eBay.... am I going crazy?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by howtoplaydead, Mar 2, 2004.

1. howtoplaydead macrumors member

There is no possible way that i can be the only person to notice this immense glitch on eBay. I know that it isn't my machine.

As I was browsing over cars on eBayMotors.com, I noticed the most peculiar thing: When sorting cars by year, the order was: 1985, 1986, 1987,1988,1988,1989,1976,1976,1977,1978,1978,1978,1979,1990,1991,1991,1993,1994..... and so on.

there was no reported glitch anywhere... I searched

The point being: I think someone has seriously either hacked or screwed up when updating eBay.

Someone try the following:
    Go to ebaymotors.com
    pick BMW for example
    sort by year (so that you're starting with the oldest car)

You'll notice that there will be less than 5 or so cars older than 1980, however, if you notice the 2002 series BMW link under the search criteria box, there are 14 (at my time of viewing) 2002s listed, look at those. aside from a few post 1980 cars, there are more of those pre-80 alone than in the list that is supposed to cover all BMWs.

Also check the "other models" area, where everything is absolutely wacked, sort by year.

Someone also look at Mercedes. If you sort by year (and start by oldest), You'll notice that there are 33 pages of Mercedes. Jump from page to page, although all cars on a single page are in order by year, they aren't in order from page to page (the pages aren't in order).

Maybe I'm just crazy, but trust me, this isn't how its supposed to be. I've bought several cars on eBay, and as I was looking for one today, I noticed that this is different, likely to be wrong.

This is furthermore also grounds for someone to sue eBay, their item wasn't run across by a potential buyer. I was looking for old cars, yet I couldn't find all of the ones I could have potentially bid upon.

Like I said, maybe I am crazy, and I just wanted to share this with somebody. I really want someone to go check this out and confirm my mental stability.

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

3. howtoplaydead thread starter macrumors member

I just want quick resposnses, and I'm sort of a noob here. i didn't know the corect place for the thread

4. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

How about the special eBay glitches forum? ;)

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

general apple and tech questions would have been enough :)

6. howtoplaydead thread starter macrumors member

7. howtoplaydead thread starter macrumors member

honestly people, I really want you to check this out, i need confirmation of mental stability

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I would check it out but for some reason it just seems more fun to let you believe you're crazy. :)

I'm sure you're not crazy. The database doesn't display the cars in the right order. Big whoop. Next.

EDIT: Okay. I decided to go "look" at what you were describing and I can't reproduce it. So maybe you are crazy.

*points at crazy boy* :cool:

9. howtoplaydead thread starter macrumors member

I know that it isn't a big deal, it just messes with my head, besides, i am a little insane.

I believe it better to be slightly off than be completely accepting of the awful reality that it is this world and what it has become, so i choose not to look into it. Sure, some may say that in order to come to this conclusion i would first have to realize this reality and accept it as reality; however, I believe that I have, although I ignore it.

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, your surrounded my mentally stable people.
    It's just hard for you to tell, because you have a chemical imbalance or severe personality defect. [​IMG]

Of course you can always ask a doctor if your insurance covers that sort of thing. ;)

11. howtoplaydead thread starter macrumors member

I don't have insurance

12. janey macrumors 603

janey

nope. but i did ask one of the mods to remove one or the other...

13. howtoplaydead thread starter macrumors member

oh, i thought you were a mod. because of the special status rank and everything... I guess 15 year-old girls of Asian decendency just don't become mods :confused: , or maybe they just haven't yet.

14. janey macrumors 603

janey

i'm not 15 ;)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Applegoddess

15. howtoplaydead thread starter macrumors member

It was a generalization..... sorry, but specifics are nice :)

16. howtoplaydead thread starter macrumors member

So there is absolutely nobody who wants to check eBay's flaws out?

fine. :rolleyes:

c'me on, please... somebody :(

17. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I checked it (read up above)... didn't see anything. You're officially crazy by my standards...

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :D

18. Makosuke macrumors 603

You may be nuts, but you're correct that at least in some of the listings, the "sort by year" order seems to reset around the middle; I checked Alfa Romeo and Aston Martin. Don't know why; there's probably some other categorizer in effect (reserve, number of bids, or something), and I'll admit it's rather annoying if you actually wanted to shop by year, though for most car makers you'll probably be doing a model search anyway.

19. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I thought you were crazy too, til I tried the "Other Models"

here it is...

Totally unrelated, does anyone else NOT like the new forums? They perform terribly and don't get along with my popup blocking browser.

Attached Files:

20. howtoplaydead thread starter macrumors member

see! I'm not crazy, sort of! I finally posted a thread in the ebay forums, I'm not sure that it'll get anyone to do anything, I also doubt that anyone can understand it (I'd probably have to read it 10 times to understand it, but I'm ADD to the max).

But i'm happy that somebody sympathises with my annoyance, thanks for the screenshot, Peecee user. :)

21. howtoplaydead thread starter macrumors member

p.s
    I have a hypothesis that the sorting problem is due to an effect of date of listing or time till auction ends (before the effect of the year of the car).

22. howtoplaydead thread starter macrumors member

sorry, I didn't notice the previous post in its entirety, but i'm not entirely psyco, I mean crazy. Distinctions between crazy people and psycoes should be made.

23. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I dunno... it just looks like it does that because of the increase of price...

I know some palces do that even tho you never said to filter out __ over $$ ___