eBay Hoax?

Discussion in 'Community' started by 7on, Jun 16, 2004.

1. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    Ok so I got this email from billing@ebay.com with the subject "Verify Your eBay Account." Normally I'd think nothing of it and click the link and fill it out but the link gave me a 404 error. http://www.eBay.com/verification/%?6488820019 I instantly knew it was a hoax and trashed it. A few minutes later I got the same email only with the same link (but this time it works). It redirects me to http://secure-ebay.info.ivchost5.com/. The ivchost5 is a little suspicious, but even more suspicious is that the page says it's secure yet Safari doesn't show the lock in the upper right hand browser window. Another thing that seals the deal is an error that tells me to check the activity window. In the Activity Window there is the following "broken" link:
    That pretty much told me it was a hoax, but if it hadn't been for the first email with the bad link I wouldn't have noticed. And if it's not a hoax, the people at eBay are shoddy HTMLers ;P
  2. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

Apr 17, 2002
    Columbia, MO
    Good eye and thanks for the 'heads-up'.

I'd probably make ebay aware of this.

3. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Nov 20, 2002
    That's a scheme, beware!!

Same scheme almost got me about six weeks ago.

They are getting very crafty!
  4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    "phishing" has been around as a serious problem for about a year now, eBay, Citibank and Paypal are the most common targets. Several threads on this. As goes without saying, if they want personal info, type the address yourself-- don't use email hotlinks.

Many of the phishing scams now misspell words to foil spam filters that have been set to catch them-- so they're quite obvious.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Each clue can be enough to tip you off, but phishers (the name for this type of scammers) can make secure sites, forge From addresses, learn to speak gramatically (often another tip-off), and fool a lot more people. The real tip-off is that eBay Billing (and amazon.com, and your bank, and other major companies) do not send you e-mail asking you to re-enter your biling information. Knowing that is your best protection.
  6. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    This is an old one...

As a long time member of Ebay I often get emails from them reminding me that they will NOT email me asking me to verify my info - password, bank account etc.

Caveat emptor!!!
  7. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    Looks like someone went down to the river and was lookin' to real in something. Thanks for spotting this phishing and making us aware of it. Smart of you not to fall for it; many others would have.

As some others have stated, I would suggest contacting eBay and making it aware of this problem. Hopefully, other users have already done so, but another complaint/heads-up certainly couldn't hurt.