Ebay Going to the Pits

Discussion in 'Community' started by jaw04005, Jun 2, 2004.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

As of last night, I placed an auction on Ebay for a Sony Z1 series notebook that I'm selling for my business. Its amazing how crappy ebay has gotten so far I have gotten three "unique (to say the least)" questions regarding the notebook.

Question 1:

Dear jwaireknowsbest,

hi... i'm researching the sony z1 (not going to bid on your auction), so i'm wondering y u're selling it for a mac... r u dissatisfied with the performance... please explain now

Thank you,
    king-bug

Question 2:

Dear jwaireknowsbest,

PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY DO NOT BID ON THIS ITEM I WILL GIVE YOU THE INFORMATION FOR FREE PLEASE JUST E-MAIL ME AND I WILL TELL YOU HOW TO GET THE SAID LAPTOP AND OTHER STUFF FOR £20 OH THE CATCH THE ONLY CATCH IS YOU REGISTER ME AS YOUR SPONSOR THATS IT OTHER PEOPLE ON E-BAY ARE SELLING THIS INFORMATION FOR HUNDREDS OF POUNDS BUT I AM GIVING IT AWAY SO ONCE AGAIN PLEASE DONT BID FOR THE ITEM JUST E-MAIL ME FOR THE INFORMATION

Thank you,
    amadiof25

Question 3:

Dear jwaireknowsbest,

Hello: Am originaly from Searcy but currently in Sydney,Australia to complete my Project, My one was stolen last week. I need one urgently but I can't afford to buy a new one. Could u consider $1000/-? Shipping to Sydney Pretty much same cost to USA, Plz consider shipping down under. You are helping a student. Plz email me assp. Am in the Sydney University, which is in the central business district. Thanks

Thank you,
    birdi01

LOL, I reported the top two to Ebay's abuse forum. The third sounds suspicious considering I live in an extremely small town, not to mention 1,000 is nowhere near what I expect to get for the notebook.

I'm sure the auction will turn out fine, but the spam and con-artists trying to sucker ebay users is getting out of hand.

Josh

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

3. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Ebay going to the pits, NO WAY!!!!

not with auctions like this
    [size=-5]if you can't figure it out, look at the photos carefully.[/size]

4. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

That's just freakin stupid. In the second shot, you can actually SEE the keyboard. What an idiot. At least TRY to fake it.

The winning bidder has the screename "ferrarifraudbuster". Now thats funny.

5. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

That is quite humorous. :) I hope not too many people get suckered into things like this. Oh well. I'm hoping.

6. russed macrumors 68000

russed

it is stuff like this which has stopped me from using ebay yet, i just dont trust it for some reason!

7. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I'm not sure how you can say that Ebay is going to the pits based on user responses to your auction. That is the whole point - anyone, no matter how sketchy or weird, can bid. If you want to talk about fraud, then it might be fair to say that Ebay has gone downhill a bit. The % of cases is still very low, but as users increase - the number of fraud cases increases as well. (3% fraud on 100 items = three; 3% fraud on eleventy-billion items is a lot) :p

8. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia

Just be smart, read Ebay's tips about how to prevent fraud. I ignore any requests for transactions outside of ebay using escrow services, unless they agree to use a service of my choice, or pay by some other certified means. The same goes for people offering to sell you something offline.

Use an email account just for ebay if you can, that cuts down on the trolling spam emails looking for addresses/passwords. NEVER send cash/wire transfer, especially to those out of the country.

Be smart, use common sense, and you should be fine. And remember, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

What the heck are you guys seeing that I'm not? :confused:

I'm guessing it's a fake judging from the comments, but then again I know absolutely nothing about engines. Please enlighten me...

10. MacRohde macrumors regular

MacRohde

You can see the guy's keyboard in the second picture, and it's almost bigger than the supposed real engine, i.e. it's a model.

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

look at the second picture. you'll notice a keyboard.... the "engine" is freaking tiny! hah

edit: ok. beat me to it

12. Spizzo macrumors 6502

Yeah...but...

There was some good detail work put into that model. I think it was worth the 7600 bucks. :rolleyes:

13. craigdawg macrumors 6502

I had someone bid on an iTrip I had put up for auction, after which she emailed me to ask me what it was used for.

Overall, I've had a good experience with eBay both as a seller and buyer.

14. pooky macrumors 6502

Notice the name of the winner? Ferrarifraudbuster. Somehow I don't think the seller will be getting the cash...

15. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I notice that their site has been very slow lately. Or has it always been like that? Either way, it takes a painfully long time to load...

16. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

They recently updated to eBay 2.0, which I can't stand. I liked the other version better--but thats why everything has been a tad slow lately.

The only way to control fraudulent bidders and sellers is for eBay users to actually take the time to fill out the forms required to report the fraudulent users. Most people do not take the time to do this.

17. King Cobra macrumors 603

Oh, man...when I was in H.S. last year, the servers blocked www.ebay.com but never blocked this site.

18. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

LOL, NOW I see it... heh. :eek: I thought you guys meant that the keyboard was somehow part of the fake engine and I wasn't seeing it. Never thought to look at the reflection in the background...

19. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

Generally, I have had a great experience with eBay. The majority of eBay users are honest, however lately the scams are getting out of hand.

20. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

I have sold a few items on Craigslist.com, a free online ad website that currently only is available in a few cities. Anyway, it is incredible, for every one legitimate email/offer I get at least 4 scam emails. My favorite:

Good Day Sir,

I am and american business man live in London UK. I am very interested in your 500 mhz G4 Powerbook for $1000. I use very good international shipp. I have client owes me $4000. I will send you cashiers cheque for $4000 and you send me $3250 back. I much interested for you to tell me the condition and price of 500 mhz G4 Powerbook.

yours,

Vlasnik Pfefferburg.

21. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Say, thats awfully poor grammer for an American Businessman? ;)

22. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

Yes, indeed, hmmmm, veeeeeeeeeeeerrrry interesting. :rolleyes:

23. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

Favorite "question" yet:

Dear jwaireknowsbest,

HELLO SELLER, I AM A GENERAL MERCHANT HAVING AN OUTLET IN AFRICA.I WILL LIKE TO GET 2 OF YOUR ITEM FOR MY STORE IN AFRICA URGENTLY.THE RECENT DEMAND FOR THIS ITEM IS BECOMING DRASCTICALLY ENCOURAGING AND I WILL NOT WANT TO DISAPPOINT MY CUSTOMER IN ANY FORM.I KEEP RECEIVING CALLS EVERYDAY FROM MY OFFICE ATTENDANT IN AFRICA THAT THE ITEM SHOULD BE SEND WITHOUT DELAY.HOWEVER, I WILL NEED THIS ITEM SEND TO AFRICA.I WILL LIKE TO KNOW IF YOU WILL RELEASE THE ITEMS FOR ME UPON APPROVAL COMFIMATION LETTER FROM WESTERN U NION AUCTION PAYMENT.I WILL NOT WANT YOU TO BOTHER ABOUT THE SHIPPING OF THE ITEM TO AFRICA,I WILL HANDLE THE SHIPPING MYSELF WITH THE AID OF MY UPS ACCOUNT.OKAY?ONCE I HAVE MAKE THE PAYMENT TO WESTERN UNION AUCTION PAYMENT,A PENDING LETTER WILL BE SEND TO YOU AFTER WHICH AN APPROVAL COMFIRMATION LETTER WILL FOLLOW AFTER WHICH I WILL HAVE THE ITEM SHIP TO ITS DESTINATION IN AFRICA.I WILL WANT YOU TO SEND YOUR FULL NAME AND ADDRESS TO ME IF YOU CAN HELP IN THIS REGARDS,SO AS TO MAKE THE PAYMENT RIGHT AW AY.I WILL WANT YOU CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF THE TWO ITEMS INCLUDING THE HANDLING SERVICE AND GET BACK TO ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.OKAY?MARGERETJOHNSON STORE WILL BE PAYING $1500 FOR YOUR UNIT. THANKING YOU IN ANTICIPATION FOR YOUR CONCERN. REGARDS,

Thank you,
    margeretjohnson20

Sure.... I'll get that information out right way, yahhhhhh right.

24. sjjordan macrumors 6502

I sold my 10GB ipod about a year ago, and the next day had a guy email me wanting to sell me his 30GB for only $250. It was $500 at the time. He told me to overnight the money and he'd "send me my ipod". IT WAS URGENT. I emailed him the next week and found out that it was STILL URGENT!

I also had some loser tell me that I'd never get $150 for my ipod, but he'd graciously buy it right away for $125.

Moral of the Story:

Watch out for people trying to sell you a similar item that you just sold!