eBay selling help.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by suneohair, Dec 5, 2006.

1. suneohair macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2006
    Ok. So I have a nice eBay situation I need help with. Here is a breakdown.

1. Listed a Wii preorder on eBay, Nov 2. Followed eBays rules and the sale ended.

2. Buyer decided to pay closer to the date of me getting it.

3. Buyer gets a message from eBay about the auction being a fraud on the same day I was set to ship. I gave the buyer the tracking number and assured him it was all good. Because it was. That was Nov. 20

4. So today, I get an email about a Paypal claim. Mind you he hadn't said anything to me at all for those two weeks about not getting it. He didn't even give me the chance to go through a normal dispute, so now my paypal account is negative of course.

5. I provide Paypal with the tracking information. Then I check it myself. It still shows as being expected for delivery....

6. I call the buyer to discuss things with him. He says well "it would need a signature right?" It doesn't have to, but in order to be completely protected by Paypal you need one. So even if it did show as being delivered he could claim he didn't get it.

7. I mailed a PS3 2 minutes after the Wii. It was delivered just fine and the buyer left me positive feedback. Odd thing is, that package shows the same status as the Wii which is "Expected for delivery" I know for a fact that it was delivered however. I even emailed the buyer again today to see what day she got it (Nov. 22) and that everything was alright.

8. I called the buyer back to interrogate a little more. Basically I wanted to know why he didn't contact me at all for 2 weeks to tell me he didn't get it. I also brought up the other package. He then says, we you said it required a signature. Um. No I didn't. I mentioned nothing of the sort. Again the fishiness of all of this makes me feel like he did get it. THen realized the tracking info doesnt update and decided to make a claim.

That may sound like an unreasonable accusation and it may not be true. I realize that, but the way he words things and mentions the signatures and how "no one signed for it" makes me believe he did get it. Also, the fact that USPS didn't update the other package and I know for a fact it was delivered makes me believe that as well. He also has a history of doing that one eBay as a buyer and a seller.

So. I am kind of stuck. My paypal is negative. I already called the post office and they are finding out why these arent showing the proper status and hopefully they will be able to figure out if it was really delivered or not.

If paypal decides to claim in his favor, and then USPS deems that it was delivered. That will be a mess. Considering I wouldn't be able to claim insurance. I would have to go back to paypal and state that his claim was a fraud, which I would have proof of obviously if USPS says it was delivered.

Anyone have any recommendations on how to handle this?
  2. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

Mar 12, 2005
    Hermitage, TN USA (near Nashville)
    Uh, you pull out your receipt you got from the post office and/or the delivery confirmation slip showing proof of delivery and you email copies of that to Paypal and to the buyer. You also include all correspondence, both yours and his.
  3. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2006
    The problem is, the post office isn't showing it as delivered. But it shows the same thing for the other package I sent, but I know the person got it because they left me feedback. And I emailed them to double check.

The buyer didn't say anything to me for two weeks. I assumed he got it. Then all of a sudden he files a dispute and escalates it directly to a claim. I didn't even know he didn't get it.

It is a mess really. The thing is, will USPS be able to mark it as delivered after the fact? If they do that, I win the claim. The signature isn't an issue because the buyer would have to prove that he didn't get it. Which is a matter for the post office, not paypal.

I am hoping it was actually delivered and isn't showing like the PS3 I sent. This guy is a real jerk and I really feel he was doing this on purpose.
  4. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

Apr 4, 2005
    Dallas, TX
  5. Acehigh macrumors 6502

Mar 5, 2006
    Not much you can do, anything over $250 or 300 needs to be signed for. If the money was out of your account when he made the claim (balance was zero). You really didnt lose anything, and he wouldnt get anything. Just dont use paypal again, that the only choice. unless you had you SSN in your paypal account you are fine. If you did, it will go on your credit record.

but alot of people probably dont like people who brought PS3 or Wii to just flip, when they were looking to buy one. Lesson learned...dont do it next time or sell on CL.
  6. Acehigh macrumors 6502

Mar 5, 2006
    In order for a transaction to be eligible for protection under the Seller Protection Policy, the transaction must be marked as "SPP eligible" and sellers must:
    Have a qualified Verified Business or Premier Account.
    Ship to the confirmed address on the Transaction Details page
    Retain reasonable proof of postage that can be tracked online
    Require signature receipt on transactions equal to or more in value than $250.00 USD

so if he didnt sign for it you will always lose. since they can leave it on a doorstep , and somebody could steal it. He probably got it and knows this so he did the charge back. Work a deal with him just to get the retail price back.
  7. Neonguy macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2006
    Hmm..so now I know why some people pay ridicolous price for this PS3 order. Because it's a scam if you don't do it right, and PayPal is a joke if there is ever a dispute. You could totally prevent this but you didn't. A lot of the things you can do instead of what you are doing right now.

