eBay Safety Tips

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Wes, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

You can't make sure you won't get scammed. However you can take preventative measures.

Do not accept money via Western Union. (Nevermind this one)
    Make sure any checks you receive have cleared before you send the item.
    Do not deal with people trying to circumvent eBay (people e-maling you that they'll send you money without going through eBay).
    Only ship to a verified PayPal address.
    Keep your reciepts for everything until you feel comfortable.

And most of all... Use common sense.

3. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

Haha, thanks for the info, and nice edit ;).

I've just heard bad stories about people sending the item and then Paypal taking away the payment and things like that.

EDIT: Stupid typo.

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I'd have a quick read of this thread. Looks like you've got to be careful of paypal.

5. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

How can I stop the person using a chargeback? There must be a way or that's rediculous.

6. Badradio macrumors 6502

I think the issue there was that smharmon sent the G5 to a non-verified address at the customer's request. He just tried to do the guy a favour. If he'd sent it to the verified address, PayPal would have been liable for the cash, not him.

7. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

Just saw your auction: very nicely taken photos ; well presented. It looks like your auction will go well :)

8. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

Thanks, it's going well so far, I'm must really anxious about getting scammed because if I do, 1/2 my money to get a new iPod is gone.

9. PigDog macrumors member

Confirmed shipping address only

Only ship to the Confirmed shipping address (credit card billing address) which will be only surplied by PayPal DO NOT ship to a verified address. This is PayPal USA the UK might have different rules, follow the PayPal rules or be ready to lose. The best of luck in your auction.

10. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

:) I only edited it because although I didn't mean what I had posted as an insult in anyway it could seem as though I might have... and I didn't feel like explaining which I'm doing now but now it can just be our little joke... :D

11. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

silentpanda -

you got this one a bit wrong - there's absolutely nothing wrong with accepting money via western union. it's cash delivery, afterall. if the buyer insists on using western union to pay you, then you should just go ahead. the buyer is basically trusting you that you won't run away with cash delivered.

the problem is sending money to buy something via western union. there's no protection at all.

12. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Ahhhh yes... agreed. My mistake. Dang! First mistake of the year too! :D

13. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

Okay guys, the auction is over, £122 at the higher range of what I wanted. The buyer has good feedback and wants to use Paypal. She says she'll send the direct-cash through paypal and says it will have no clearing time. Is this true? If so we could get this all rapped up tomorrow!

14. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

That's pretty much true. CVErtainly there will be no clearing time for it to go into your PayPal account, but transferring it over to your bank account may take around 3 days. I would send her the item though, as once it has gone to your PayPal account, it is plain sailing.

15. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

Thank you for the info!

PayPal has decided I need to be a verified user to do this (accept a such a large lump sum) so I'm having to go through the process of adding credit cards, setting up direct debit and etc., thankfully the buyer is being very understanding.

The day after this sale goes through I'm cancelling the account.

16. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

As long as you keep the buyer informed of what is going on, they should be understanding and still leave good feedback . Sounds like what happened in one of my first sales :)

17. kjgnola macrumors regular

C.O.D. don't do it!

No one has mentioned this method of payment, maybe I was just an idiot, but I wanted to throw it out there anyway in case some of my brothers are reading.

I agreed to complete a transaction via C.O.D. and was scammed. UPS collected the check and sent it back to me no problem. The problem came when the check turned out to be fake.

So no matter how you agree to complete the sale, ALWAYS get the money before you ship. Tough lesson I had to learn the hard way hope it doesn't bite anyone else.