eBay Security Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dr. No, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Dr. No macrumors regular

Sep 13, 2003
    On my dad's computer, I went into the eBay.com web site. At the top of the page, it said "Welcome," and then some garbage characters where the user name should have been.

I clicked "services" button to try to see if anyone else had logged in- but it just asked for a user name and password, indicating that no one was logged in.

Any idea what happened? Should I be worried?

The computer runs Windows XP (all updates), Firefox (all updates), and Trend Micro Internet Security (all updates).
  2. California macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    My very good user name on eBay was hacked a month ago, literally overnight on a Friday. Nigerian scammers, listing electronic goods for sale with Western Union payments in Europe. Ebay caught 'em within minutes. Closed down my username and gave me a new password. I was surprised and then pleased that they are so ferocious over at eBay... Had to change my password, that was about it. Didn't even keep the fake "seller listings" on my eBay page for me to stress out over. I did sent an email to one luckless buyer in the UK who I hope did not send these guys any money. End of story.

Just contact eBay if you feel your computer/username has been compromised. I don't know about everyone else, but my eBaying has been nearly 100 percent great.
  3. doucy2 macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2005
    yes i got my account hacked but i relized the idiots didnt have time to change the password so i changed it to a new one
    no problems since then
    ebay is great
  4. Dr. No thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 13, 2003
    I cleared all of the browser cache, and the problem went away.

My history in eBay indicates no transactions in the past 30 days, so I am okay?