Ebay = No more PS3's

Discussion in 'Games' started by DEXTERITY, Oct 14, 2006.

1. DEXTERITY macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if you guys noticed, but something funny is going on with the ps3 and ebay. I'm sure Sony can't make ebay shut down the bids. And it is legal to pre -sale if you state it properly... here is the long story"

I was able to get two ps3 reserves (and I know some don't like this, but please ..reality check). I put one on Ebay so the other one would pay for itself.

The first one got deleted right when it was at $1200 and I received an email stating I had to mention that any pre sale item has to state it will ship within 30 days of the auction ending. So I reposted it, did as I was told and two days later my account was suspended without being told why.

Any item I was selling (non ps3 related) were all cancelled and everyone who ever bid or bought something was sent an email basically implying I was suspended for fraud. nice way to ruin someones reputation and kind of a real harsh move especially considering they didn't even tell me what went wrong.. Which is total BS. That led to a frenzy of people freezing the money they paid on paypal for items in transit, already shipped , etc, etc, talk about having to do some serious damage control and pr work. Spent hours fixing that nightmare.

So I'm sitting there with perfect feedback, etc and no answers from ebay.

Last night I figured I would see how much ps3's are selling for. Almost everyone is gone or the links are invalid.

I've been trying to get to the situation resolved but ebay has replied to neither one of my inquires or appeals and they dont have a phone number..

Just wondered if anyone had a clue as to what was going on. it is kind of weird. I was thinking what did I do wrong that got me kicked off and that is the only thing I can think of (based on the other auctions being no longer active)...

kind of sucks lol.. worst case if no one else was able to sell any either.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

congrats to sony. I'm glad Sony & Ebay are taking this action, at least they are being pro-active for a change.

3. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

congrats for what? It isn't illegal to resell something.

You're just one of those people that doesn't like others making money. If someone has the money to spend on it and rather not stand on line as others have, what is wrong with that?

The people who sell don't drive the price up, the people who bid on it do. And obviously the people who bid on it are aware of the money they are inputting for their bid.

there is nothing to congratulate. In the time being, perfectly legit people who sell other things have their accounts suspended for a particular amount of time.. I guess I should say I hope you lose a good source of your income as well. What a ****** thing to say congrats for.

And I don't think Sony can force Ebay to do anything. It is something having to do with following the exact policy for a pre-sale item. I can assure you come Nov. 17th they will all be back on Ebay and they won't be able to legally do anything about it since it is all LEGAL!

4. Motley macrumors 6502

The reason it was canceled is that you can't guarantee that you can ship the item per Ebay's rules (read your pre-order slip, it's not a guarantee that you'll get one on the first day).

Don't worry, once you have PS3 in hands there shouldn't be anything they can do to stop you (if they cancel those auctions, then they're scum).

5. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I've been annoyed at people buying extra and putting them on eBay before as well, but this still hardly seems right.

The only way I could see Sony being able to pull this off legally is if they told eBay pre-orders were not garaunteed, and that it's possible less PS3s will actually make it to the retailers... then eBay could say you are selling something you don't have.

6. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I really don't have a problem with people buying extra and putting them on eBay. The PS3 is so expensive maybe that's the only way someone can really afford to own one.
    What I have a problem with is someone selling a PS3 before they actually own one. Who knows if you will actually get the 2 you were promised via pre-order.

7. ViveLeLivre macrumors regular

ViveLeLivre

Good for eBay. My local Gamestop had a grand total of 4 pre-orders for the PS3. The thought of somebody snatching them up just to gouge somebody for $1200 makes me ill.

8. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Well done eBay, thats what I've got to say. I think it is a disgrace the amount of things like this that make it onto eBay. For every unit you have pre-ordered and intended to sell, you have prevented someone else from getting one at a reasonable price.

I can't stand people that do this just to 'make money'. Get a job like the rest of us (and if you already have one, there is no excuse toher than greed).

Disgusting.

9. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

When you pre-order more than one and use the second to sell on e-bay, that's basically taking away someone else's unit that they had to pre-order, lay down a deposit, and wait like everyone else. It's just not fair to hoard the extra units simply because you come before everyone else in line.

It's no different to the real estate boom down here in parts of Florida: speculators would swarm into a new development and buy up most of the new homes, only to later turn around and "flip" the property at a higher price to those who really need a home.

Yeah, it's legal, but is it right?

10. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

My sentiments exactly!

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I can see it from both sides. For an unreasonable amount of money you are guaranteed a PS3, super fans will pay that. It's their loss for being so fan-ish. But I cannot imagine little girls crying over Christmas because they didn't get one.

Know what the perfect answer is everyone? Sony to get off their arses and actually PRODUCE a realistic amount of consoles before a launch instead of playing this game
    [​IMG]

Do a Nintendo and get millions of consoles out. Oh noes if it means delays, yeys if it means I can walk into a shop and buy one on the launch day.

12. ima_pseudonym macrumors member

Made my day

Thanks Dexterity, you made my day! Ebay gouger gets shut down and comes to forum whining about it. Nice. To put it in terms you might understand: with the opportunity to profit there is usually some risk. The less ethical the profit, the greater the risk.

13. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

But what risk? All he has to do is pony up the dough to buy it on day one and then turn around and sell it straight away.

His complaint seems to be that he actually has to invest some money and face a slight delay on his return. He'll still make a profit.

14. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

You know, I used to be "one of you" that was upset at the idea someone would "ruin" my chances of getting the new system, but honestly that is bullcrap.

The people that get extra get them because YOU (or ME) didn't get out there and pre-order one before they did, we could have if we really really tried (after all, they did), but we didn't - even if we KNEW the product was going to sell out.

What is even more ridiculous to me is that all you whiners are actually upset about is that you can't get WHAT you want WHEN you want it. The world is going to be DROWNED in PS3s eventually, probably some time next year.

You don't NEED one NOW, and if someone gets extra and sells them on eBay or by any other means, you are still going to be able to get the system later. Besides, if you don't already have your pre-ordered then guess what, you weren't going to get one anyway - so stop crying about it.

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Greed, its destroying this country because it seems our govt is pushing all forms of it, Selling something that you dont even have is pretty discusting. Good for Ebay.

16. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Why does everyone get so fired up on people selling the PS3's and Xbox 360's on ebay for a profit? If you want one, stand in line and wait your turn. It is not like the people who have them are STEALING them. So, if they get it fair and square, then it is their right to do what they want with it. If you do not like the price that they are selling it at, DON'T buy it?!?!

And for the record, I DO have a full time job. I DID stand in line and buy a PS3. And, I am going to sell it on ebay and use the profit to buy some Christmas gifts and if the sell goes really well, put the rest towards a macbook.

Everyone who has a job, earns an income because their company makes a profit off of somebody else. This is like people complaining that a retailer marks up the price from the supplier. If it is too high, do not buy it. If you want one sooooo bad, get off your @$$, stand in line, and get one.

To the poster, sorry to hear you got hammered by ebay. But, it may be a good thing, what if your pre order does not come in?!!! I am waiting until mine comes in to be safe.

17. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

There was most likely a guy (or girl) standing at the end of the line to pre-order that didn't get one because of Dexterity. Legal or illegal, that person made the effort but was denied one, and that's not moral.

've actually considered doing something of this nature before (on a grander scale though), but it just wouldn't feel right to me, so I didn't.

It's no different from ticket touting, and I remember that once U2 kept 5,000 tickets in reserve for a concert in Dublin and flooded the market on the day of the concert, killing off the touts market. IIRC almost the entire country cheered. That's the esteem touts and people of that ilk are held in, and mostpeople would not be unhappy if the same happened to these "traders" on the PS3.

(And I have no interest in the PS3, btw - purely talking principle here)

18. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

actually there was no one extra person standing in line. all who showed up got one because the store I was at is getting 16. And if the store gets shorted one I already stated I would give my other one to whomever gets shorted. Three of us got there at 745 am. If you know only 400,000 are going to be available and you want one, then it's obvious you can't show up at 955am to try and get one.

And I have a job. And I have a way of making money off Ebay (not just with ps3's).. I'm doing the same thing as a previous poster stated.. using the extra money towards something else.

People kill me that get upset at that. It was also stated in most peoples description that you get your money back if the unit isn't secured. But the word pre-order may be the death of those ps3 posts. I will get my account back, just kind of got hammered for no reason and have to work on ebays schedule of when they choose to respond.

