Ebay procedure.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Linam, Jan 2, 2006.

  1. Linam macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    #1
    I just got this message from a buyer:
    I would like to retract my bid, as I didn't realise that there was a $30 postage cost for this. Please cancel my bid.
    Thanks in advance,

    However the most expensive postage is $30 the cheapest is $14. Do I have to cancel the bid? Or what should I do. I replied saying that it is that the cheapest is $14.

    Thanks
     
  2. clayj macrumors 604

    clayj

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2005
    Location:
    visiting from downstream
    #2
    Wait for them to respond, is what I would do. Beyond that, doesn't eBay have guidelines for how to deal with canceled/retracted bids?
     
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

    CanadaRAM

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2004
    Location:
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    #3
    If the buyer sent this to you before the end of the auction, you pretty much have to retract it. If the auction is already closed, and presuming your shipping policies and costs were clearly laid out on the auction itself, you can explain the shipping and attempt to hold them to it, or send in a non-paying bidder complaint to eBay.



    (One caveat... if you are selling an item worth a low value, and are charging appreciably more than the true shipping cost, in order to jack up the profit on the auction, then you have no sympathy from me...)
     
  4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

    grapes911

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2003
    Location:
    Citizens Bank Park
    #4
    I don't think that this is enough reason to warrant a cancellation. Personally I would cancel it anyway though, because if this person wins there is a good chance you won't get paid anyway.
     
  5. Deepdale macrumors 68000

    Deepdale

    Joined:
    May 4, 2005
    Location:
    New York
    #5
    Good point ... this one has the key ingredient to becoming an ebay screw you deal.
     
  6. Linam thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    #6
    Thanks I am still waiting for him to respond.
     
  7. Linam thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    #7
    The guy is now pestering me to cancel the bid saying he wants to give a more realistic bid (he is $0.5 over the second bid). What should i do now??
     
  8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

    CanadaRAM

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2004
    Location:
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    #8
    Report him and offer a second chance offer to the next lower bidder.
     
  9. hubristol macrumors regular

    hubristol

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2005
    #9
    As long as the auction isn't over I would just save yourself the headache and cancel the bid like he requested. Like another poster mentioned, if you don't he may possibly end up just not paying you if he wins. If he is only $0.50 over the next highest bidder then you're not losing that much as you may if you have to relist it.
     
  10. Linam thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
  11. DerekW69 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2005
    #11
    I agree with CanadaRAM. If you hold him to it, he's not going to pay you anyway. May as well go with the next bidder since the bids are close. Definitely report him — especially if your auction terms were clear.
     
  12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

    CanadaRAM

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2004
    Location:
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    #12
    OK, you said Buyer which kinda implied that it was over.

    Nuke the ^&*er and report him anyway. Don't allow him to rebid.
     
  13. Linam thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    #13
    I know what you mean but its annoying especially the tone he is taking. He is being very pushy.
     
  14. DerekW69 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2005
  15. Linam thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    #15
    I am going to wait till just before bidding ends then cancel report him.
     
  16. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

    CanadaRAM

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2004
    Location:
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    #16
    Don't do that. 'Cause the second bidder has no obligation to accept your second-chance offer and he can back out legitimately. If you cancel &^%$wit now, the second bidder becomes your buyer.
     
  17. DerekW69 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2005
    #17
    If he's being pushy, he will not pay. I might cut someone some slack if they had really good feedback and took a humble tone. Mistakes happen. But it's your auction and he needs to play by your rules.
     
  18. DerekW69 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2005
    #18
    Again I second CanadaRAM. If you time it wrong, you could lose both buyers if #2 moves on to another item. Best just to do it now and get him out of your hair.
     
  19. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

    grapes911

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2003
    Location:
    Citizens Bank Park
    #19
    Actually, he has to play by eBay's rules. They do give people instances when they can back out. I just don't know if this qualifies.
     
  20. Linam thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
  21. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

    CanadaRAM

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2004
    Location:
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
  22. clayj macrumors 604

    clayj

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2005
    Location:
    visiting from downstream
    #22
  23. Linam thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
  24. hubristol macrumors regular

    hubristol

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2005
    #24
    I'm sorry, but unless he's bidding significantly higher than the other bidders, and you're willing to go through the hassle of trying to get the money from him if he wins, just cancel the bid. The whole situation seems to be intensifying over the bidders mistake in bidding. I would just cut the guy some slack and cancel the bid especially since the auction isn't even over.
     
  25. DerekW69 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2005
    #25

    I was referring to his auction/shipping terms, which the bidder apparently didn't read.

    Changing one's mind or having buyer's remorse does not qualify, but in this case it's easier to let him cancel and move on.
     

Share This Page