eBay iPhone unlocks coming to an end?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Applejuiced, Jan 19, 2013.

1. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

I dont know if you guys heard anything but a well known iphone unlock seller U.F. on ebay told me that pretty soon ebay will be banning unlocking sales on their site.
    Wonder if they got pressured from either Apple or AT&T to stop offering these types of auctions on their site? Ebay gets a cut from thousands of such auctions so Im sure they might not be too excited to stop them.

2. macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I don't know, but what i would like to know is what the hell happened to Unlock Fusion?? They not doing iphone unlocks anymore? I knew i should have done mine ages ago.

3. macrumors 68020

Yes, looks like they're cracking down on them. All the reputable sellers are getting their listings removed, one by one.

4. macrumors 68030

Well tbh they're kind of committing fraud.

The only way to unlock a phone is via a carrier - so these people must work for a carrier, or know people who do, and slip the iMEIs into the system.

5. macrumors member

This reminds me of when they stopped "selling" mixtapes online. Instead you would buy a sticker for like $5 and when you received your package it had a CD in it.

Soon there will be listings for "iPhone (some word to replace unlock)" where you are buying a wallpaper or something and get the unlock for free.

6. macrumors 68040

I've always been afraid to use this service for fear that AT&T might crack down and blacklist my phone. Though, I've not read about someone having trouble.

7. thread starter macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Yes, that's who told me about it. Unlock Fusion.
    I guess they already started removing all unlock auctions.
    If you are a regural customer of his that did multiple unlocks he will send you an email with his website to purchase the unlocks from there instead.

8. macrumors 6502

I suspect that it has to do more with eBay refusing to list non-physical items and services.

There was a whole section of alternative eBay crap that got wiped out recently when they started to refuse to sell remote tarot readings and custom spell castings on the site.

Yes, somebody would actually pay a stranger somewhere to "cast a spell" for them via eBay.

Now if you really think about it, paying somebody to magically "unlock your phone" for you remotely isn't that far off.

eBay is trying to get away from dealing with sales of nonphysical items because there is no paper trail for disputes, and now that they're in the PayPal business, dealing with disputes is a big deal for them money wise. There's no proof, no tracking number, etc.

9. macrumors 6502

Is Unlock Fusion going to continue selling through his website?

10. thread starter macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

True.
    This is more like a service than a good.
    I heard about some other crazy items they had on auction like people selling spells, ghosts etc...

11. macrumors 6502

Damn....I should have sold my ghosts when the selling was good. They are really piling up in the closet.

12. Applejuiced, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2013

thread starter macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Lmao:) you should have a yard sale:D

13. macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

Man this sucks. I am getting an iPhone 5 on the 1st of Feb. I was planning on purchasing this as well day one. Should have bought it a couple weeks back then did the IMEI after I got my phone.

DANG!

14. macrumors 68040

There are still other places to get these unlocks. Some of the sellers have websites and around here in my city there are lots of people who do them locally for about the same $10 price.

15. macrumors newbie

Unlock fusion has its own web site,still offering iPhone unlock 9.95 google it its there.

16. thread starter macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

That's not his site.
    That's a fake.
    He still sells them for $2 each on his website swift unlocks.

17. macrumors member

When I last went to that site (after getting the URL from a different thread here), I was prompted for a username and password. I've only bought one unlock from him, and the email/zip that were (I think) used for that eBay transaction didn't work in the username/password fields.

I'm still hoping to buy two more unlocks in the next couple of weeks. It didn't occur to me to buy all three at the same time (late December) and hold onto two of them.

Mike

18. macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You would need to create an account on his website to purchase an unlock, $1.99

19. thread starter macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Yes. What my Greek buddy said above.
    His company is called swift unlocks.
    Your eBay user Id and password won't work.
    You just gotta register with your email address and then you can go ahead and purchase unlocks from unlock fusion.

20. macrumors 6502a

pdxmatts

21. thread starter macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

22. macrumors member

Hmm, maybe I missed the "create account link", I'll check again when I get home. Thanks.

23. macrumors demi-god

I've got a few skeletons in my closet that I'd love to sell... :D

24. macrumors 6502a

Seems there is some new US law that makes it illegal to unlock your phone without the carriers' authorization, which goes into effect on 1/26/2013.. Thats probably got something to do with all these sellers withdrawing their unlock lisitngs.

Figures, only in the US, corporations are protected and bailed out while common folk get the shaft.

25. macrumors regular

jackwills