1. mattthemutt macrumors regular

mattthemutt

I know that this has been asked before, but how safe would you say it would be to buy a Mac off of eBay? I talked to my parents about it, but they were uneasy and they were afraid that when it came there might be something wrong with it or it would die a month later. What safeguards other than the $600 Paypal thing are there? How long does that last? Also, how good would a 1.0Ghz iBook w/ 512 RAM be for gaming? Would it work with Homeworld 2? What recommended games would work well on it?

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I personally don't trust buying computers over eBay, there are too many scams. I would search elsewhere for a used Mac if that is what you are after. As far as gaming goes, this computer will play some of the modern games at low settings, but it is not a powerhouse. More and more games are requiring at minimum a 1Ghz computer and then you put the mediocre graphics card on top of that, and I don't know how happy you'll be. You might be better off trying to find a used powerbook. However, other than for gaming, the iBook is a wonderful machine and I highly recommend it. But for gaming, it will work for some things, but it is not a powerhouse by any means. Hope this helps :)

3. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Depends on the seller's feedback. If it is over 100 - I would trust him/her to sell a quality computer. Check the description thoroughly too.

Powermacs and 23" displays are the big Mac fraud items, it is less likely with an iBook.

4. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

I wouldn't be too concerned about buying an iBook off eBay, just do your homework first.

1. Make sure the seller has a good feedback ratting, preferably a high feedback.
    2. Make sure they include photos of the actual item.
    3. Ask them if it has any faults or had any repairs done to it.
    4. Make sure they have the original receipt and will include it.

If you're buying an iBook G3 you might encounter the infamous video problem at some point, which is covered for 3 years form the original purchase date.

Remember if the deal sounds too good to be true it probably is.

I've bought two Macs on eBay, no regrets.

5. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

eBay advice

some simple guidelines:

1. don't buy from anyone who specifies "western union only." that's a red-flag for a scammer.

2. check the seller's feedback to see what items they buy and sell. this is where Safari's tabbed browsing rocks (command-click). if they're buying and selling hummels and barbies maybe you'd like to think twice.

3. don't fall for fake escrow sites.

4. don't buy from a seller who's leaving illegal copies of software on the computer. if they have no qualms about trying to profit from stolen work, they may be more likely to treat you in a shady manner too.

in the past 7 months, I've sold 7 Macs on eBay, and bought two. so far, so good.

6. mattthemutt thread starter macrumors regular

mattthemutt

What about all of the warranties and such? Will I have to buy an AppleCare warranty from Apple if I want the iBook to be protected?

7. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

If you plan to own the computer beyond one year after its initial purchase date, buying Apple Care is a very good idea. Since you're looking at used iBooks, you want to make sure that what you're buying is less than one year old just so you still have that option open to you. After the one-year anniversary of the initial purchase you can no longer extend the Apple Care warranty / add telelphone support.

At the moment, you can be sure that all iBook G4s are less than one year old because they were released last Fall.

For everything else, you'd have to call Apple Care (1-800-APL-CARE) and ask them the warranty expiration date or the initial purchase date. Just give them the serial number of the machine in question.