And I'm not whining, I actually thought it was an interesting topic for discussion. Only thing I'm pissed at is the way it was handled by ebay and the severity of their actions. They cancelled anything non ps3 related that already had bids, contacted people who already purchased items, bid on items, etc. Thats a little overboard and paints one as a crook. Which I am far from. That led to people who had items in transit putting a hold on their paypal payments and an avalanche of unrelated bs I had to deal with. That is my compaint. Thats a legitimate complaint. If I have to wait until Nov. 17th so be it.

At first I was racking my brain as to what I may have did wrong without knowing it. Only last night did I start checking out the ps3 posts and notice what was going on. I don't remember that happening with the 360.

I'm business minded and have a Masters degree from NYU, so I'm not some idiot. If I see a way I can make money legitimately and double my money, why would I pass on it? I invested two hours out of my day. And as someone else stated, I didn't force anyone to bid on it. I don't start my bids out at $1500 like some idiots. I started out the price $150 less then my final price (thats less the price of game and tax). IF someone bids it up $600 more then obviously they can afford that extra expense. And obviously they didn't want to stand on line to get one during a pre order opportunity or they don't plan on doing it they day they come out.

Dont hate me, hate sony, their the ones who had over a year to manufacture more then 400,000 units. Nintendo has plenty of theirs..

Ask yourself this , how much did you pay for your sneakers? Do you realize most sneakers cost no more then $15 to manufacture? So are you mad you got raped or was it your choice to buy those sneakers for quadruple the price.. Same thing. You have a choice. what one does with their money is their business. It isn't like the ps3 costs $200. It is $600 and over $750 with tax and a game (I was offering a game as well). That isn't in the averages person budget. So the AVERAGE person with AVERAGE income isn't buying one.. Hardly robbing from the poooor.

edit: The only rules in regards to pre sale is that you state it will ship within 30 days of the auction ending. EBay cant say that one will not get one just because it is pre-ordered. They allow items to be pre-saled as long as it is stated it will ship within 30 days of the auction. At this point any 7 or 10 auction would ship within 30 days of it ending.. so the mystery continues..

19. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Agreed.

And to j26: There is quite a difference between a concert, which has limited seating and will never happen again (at least not the exact same concert in the exact same location), and a piece of hardware that will get mass produced in the millions and allow everyone to own the exact same unit in the coming months and years.

Think about it, anyone who "missed out" getting a PS3 didn't actually miss out at all, just delayed. Everyone who wants one (and can afford it) will be able to get one in time. The kids the wants things "right now" and screem if they don't get it are the brats who need disciplined, I don't see it being any different in this situation, a little patience and everyone will get a PS3 - so what if it takes a few extra months?

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Way I see it - a solo person selling something you don't have yet isn't good. A business is acceptable (or so we're brought up). Selling something that someone else might not be getting isn't good. Having a PS3 then selling it on eBay is good, makes good financial sense.

21. Fezwick macrumors 6502

It really doesn't matter if it's moral or not. Morality is relative to the person. What he's doing is not illegal. He invested time and energy getting the extra PS3 so he should be allowed to do what he pleases with it.

I agree he should have waited until he had the PS3 in his hands, though. Pre-orders don't necessarily mean you'll receive the product.

22. DEXTERITY thread starter macrumors 6502a

thank you.

the only reason I posted it is because I'm confident I'm getting one because the manager is a friend. plus I was first in line. so a lot of things would have to go wrong and I stated I would give the money back if all went wrong.. and that isn't my complaint its the way ebay went crazy in handling the situation.

23. Xenesis macrumors regular

Xenesis

That being said, you're still selling something you don't own yet.

That does border the fine line of fraud. On the other hand, if you already had said PS3 in your hands, then there's nothing wrong morally, or legally, really from letting you sell it.

24. ViveLeLivre macrumors regular

ViveLeLivre

It's not illegal to drive 55 miles per hour in the fast lane either, but only jackasses do it. Consideration does mean something in the real world.

You guys can rationalize it any way you want, toss economic theory and moral relativity around like a football, perhaps you'll win some converts, but you'll never convince me (and quite a few others, I'm sure) that it isn't wrong.

25. ripfrankwhite macrumors regular

ripfrankwhite

It is without a doubt wrong to do this. And it doesn't have to be illegal for ebay to remove these auctions. If they don't like it, they can remove it. Period. They have policies that they follow. These units would not have sold out if greedy people didn't buy so many. But people are supposed to be greedy. It's hard to get ahead if you're not.

But, there are many worse things that people could do, and if this is the worst, then they're doing ok.