eBay Sale - Does this sound odd to you?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RobHague, Oct 17, 2005.

1. RobHague macrumors 6502

I put my PowerMac G5 on eBay recentley. I have had some interest (few questions) but one was from someone who claims he lives in Italy.

So i replied...

So i heard nothing but then today i got this back.

I have not heard of this eBay Secure Payments Service? Maybe i should look it up but it seems to me that they keep the money, i send the item then he gives his OK for them to send it to me. Whats to stop him telling them not too or telling me there is some fault with it that isnt true and holding the system to ransom for less money... :confused:

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

DON'T DO IT!!!!!

It's probably a scam. And even if its not, do you really want to risk it? Save yourself some trouble and demand payment before you ship anything.

3. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Its a scammer dude.

Dont send any Powermac anywhere.

4. Bear macrumors G3

eBay is a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Contact eBay and let them know what this user is offering. Do not accept payment in any way you aren't comfortable with it. And as for the "Secure Payment Services", it is not an eBay service. It's some third party and might very well be a scam. I suggets you pass off the email to eBay about what the user is trying to do. They may have a highjacked account (to show off a good rating) for all you know.

Also, as proof of it being a scam, look up user "maxie46" on eBay - they're listed as being in the United States. So, you were very correct to question the emails you received.

5. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Very, very dodgy. Don't release that Mac until you're counting the bills in your hands

6. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

I would stay away from that...every time that I post anything related to technology, I always get these emails and a week or so later, I would get an email from eBay telling me that the persons account was shut down.

7. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Scam. Same thing happened to me, luckily I didn't fall for it (though I was tempted). The 'payment' will say its gone through but then bounce and you will have no computer. Be wary of checks too -- make sure they COMPLETELY clear.

8. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Sending anything, international, overnight... is going to cost more than holy jesus can afford.

It is a clear sign that something is wrong.

Then again... I'm sure he's an honest fellow, you have is feedback after all. :rolleyes:

9. California macrumors 68040

California

Yes someone in Europe hijacked my good eBay user name and tried to sell cheap electronics gear and then they also started using my account to send out false after sale offers to the second highest bidder on losing auctions.

Had to revamp all my emails and ebay handles, very laborious. But eBay was right on top of it, before I even knew about, and shut down the 'auctions" i was ostensibly running. Very sneaky scummy Nigerian scammy.

The only problems I have had on eBay came from European countries (where this scammer was apparently located -- not England) and this overnight thing is bs. Dont' be tempted by the idea of easy overnight money. If your machine is worth what you are asking, someone will step up to the plate. Don't let your need overshadow your good common sense.

10. moot macrumors regular

My grandad always used to say that if something smelty fishy then it probably was fishy. Is it worth the risk?

I would stay far away from this deal

11. joystik macrumors member

from my experience it is a scammer..i have sold many pc's on ebay. Have gotten many side emails..from people who claim to be from italy, england, europe,africa..and so on...they usually want you to cut the deal fast and send the computer... just recenently a guy told me that he is sending wstern union and it will arrive in 3-5 days..i lied to the guy and told him i sent the computer already..next thing i know payment never came..he was a scammer...if its not paypal..dont accept it. always verify payment before sending out the product...

12. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Paypal is an ebay company. Makes no sense as to why he'd want to use ebay instead of paypal.

Scam, but you already know that by now...

13. Bear macrumors G3

"eBay Secure Payments" is not owned or operated by eBay. So the scammer wouldn't be using an eBay service.

14. RobHague thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah well I just wanted to make sure I was not being over paranoid. :D

I think the system is worth the money, i don't think its overpriced. Im losing almost £500 for owning it for a month. I think thats a reasonable % off considering the amount of time ive had it, use and the condition.

Someone can buy a new one for £500 more, or buy mine and spend £500 on an iPod or something else exciting. :cool:

15. moot macrumors regular

Is that wise to lie to him. By doing that are you not commiting fraud yourself?

I think it is best to ignore all these types of responses and maybe report them to ebay if they are from ebay account memebers.

16. joystik macrumors member

well i told the guy that i need to receive and verify the payment before i ship out the computer..he agreed on it..then he had a fed ex guy come to my door and ask for the computer...i waited another two days...the payment still did not come yet...so if i did send my computer i woulda been ripped...this has happend so many times....so now i learn..its either paypal or nothing...it was all for my safety...and he had agreed on it... so it was all his fault. lol .. leave me alone! :D

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

escrow.com is the only safe escrow method. Whatever other service these people suggest is a scam, period.

18. hookahco macrumors regular

see if he will send you a cashiers check. it would be cheaper than paying ebay fees and paypal fees..

19. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

I'd send an empty box. Thats just me though.
    Scam, scam, scam. Don't know how these people sleep at night.

20. csimon2 macrumors member

You do put some pet rocks in that box before you ship it out though, don't you? Just an empty box is rather suspicious. :)

Basic rule of thumb for ebay... if you have to go on a forum and ask whether or not something sounds like a scam or not, then there is your answer. Funny that the old adage "if it sounds to good to be true, then it probably is" is lost on this ebay frauding generation.

21. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

No, no, and no. These can also be easily forged. I wish I had the link for these but cashiers checks aren't like they used to be. They can as easily be forged as anything else. Take it from me, who got scammed $2000 on one.

22. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

It's sounds also like something straight from 419eater.com. Check that out, which might interest you.

23. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

As others said, it sounds like a scam. I'd stay away unless you'd like to have a little fun, a la the P-P-P-Powerbook. :D

24. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

25. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

k

anyone selling on ebay make sure paypal funds clear in ur account before u send jack !!!