1.) Should have Signature Confirmation. Anything worth over $200 dollar and expensive hardware I alway use Signature Confirmation. So this way, you are protected and garantee the buyer will get it because the buyer need to sign for it.

2.) Delivery Confirmation, you get this if you put Signature Confrimation. You will be posted when the product is deliver and exactly when.

3.) If the buyer is using PayPal make sure his address is verified and to be ship to Verified address only to be protected from PayPal.

Basicly you just ship it out without the signature confirmation, and FedEx or UPS just throw it on the door step. The buyer can lies and say it never deliver. I hope you get this resolved, but you should follow PayPal rules a litte closer.
  8. phungy macrumors 68020

Dec 5, 2006
    Did you ship it insured? Because USPS told me anything insured over $100 will require a signature.

I was in a similar situation but not as severe. I did not ship with delivery confirmation but I did have proof of shipment via receipt. Paypal said without a tracking number the buyer would automatically win. Same exact actions, buyer didn't even contact me before filing a dispute and the f-ed up thing was that he purchased (BlackBerry battery door - $15) on Saturday, I ship it Monday and he filed a dispute Tuesday. Paypal wasn't helpful at all. They sent me a survey and I gave them all negatives.

That is weird though, you shipped it with delivery confirmation which means that it had a tracking number.

Oh and I ship heavy items via DHL since they automatically have signature confirmation as well as tracking # included.
  9. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Sep 25, 2004
    God, it's so retarded when everyone just blames PayPal when honestly, they have never had experience selling things online, and dealing with merchant accounts.

PayPal is simply a merchant service provider.. they process payments. When someone files a chargeback.. it's not PayPal that wants your money.. its the customer's Mastercard or Visa (or AMEX or whoever) that does this.

Whether you are a brick and mortar store, or an online store dealing with paypal or authorize.net or any other merchant provider.. you must follow these rules when shipping out products -

1. Signature confirmation is a *must*
    2. Ship to the billing address only (for paypal payments, its 'confirmed address')

I have faced several chargebacks from buyers who thought they could get their money back simply because they paid with paypal.. but I always provided tracking info with signature confirmation.. and everytime, I have had the charges reversed.

Another thing with USPS is, that their tracking system sucks. Most of them show as 'delivered' or 'signed by so and so' but some will keep hanging like 'USPS received electronic confirmation of shipping on this date.. etc' but never a delivery or signature confirmation. If it does show, it shows up after a couple of weeks.. which is why I prefer to use FedEx.

Mind you though, that once there was this $2500 package I shipped out via FedEx with signature confirmation.. and the idiot driver delivered it without any signature request. Upon tracking, I got a 'Signature service not requested' notice. Luckily, the guy got the package (left outside the door.. sheesh!) and he never filed any chargeback.
  10. dgoldak macrumors newbie

Dec 8, 2006
    I know it's too late know but I never use USPS for packages. Most of the time it's more expensive, slower and less reliable. Anyway, if you insured the package you might be able to get you money from USPS if he claims he didn't get it. Good luck, let us know what happens.
  11. Acehigh macrumors 6502

Mar 5, 2006
    Well you are wrong. USPS Registered Mai is probably the safest way to send a package. It goes under lock and key the whole trip. Not sure why you feel sorry for this guy trying to rip off somebody on a wii, and they ripped him off.
  12. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Nov 14, 2005
    Danville, VA
    It doesn't matter whether the package is "under lock and key" USPS tracking system might as well be non-existent, which is the main problem with shipping USPS, FedEx, and UPS both have a MUCH more detailed, and acurate tracking system.

And who mentioned anything about the OP "trying to rip someone off"? He listed a Wii pre-order on eBay, it isn't up to him what some random person bids on it. If someone wants to spend $500 (just throwing a price out there) on a Wii then thats their problem, and the OP is not ripping them off, I f they don't want to "be ripped off" then they just shoudn't bid.
  13. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

Feb 22, 2006
    East Coast, US
    Why can't you claim insurance? You did ship insured, right? So, file a claim with USPS and you'll get your money that way. If it was delivered, USPS will find it. If not, USPS is responsible for the lost mail. And, if it is fraud, USPS takes mail fraud very seriously, and they will find out if your buyer is lying.

Of course, if you didn't ship insured, you have no recourse. But no one in their right might mind would ship an item that is worth several hundred dollars without insurance, right?
  14. wako macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    man that really sucks...

I hope your situation will turn for the best...sooon...
  15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    It's funny how things like this can screw up even though it happens electronically. I mean, if they send a message home to USPS, you'd think the system would just update itself automatically. Too bad it doesn't always happen, and it's slow.

Hindsight is wonderful. :)