Ebay help. What is this?

Discussion in 'Community' started by masterjedi73, May 26, 2004.

1. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2004
    I'm selling a bass guitar on eBay, and I received this email from someone today. Has anyone ever seen this before?

I'm from Medan, North Sumatra. Exactly in Indonesia. I'm very interest to buy your item . Can you ship to Indonesia? If you can do that, I would like to make a purchase to your item. My offer is US $1,293.00 + $200.00 for shipping cost. The payment method is using credit card. And I want my credit card charge directly by Credit Card merchant. The shipping by TNT Courier Wolrdwide. And therefore let me pay for all the shipping cost. Mail me back soon. Thanks

To view the item, go to: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3726119436
  2. sethwerkheiser macrumors regular

Jan 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'd be skeptical. I'd only do that if I got payment FIRST, and was able to transfer that payment to my bank account before shipping.
  3. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    I would also be skeptical.

Something strange I've noticed over my years of using eBay that's worth mentioning...I have bought several items from people that specifically go out of their way to put in the auction that they *will not ship to Indonesia*. This auction made me think of that since this guy is from Indonesia. Does anyone know the reason for this?

Out of interest, I did a search on eBay for "will not ship to Indonesia" and it pulls up 804 pages worth of auctions.

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    anyone wanting to circumvent dealing with eBay is usually a scam.

be very, very wary...
  5. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2004
    that's what i figured. I just wanted to get someone else's opinion.

6. reaper macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2004
    19th Hole
    Also, even if you have the payment in your account, it's not necessarily yours. I have a friend who sold a refurbed iPod through eBay and accepted a credit card payment to his PayPal account. It turned out that the card was stolen and the money was taken back from his account, even though he had already transferred it out, giving him a negative balance with PayPal. PayPal didn't want to hear about it, since the credit card company wasn't going to pay them, and so he was not only out the iPod but the money as well.

My best recommendation is to never ship outside of the country. But if you do, make sure you have covered your bases (i.e., ship only to the authorized PayPal address, clear all funds before shipping, etc., etc.).

- reaper
  7. krimson macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2003
    Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    If I ever ship out of the states, i usually ask for some type of cash payment, either in money order, postal check, or something of that nature. Usually when they ask for a transaction out of ebay, that should tell you something is wrong.
  8. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Jun 13, 2003
    Isn't there customs paperwork you'd have to fill out too? Not only sounds like a scam, it sounds like a lot of extra work and possible unexpected charges to you. Plus, how helpful do you think the Indonesian legal system might be for you if there's a problem?

I won't deal with anyone who doesn't have lots of positive feedback on eBay, and I would only ship to US -- but to each his (or her) own.
  9. masterjedi73 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2004
    I had never planned on doing this. It sounds too shady, but I've also never been "propositioned" like that before. I reported it to ebay.
  10. dvdh macrumors 6502

Apr 6, 2004
    Fishy . . .

Note that the email does not even mention what the 'item' is. I think anyone who was actually legit would take the time to say what they are interested in buying. Looks like some sort of slightly automated scam attempt.
  11. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    Indonesia is one of the 3 worst internet fraud countries in the world. This is a scam. I've sold over 1000 items on Ebay and I've seen this crap before. Don't do it. Again, for clarity - don't do it! :cool:
  12. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

Mar 11, 2002
    Franklin, TN
    I ship hundreds of orders a day.. over 40,000 feedback from ebay..

Dont do it. Its a scam.
  13. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

Feb 4, 2004
    West Valley City, Utah
    If you want, you could always just send him out a P-P-Powerbook. *wink*