able to have ebay remove it, since he's retaliating