Ebay Issue!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kammron, Feb 26, 2006.

1. kammron macrumors 6502

kammron

if a seller does not respond for 3 days following a sale,
    and i dont want the product any longer.(in this case an ibook g3)
    should....or do i have to pay him his ebay fees back?
    Forty some dollars to be exact!
    :confused: :rolleyes: (nahah)

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. kammron thread starter macrumors 6502

kammron

i thought there was a 72 hour period in which he can respond

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

isn't 72 hours 3 days?

5. kammron thread starter macrumors 6502

kammron

6. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

You bid and won (presumably on good faith) and you should follow through with the sale. Perhaps the seller was away for a few days.

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Did you already submit payment to him?

If not, wait until you hear from the seller... there's no sense in paying for something until you know the seller is about to ship the item to you. I'd send him a message via eBay to the effect that you'll pay for the item as soon as he indicates he's ready to ship it... and for crying out loud, only use PayPal to pay him, so that you can get a refund of your money in the event that he fails to deliver the item as promised.

8. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

The seller can file to get the money back if both of you agree not to complete the sale, you wouldn’t have to pay him back but he can give you a negative feedback and a buyers strike.

9. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

eBay suggest that you request the contact details of your buyer/seller if you've been unable to make contact after three business days. As far as I know, there's no provision for you to default on the purchase just because the seller hasn't contacted you within the suggested timeframe.

Under normal circumstances, a non-responsive seller is as frustrating as a non-responsive buyer; however, it doesn't appear that you've attempted to make contact with your seller. Although it's generally considered good practice for the seller to initiate contact with the buyer, it's incumbent upon both of you to make contact. As such, you're equally culpable in this instance.

There's no requirement for you to pay the seller's fees when you renege on a bid. After a specified period of time has elapsed, the seller can apply to eBay for a refund of their final value fees. This is a frustrating process for the seller however, and results in a strike against the buyer's account, which can ultimately lead to suspension. For this reason, and to avoid negative feedback, non-paying bidders will sometimes offer to pay the seller's fees.

In this case, I think the right thing would be for you to contact the seller, explain that you no longer require the item, apologise, and offer to pay his or her fees. Going forward, you might want to read the eBay User Agreement, which clearly prohibits persons under the age of 18 from using the site.

10. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

If you don't want it anymore contact him to discuss - if he relists and it sells then the listing fees for the second listing are removed, so he's no better off.

Sometimes there's a good reason for someone not being in touch, and I generally leave it up to 1 week from the auction before I go chasing people up, but that usually only applies to buyers. In your case its a bit different as your a buyer who hasn't paid yet - I take it you've had no contact with him despite you contacting him? Or are you expecting something else other than the automatically generated invoice?

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You are legally binded by your bid and you must pay. Can he charge you his fees and not make you pay? That is up to him and you and how badly you want to avoid getting negative feedback for your stupid mistake. As a seller on ebay, I just lack tolerance for people who buy, wait three days, and decide they don't want to buy anymore.
    It's a waste of my time and my money. I think you should do the right thing and pay.

12. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I'm "time up" on the person who bought my Sony T7 off me.... a week ago. No contact/payment after the initial invoices, and nothing from the email I sent 3 days in....

The non-paying bidders form gets submitted at 8pm tonight!

If you don't contact the seller you'll ended up suffering the same fate...

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, but the way I understand the eBay contract, the seller has failed to meet obligations. Of course people have reasons why they cannot be in touch. But being in touch is a cost of doing business as the seller. Doesn't eBay quite clearly state that its expectation, on behalf of buyers, is that sellers only sell at times when they are available?

I'm not voicing an opinion on using the seller's failure to meet contractual obligations as an excuse to get out of yours. But rules are rules, and the seller should be the one who forfeits the cost if they fail to meet them.

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You have contracted to buy the item. There is no 3 day escape clause.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/buyer-rules-overview.html
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/seller-rules-overview.html

If the seller does not respond for x number of hours, your option is to go to eBay with a report of Seller non-performance. In my experience, eBay considers 30 days to be a good point to start talking about non-performance, not 72 hours.

However, the seller has responded and is willing to ship the goods. If you are backing out after 3 days, you are violating your contract as a buyer, and the seller would have ample grounds to report you.

In the case of a buyer not paying in a timely fashion, that is usually covered in the item description, where the seller says "Payment must be received within 7 days" If a term like that is specified in the auction, it becomes part of the contract that the buyer has agreed to.

(and that three days would include a portion of a weekend, I'll bet -- if you are buying from a business and win the bid on a Friday, it is entirely reasonable that they will not get your emails until Monday.)

15. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

I'm a powerseller on ebay, and here's an issue that frustrates me.. and the customers:

Most customers almost always never check their 'junk' folder. 90% of my replies land up in their junk folder.. and they never 'read it'. After 24-48 hrs, they will email me again and i will reply back.. but they wont check their junk mail folder.. this goes on and on and on.

However, as soon as someone has paid, I ship out the product the same day or the next day itself, so by the time they think of panicking..they've already received their product.

Also, it depends on what kind of questions you are asking the seller. Every once in a while i get a buyer who will ask a question that reflects his hesitation to pay, or the 'oops, i bid in excitement but i don't want to pay now' Ask all the questions you want.. *before* bidding or purchasing the item. Of course, you can ask questions after you purchase the item but not stuff like "I will only pay if you offer me next day shipping" even though my auction clearly stated free Ground shipping.

Things like that used to happen to me all the time, and now I only have 'buy it now' listings with immediate payment required.

So, ask the seller again.. and ask him via ebay's messaging system.. not from your personal email account. Maybe your emails are reaching him, and his emails are not coming to you.. its also the weekend .. so maybe he doesn't work (fri even, sat and sun)

So msg him via ebay, wait for a day and then decide.

If a buyer contacts me, I reply to him rightaway (as long as i'm in front of the computer) Thats why I have 590 positive feedback and only one negative (left by a non paying bidder in retaliation for the feedback i left him)

16. kammron thread starter macrumors 6502

kammron

im messaged him quite a few times now and it seems he doesnt want the payment for his fees anymore.
    he responded to the first saying its a mutual agreement...
    but he hasnt responded to any others.