Ebay gripe, people who don't leave FEEDBACK!

Discussion in 'Community' started by 840quadra, Jun 8, 2005.

1. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

This gripe is to ALL ebay users that don't leave feedback for PAID (on time) auctions! I have 4 people who have NOT left me feedback, for items I paid for via buy it now, through Paypall. I know I am a jerk, but I won't leave positive feedback for anyone until they leave it for me first, and I have had to ask for feedback 2 times, and one person said they wouldn't leave it until I did first. WTF I paid them via Buy it now, and with Paypall less then 2 minutes after the end of the auction, and they want ME TO LEAVE FEEDBACK FIRST!?!?

It drives me nuts when I pay for something right away, and the seller won't leave feedback until I leave positive for them. If I paid YOU I did MY part, and your feedback to me should be given when you accept the money!

Sorry just venting!

Needs to stay off Ebay for a bit!!

2. RacerX macrumors 65832

Actually, as buyer you should be leaving feedback first... after you get the item. That is how they know that the transaction has been completed successfully.

It sounds like you want them to give up their ability to leave feedback before the transaction has ended... that sounds pretty bad to me.

There are people on ebay who will try and scam a seller (often by saying that they never got an item or that an item was damaged/broken even if it wasn't.

By how you want people to leave you feedback, they would have lost the recourse of giving you negative feedback if you... well, are a jerk.

I've been using ebay since 1998 and that has been how I've always done things.

Besides, feedback isn't a requirement. And pushing someone is a good way of getting neutral or negative feedback... is that what you want?

3. 840quadra thread starter Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Good points,

But the way I see it (possibly closed minded I am) once someone has paid me, they have completed their end of the deal, and I leave feedback in regards to that right away (which I do when I sell items).

In times of a dispute, it gives me more of a trusting relationship with the buyer, and in my experience, the buyer is more likely to work with me with shipping issues, or issues with the product I sell them. This is because I acnoledged that they completed their end of the deal.

You are right,
    I shouldn't ask for feedback, but I am never rude about it, and always thank the seller in my request for feedback. I have only one (-) in my rank, but that was caused by someone else getting my accound information (I was stupid and used a PUBLIC comptuer to check on my auction). Ebay wouldn't let me back out of the bid that SOMEONE else bid on, and the seller was actually a prick, and wouldn't work with me on this.

I now have an extra compicated password, and I never use public computers anymore for my Ebaying ;)

4. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Simple policy

When I'm the buyer, I've had too many instances where I have left feedback and still didn't get any in return from the seller. As far as I'm concerned, my part of the transaction is completed when I make payment. Feedback should be left based on that.

I leave feedback (both as buyer and as seller) based on the other party completing their part of the transaction. As mentioned, feedback is not required and as such the seller should not necessarily expect the luxury of waiting to see what feedback they receive before giving it.

I have a simple policy -- when I am the seller, I leave feedback when payment is made. When I am the buyer, I expect feedback when payment is made. If the seller doesn't think leaving feedback is important, then I don't think it's important to leave it for them.

But then again, I have proven to be trustworthy and willing to discuss any shipping problems with sellers before leaving negative feedback. I know there are people who leave it immediately if item is not received on-time.

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Look, you're supposed to post feedback first if you're a buyer. This implies to the seller that you have received the item, and are satisified. The transaction is not officially over until the buyer receives his/her item, and is satisified. Once, I sent an item to an buyer using the address his had on his PayPal account. A few days later, I got it back with a delivery denied. I emailed the buyer asking what's up, he said to send it to his cousin in some other country because it was a gift! WTF? I told him I will not, that I have stated very clearly in my auction that I will only ship to the United States. He threatened to leave a negative unless I refunded him the money. So I did refund him the value of the item, but not the cost of shipping. He said he wants the $4 as well with a rude manner. I basically just ignored him, and waited until a day before the 90-day limit, and left him a negative. Yes he noticed, and left me a rather rude email. But there's **** he can do.

And guess what? I patted myself in the back repeatedly for NOT leaving him feedback when he paid!

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I started selling earlier this year - basically to just clean out some stuff I didn't need anymore. As a buyer I had noticed the trend for sellers to not leave feedback until the buyer had...I avoided that as first because as others have said - if the buyer bid according to the rules I set out and paid promptly they have basically held up their end of the deal. Well, twice I happened to have gotten a better price on shipping than anticipated so being a nice guy I actually paypal'd some $$ back to the buyer - not a lot, 4 or 5 dollars but it's the principle of it - I don't like it when someone overcharges for shipping so I don't want to either.....do you think either of those 2 people could be bothered to leave me feedback??? Really...I don't think it happens to often that a seller sends back some money because they got a better deal...I'd almost everyone would just pocket the extra dough....so, as a result of that I now only leave feedback after the buyer has done so for me....oh yeah!

