Ebay etiquette

Discussion in 'Community' started by Royal Pineapple, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

ok i am new to ebay and have just made my first purchase, now do i email the seller or wait for him/her to email me? or do we not talk atall?
    how does this kinda thing work?

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If you got e-mail from eBay confirming that you won an auction, and you have all the information about payment and shipping, it is fine to go ahead and submit your payment. On the other hand, if you have questions, don't be shy about initiating the conversation. In either case, you might or might not hear from the seller first. There's no hard and fast rule of social etiquette (or netiquette).

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Normally it's best to follow the rules to a T... He should contact you within 3 days, giving you a final price and perhaps payment information, you should reply stating your intentions for paying. Field anything incidental that comes up, but don't pester the person... Within 10 days you are obligated to pay, and within another 10 days they're obligated to ship, unless otherwise stated. Once you've received it, email them confirming proper shipment and condition, and leave positive feedback.

this is all from memory, could be wrong. Best advice is to *be*patient*... the internet works fast, true, but people have real lives. as both buyer and seller, nothing is more annoying than being rushed through the process by someone who can't wait for their money/item. eBay gives specific rules governing the time limits for things, they're essential as many people have difficult schedules. It's not the most polite to take the full deadline to do the step, but you have the right to.

pnw

4. iGav macrumors G3

I alway zapp them off a cheery email as soon I as know I've won...

Generally requesting for an address to send payment to (I've not sold anything over eBay as yet!)

As soon as I've sorted out payment, if I'm posting it then I let them know details such as carrier, codes etc and ask them to contact me if it doesn't turn up within the specified time.

I guess I've been quite lucky over eBay, everyone I've dealt with has been absolutely spot on.