eBay sale and iMac serial number...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nodabs, Nov 30, 2006.

1. nodabs macrumors regular

Thought i would put this up to the people here and see what you have to think. I'm selling my iMac on eBay and one of the members has asked for the serial number to verify the date of purchase and the AppleCare for the system. Is there any downside to giving out the serial number for the unit? For some reason i just feel hesitant to do it?

2. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

the applecare is registered to your device, so it doesnt matter what he does with it..

i understand your hesitance, but i think you have just came accross a n ebay member who is carefull:)

3. nodabs thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, he has great feedback (over 300) but i just wanted to see what other people's opinions were. Thanks!

4. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

If you have registered in your name go ahead, some of my classmates have never registered their computers, real pain when they sell them and the new buyer tries to get a repair.

When I bought my PB from an online seller, he sent me the serial before I could request it. No problems on either end and both of us were sure that we were legit.

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

if you're really paranoid you could ask them if you could fill it in, and then black it out and take a screenshot of the page on apple's website