Ebay Dispute--I Need Suggestions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Horrortaxi, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I bought a G4 cube on Ebay last week. The seller has 0 feedback but I figured I could walk the seller through the deal since I've bought/sold a lot on Ebay. I was pretty much right about what to expect but the seller is screwing me a little. For some reason he wanted to COD the shipping. Originally he gave me a really high quote and when I questioned him on it he said it was from "UPS Store". I told him to go straight to UPS and it would be a lot less. I gave him a maximum I was willing to spend and he agreed it would be more than enough. The next day he sent me an email saying he shipped the computer but there was an unexpected hitch. He had packed it poorly and UPS wouldn't take it so he paid them $50 to do it right--$50 payable by me when I receive the computer. I told him it's unacceptable and he said packaging is part of shipping, and the buyer is responsible for shipping.

Apart from saying I'm a dumbarse for dealing with the noob, does anybody have a good idea how to deal with this? I could pay the extra, be bitter, and leave the guy negative feedback. Or I could refuse the package and dispute the charge with my credit card and PayPal. Anybody been in a similar situation?

2. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Re: Ebay Dispute--I Need Suggestions

If you are paying for it COD, why do you have a charge on your credit card??? There is ZERO reason to COD something if you have already paid for it.

3. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Re: Ebay Dispute--I Need Suggestions

I don't know anybody that won in a dispute with PayPal. Once they have your money, it's almost impossible to get it back :(

On the other hand, you have an excellent chance of disputing any extra charges with your CC company. Especially if you have the email confirming all the charges, including any shipping or sales tax charges.

You should have received an email from Ebay confirming the sale, plus one from PayPal too. Sometimes you'll even get a third one from the seller. Either way, once he has agreed in writing to that price - which is exactly what the confirmation email is confirming - he cannot fudge the numbers. Period!!!

4. Horrortaxi thread starter macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Re: Re: Ebay Dispute--I Need Suggestions

Item was PayPal, shipping costs only are COD. That's why it is a messy deal. Assuming the computer is as described then I got what I paid for. The shipping is sort of a secondary deal. The seller broke our contract for shipping, but can that negate the whole deal--at least as far as Mastercard is concerned? Messy.

5. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    I'm pretty sure that once the shipping and handling charges are quoted, you aren't supposed to change them. I once sold a computer on eBay, and the buyer was in Puerto Rico and wanted three day shipping. I told him $57, but it ended up being around $65. I ate the extra cost, my customer stayed happy.

6. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Re: Re: Re: Ebay Dispute--I Need Suggestions

Well to state the obvious, the person you are buy this from is a complete moron. If he is going to overcharge you for shipping, he could at least pocket the cash and not waste it on COD and packaging charges.

How do you know that he got the Cube packaged (besides him telling you)?? And $50 for that seems like a whole lot for that.

Here's something I found on ebay:

What the seller did doesn't sound reasonable to me.

Unless you got a really good deal on the Cube, then I would refuse the package. You can go through and file the appropiate forms on eBay/Paypal to try and get your money back.
    Be sure to keep some type of proof that the package was never recieved. You can use this just in case you have to go the CC route. Your CC will give your money back if you have proof you never got the product. I know from experience.

7. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Yea, I always just charge a flat rate for items, something like $4.95. Sometimes it cost more to ship and sometimes less, but it makes things easier and evens out in the end.

Any good seller would not go changing the price of shipping after it was already quoted. I never buy anything unless the exact shipping cost is in the listings.

8. engelb15 macrumors member

I don't think you would win a dispute. Basically, when you sent the extra $50, you did that of your own free will and "agreed" to the additional charges. If you refuse the package, you may end up out of the money and have no Cube to show for it since it is very hard to get your money back from PayPal and most credit card companies don't just take your word for it any more on disputed payments.

unfortunately, you may just have to chalk up the extra $50 as experience.

9. slowtreme macrumors 6502

Either way, you won't get any shipping charges back for Paypal, only the sale price you bid on ebay. So you most likely would get:

A refund from paypal for the bid price (may take up to a month)
    No Mac Cube
    Negative feedback for two people

Or you could pay the $50 to UPS when they get there, make the Driver wait while you open the carton to see if the Cube is even inside, and hopefully the guy didn't totally rob you.

10. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Hmm, you said the guy had no feedback right? Hes probably going to be more hurt about the negative comment than you will. Also he wouldn't know how to repond to it. I would try and but him a deal like splittingthe packaging cost, and make sure you tell him hes violating ebay's rules by charging excessive shipping

11. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

I ebay alot - computers too.
    There's an inherent risk - so first yo need to decide "Do I wan this cube"
    If the answe tis yes, you then need to let go of the "i'm being ripped off" and enjoy the cube
    That being said you can
    1. Try to negotiate with seller
    2. File fraud complaint with ebay - this may scare him into being nice
    3. Contact POlice in his area - fear factor
    4. Contact Intnert Fraud Division of FBI - fear factor
    5. If charge went through your credit card- you can dispute.
    6. Threaten to leave negative feedback

All of this may work in your favor to get you the $50.

is it worth your time?

will it work??

if you file a complaint with ebay they may refund your $ - processing fee

12. Horrortaxi thread starter macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Last night I emailed the seller and told him if he didn't refund everything over our agreed price that I'd leave negative feedback and perhaps refuse the package and dispute the cc charge--thereby costing him a LOT of money. This morning he sent me the difference. Cool.

As for the seller being a moron--that's pretty much my assessment too. Beyond being a naive Ebay newbie he has poor judgement. Go $50 over our agreed upon price? Sure, no problem! Even though that amount is $10 over the amount I pitched a fit over because it was way excessive? Sure, no problem! Whine about having to lug the computer to UPS and buy a box? Idiot. The final straw is that he didn't even give me the right amount for the shipping COD! He rounded down by $2.13. So if UPS showed up and I gave them a money order, it wouldn't have been for enough. I think "moron" just about sums it up.

Now it's just down to the quality of the computer. Will it be broken? Will it be a box of bricks? I think he's an honest moron but we'll see.

13. engelb15 macrumors member

Glad to hear that you got it resolved, its always best to just try to work it out between you and the seller (even if he is a knucklehead).

My fingers are crossed for you that you do get your cube and not a box of rocks. ;)

14. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

I've jhad some surprisingly bad expereicnes on enay - just reinforces my surprise that people can still reain in busness- or as they say on "Frieds" about Joey - "Why doesn'the fall down more"
    it is amazing...

15. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

forget it.

get your money back as fast as possible and don't ever buy anything valued over $100 from someone with less than (10) feedback.

16. synergy macrumors regular

How is he going to be hurt with one negative feedback when he has zero?

Its not like ebay won't let him register another brand new userid.

17. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

And be sure that 10 positive feedback is for selling similar items. Feedback for buying and selling little DVD's or something doesn't count.

E-mail the other buyers if you have to.

18. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

thats true.

19. slowtreme macrumors 6502

Just had to giggle, I mean hey *I* typo a lot, but...

Got Keyboard?

20. Horrortaxi thread starter macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ebay Dispute--I Need Suggestions

Since the seller complied with my request I'm keeping it, but while we're on the subject--how do you think this rates? $710 for the cube (450 w. 576MB) kbd, mouse, speakers, software, and 15" Apple display.