eBay Buyer trying to screw me?

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacAztec, Jul 1, 2005.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

So, about 3 weeks ago I sold my iPod Mini Silver 6GB on eBay for 247. It included a Mini iSkin and was in flawless condition. I shipped it out in the original box (very secure and tight packed).

Just yesterday I emailed teh buyer and asked him to leave feedback. He tells me that the iPod was cracked, and he was going to file a complaint with eBay (3 weeks later). I find this VERY VERY hard to believe, considering this happened 3 weeks later, the iPod shipped in APple's packaging (very sturdy). What should I do?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

See if guy will send you a picture of the packaging and the iPod.

If it was damaged in shipping the packaging would be messed up, and the claim would be against the shipping company.

But waiting 3 weeks to say it's broken is a little odd and makes it sound like he dropped it.

3. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

If you sent it insured tell him to take it up with the shipper, i always take photos (with date from camera) of the device before i send it so i can prove that it was flawless. Sounds like the person is trying to get a ipod for free.

Ed

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Have him send you a picture for starters, to verify it is indeed broken/damaged. That will rule out the whole thing of him claiming it was damaged when it actually is perfect. If it is damaged, by his own actions quite possibly, then at least you know he hasn't got a perfectly working iPod and is simply lying about its condition.

Three other things:

- Did you insure the package? I always insure my packages for this very reason - then the blame can be put on the shipping company in most cases.

- Did you take a photo of it before shipping it? Again, I always do this, just as Ed H mentioned, to prove the condition of the item before it is shipped.

- Did you verify his references and background?

When dealing on eBay, and life in general, you gotta learn to cover your ass!

5. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I insured the iPod for $250. I also have pictures (becuase I put it on eBay).

He seemed to be a semi-legit eBayer.

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

That's rough then. Good job on doing your due diligence though, so many people leave themselves wide open to potential hazards like this. I hope things work out for ya - perhaps you should report him to eBay! ;)

7. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I honestly think he wants a new iPod (color), and he realizes for $50 more he could have one, so he is saying this now. I am calling BS though, I will not send him a penny back.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Good for you. And good point, that could very well be the case. At least you received the payment, and are not left out to dry. It sounds as though the burden of proof will be on him to prove that the goods were damaged, and if you have photos, etc., you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Hopefully this doesn't cause a big headache for ya though - keep us posted.

9. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i had someone try to return a dvd burner back to me saying it was scratching the blanks, i think i posted about it here, 3 months after he got it. He paid about $30 more than a newer burner.