ebay scam, i assume?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mr. DG, Nov 20, 2006.

1. savar macrumors 68000

savar

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

pre approved bidder list = scam

in this case at least, theres NO need for that.

3. Sobering macrumors regular

he accepts paypal as payment. id say go for it, if you pay with paypal your covered. but i think it does seem alot fishy.

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

he wont let you bid, hence the pre-approved bidder list.

you have to email the seller, and its at his discretion to put specific eBayers on a list to be able to bid.

he'll just pull some BS in the end.

5. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

"I have to offer this item as PRE-APPROVED BIDDERS ONLY im afraid, as I have been scammed several times selling high value goods before."

That sounds like a scam, the seller is building your confidence by saying he's anti-scam when in reality he is truly a scam artist. Unless you've got extra money in your paypal account and a lot of spare time to deal with it if it is a scam- don't go for it.

PS: He's never sold anything. All his feedback says "great/good buyer"

6. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

"I do not know the value of the computer"

is he kidding? He thinks we'll believe that he's selling a computer online without looking up the price?

SCAM.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I have faith that you will receive that box you bid on, and only the box.

Don't think you will get much inside that empty box, unless he farts in the box before he sends it. ;)

8. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

The fact that he says he does not know the value of the machine and then says that he has been scammed on high-value items is a bit of a contradiction. All the other red flags have been pointed out. Don't buy it.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

He also first says that it is a G5, then he says that it is C2D, and from the box it is definetaly a earlier G5 not C2D

10. Mr. DG thread starter macrumors regular

Mr. DG

Yeah, I don't think I was ever seriously about to buy - but I was a little tempted to make a winning bid and then suss out the person afterwards, see if they'd accept personal collection. I doubt it very much.

Plus I wasnt convinced about the box - I thought core duo iMac boxes looked different to that picture.

And mrkramer, you're right - I hadn't noticed the G5/Intel mix up in the text either.

11. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Have any of you reported it to eBay?

I hate twats like that. I have an eBay account purely for reporting thieving ********.

12. davegoody macrumors 6502

davegoody

I have just contacted the user, offering him Hard Cash and local pickup !

My Ebay contact reads like this:

Hi there, I am willing to pay cash, and collect in person. I am working in Bedford on Thursday so could pick up then, or I could place the winning bid on buy-it-now, pay via PayPal and then pick it up. By the way, you state that it is a G5 and later on you say it is Intel Core Duo - which is it ? Many thanks !

Will be interesting to see if he responds, and if so with what - I will keep you informed ! :)

13. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Western Union anyone?

14. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

unless you're anywhere near luton and can suggest having a look at it, keep away. i think the best bit has to be him saying he's been burned before selling stuff when he's only bought stuff... :confused:

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

16. davegoody macrumors 6502

davegoody

I got a reply !

Hi there,
    Awfully sorry I've sold this iMac outside od eBay(it was very popular). If you're still after one, they're not too expensive on ebay, or the place I got mine, www.freemacbookwhite.co.uk is promising to send the free ones out before the start of December, well in time for christmas. If you decide to go for a free one I would choose to do the loveflim.com offer, as it is very quick and easy and it is completely free, thats what I did and it all worked for me.
    Sorry about this, up to you what you want to do.
    Thank

Yeh right - this is called "saving face" - faced with the prospect of having someone turn up on his front door, he claimed that the item had been sold "outside of ebay" - Oh well !

Moron:confused:

17. mkaake macrumors 65816

No, that's the scam... you have to contact to get on the buyers list, so when you contact, he gives you the web addy of the place he really wants to scam you from.

18. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Yes, and he also mentioned he got the computer as a gift in the item description. But wait...he also got a great deal online?

I hate scammers.

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

has anyone actually reported him to ebay yet ?

20. 8thMan macrumors regular

8thMan

These kinds of things always disturb me. It is hard for me to imagine a human being who would deliberately rip people off like this. It's as if he were the only entity of value and that other people were little more than resources to be milked in any way possible. What kind of a life does this man have? How does he manage to live with himself?

I guess its easy when you have no conscience.

21. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

This is more a cross between social engineering and phishing - the aim is to get people to sign up to the pyramid scheme.

Have a look here for some more information - http://www.uglx.org/scam2

People are not going to be swindled out of £300 but instead potentially stuck in one of these schemes and losing maybe £15 or so.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Reported to eBay, with a link to this thread.

23. JMax1 macrumors 6502

JMax1

It's labeled as a G5 Intel Core Duo. Isn't there something wrong with that? aren't G5's PPC, not iNtel?

24. motorazr macrumors 6502

motorazr

The Frozen Waste...wait. Duluth, Minnesota.
    hmmm....I don't know....he accepts paypal so what would he gain? Paypal insures anything you buy through them on ebay...