eBay... Am I doing Something wrong Here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by berkleeboy210, Dec 22, 2005.

1. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

Sep 2, 2004
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Hi Gang,

Having some issues with a buyer on eBay and was wondering what your opinions were on this.

I sold my Cell Phone on Friday Night @ about 10pm. I clearly state that I ship out within 2-3 days after payment has been recieved.

I shipped on Tuesday 2nd Day Air UPS. It wasn't delivered today, and the guy is blaming me. and giving me a lot of crap about it.

He wanted me to rush to ship it b/c he was w/ out a phone, and i said that it wasn't my problem and he should of read through my shipping/payment rules before bidding on the item.

So am I doing anything wrong here?

I still shipped it out in 2 days, b/c weekends don't count. And It's not my fault that UPS didn't deliver it today...

What are your opinions on this?
  2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Give him the UPS waybill number and tell him to ask UPS where it is. Once you have given it to the courier within the terms of your agreement and by the shipping method agreed, then it is not your responsibility if UPS's planes are grounded by snow or their delivery truck couldn't find the address, or the buyer wasn't home.

Just be clear that in your auction you did not imply a DELIVERY time -- that you woud ship it OUT in 2-3 days. He probably read this "receive it in 2-3 days"

Hopefully you sent it signature required, so you can prove delivery.
  4. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Feb 19, 2003
    Planet Zebes
    You are doing nothing wrong. Tell him to re-read the fine print on the eBay selling page. This is his problem not yours.
  5. berkleeboy210 thread starter macrumors 68000

Sep 2, 2004
    Boston, Massachusetts
    the problem is that now on ebay auctions they list the in transit times. and i'm thinking people are getting that confused with the ship out times.
  6. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Sep 25, 2004
    Tell him to read the description ebay automatically posts below the shipping costs and transit times:

*Sellers are not responsible for service transit time. This information is provided by the carrier and excludes weekends and holidays. Note that transit times may vary, particularly during peak periods.

Once you've given the package to UPS your job is done.. tell him to argue with the UPS guy.. I sell a lot of stuff on ebay and I can't even tell you how idiotic some people are. They'll buy something from me and 5 minutes later..I'll get an email "Have you shipped the item? I paid promptly, give me a tracking number" Geez!
  7. berkleeboy210 thread starter macrumors 68000

Sep 2, 2004
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Here's a copy of the email he sent me

"I ordered another VX9800 Sunday night and got it yesterday.

And if I don't get yours tomorrow I will be refusing delivery and sending it
    right back to you. Then going through Paypal to get my money back.

You know if it was me and I had a customer that was willing to pay extra to
    get it here ASAP. And that customer expressed concerns about not getting
    the item fast enough doing it the way you were insisting. Would have been
    smart on your part to cancel the transaction, or simply get your lazy ass
    out of bed Monday morning and ship it like I asked. I told you I was
    willing to pay more to make it happen but you told me to "relax you will
    have it on Wed". Well I relaxed and it is still not here on Thursday.

Now you deserve the negative feedback I will leave for you.

Have a great holiday buddy."

What an ass huh?
  8. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Well, that guys email was incredibly rude, especially the "have a nice holiday buddy" but.....

Why don't saturdays count?

When he said he was in a hurry for it, telling him "it wasn't my problem" is a terrible, terrible business practice and a great way to lose customers, no matter what business your in - even ebay. Better communication on your part might have made the situation a little less nasty.

The very best sellers on ebay seem to get their shipments off fast. Good (for you) that you state that you ship in 2-3 days (hopefully clearly stating Saturdays don't count), and most of the time that will be more than enough for most people.. but on timely orders like rapidly approaching holidays and someone w/out a cell phone, couldn't you just have been the good guy and sent it out Saturday morning or monday morning.... just good business.
  9. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Jul 12, 2004
    There are alot more of those type of people on eBay these days. Its making it hard for private sellers to deal with these people. Did you try to use eBay's SafeHarbor/Fair Trade (something like that) system? It would help you resolve these kinds of problems.
    Good luck :)
  10. berkleeboy210 thread starter macrumors 68000

Sep 2, 2004
    Boston, Massachusetts
    The guy has an unconfirmed paypal address thats aother reason.... 2 days on eBay is still fast shipping
  11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Just love the, "It absolutely must be here 'Yesterday' so it can sit in their inbox for a week to a month."