7. mac-er macrumors 65816

As a seller, I always leave feedback once I have gotten payment.
    After the buyer has sent payment, their obligation is over, and its all in my court.

As a buyer, I will leave feedback as soon I get the product, or after the seller puts feedback for getting my payment.

8. bartelby macrumors Core

I've only ever bought stuff off ebay.
    When I receive an item I usually email the seller letting them know I have it. I also inform them I will leave feedback later, after they have left feedback for me.

9. 840quadra thread starter Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

What you do is EXACTLY what I do if the seller did not leave me feedback after I paid ON TIME. If they decide not to leave me feedback, I won't waste anymore time.

I like the input on this thread, and respect the other side of the fence. However I am sticking to my opinion on the matter :p

10. 840quadra thread starter Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

You sound like a great person to deal with on Ebay. I hope I end up needing something you sell at some point in time. I have the same idea and respect for paying people more if they take care of me.

I have a friend in the South America now because of this. he bought some car parts form me, and now I have someone in that country I can buy from if he can find stuff for me to buy. We did all of the buying on ebay at first, but now we trust eachother, and help out when we can. :)

11. efoto macrumors 68030

Agreed with the seller portion, but for the buyer, just because the seller leaves feedback (paid on time, good buyer) doesn't mean the product and everything else will show up as promised, so I usually let the seller know I will be leaving feedback once I receive the product. Usually by way of email I just tell them, and I have yet to have someone complain. As long as things arrive as I paid for them, then positive feedback is what they get, only seems fair.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, I think this is standard practice. This thread is the first time I have ever heard anyone say a buyer should leave feedback first. Each party should leave feedback when they're capable of evaluating.

- The seller should leave feedback as soon as she/he is paid, because at this point, the buyer has met all obligations

- The buyer should leave feedback as soon as he/she *receives* the product, because this is the first time the buyer can provide any useful information. How can the buyer comment on promptness or quality of goods if they haven't actually received anything yet, for instance?

I sympathize with 840 as to why he took up the procedure he has adopted, but I think it's a big problem with eBay. There are now more and more auctions where sellers state explicitly that they will leave the same feedback level as the buyer -- that's ludicrous. The seller's feedback should be based on the buyer's performance of contractual obligations, not on the buyer's feedback for the seller.

FWIW, I always leave feedback for sellers. (I have never sold.)

EDIT: But I think this is a big problem with eBay...basically, the only solution that seems to me effective is to either reward users for providing timely feedback, or change the system so that users are *forced* to leave feedback if they want to keep using eBay.

13. efoto macrumors 68030

I agree with your last statement about a problem and proposed solution, but I have zero feasible ideas for a *reward* for leaving feedback. They can't exactly give you money, well they could I just don't see it happeneing, and them matching purchases with priority or something....I just don't see it.
    I like the mandatory feedback idea, it should have been that way from the beginning IMO. As soon as a seller receives payment, next time they login they should be instantly brought to the feedback page and be required to fill out the page before preceding to their account. I know it seems childish and trivial, but 'we' obviously need something since we can't seem to do it on our own.

14. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

As a buyer and seller I believe that it is the responsibility of the buyer to leave the first feedback.

Most sellers (myself included) will not ship until they have received payment. So the final bit to be sure that the transaction was completed is the buyer receiving the item. Once the buyer confirms that the item was received and in good condition by leaving feedback, the seller can also leave feedback. Otherwise any contention about the item not being received or being in poor quality can be dealt with before feedback is left by either party. If the seller were to immediately leave feedback after receiving payment, then if the buyer tries to pull something and get a full refund on a perfectly good product there is no longer any recourse for the seller.

Example:
    You sell a computer with pre-installed software to someone. They send you payment you ship the computer and leave feedback. The buyer gets the computer copies the software and insists the computer doesn't work and demands a complete refund including shipping. Being a good seller you refund the money and find when the computer comes back that it works just fine, what can you do? If you had waited for the buyer to leave feedback you would have known that the computer was/was received and in good/bad condition and would then be able to leave honest feedback. By not waiting you could very easily give good feedback to a buyer that can still make your life very difficult.

15. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

If everyone left me feedback I'm sure I'd have a way higher rating. At the moment I'm at 98 with 100% positive. In the past 6-8 months I'd say 50% of my transactions (both buying and selling) have resulted in no feedback at all, in all of the cases where I've left positive feedback.

Feedback extortion is against eBay rules but (ignorant, stupid) people still attempt it. "sparklingbeatnik" tried it on me when I sold him a Power Mac G5. I reported his extortion attempts (email headers and all) to eBay but of course eBay wasn't especially helpful. At least I dodged negative feedback. My eBay id is murad2.