eBay shipping woes

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, Nov 20, 2006.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    First of all; I'm not greedy, I had fun and wanted to see if I could get a PS3 with all the difficulties. I feel good in accomplishing my goal, and at this point I want to sell it, make some money for my troubles, and be done with it.

I don't care if I don't make $2000 on it. It was worth it, and I accomplished my goal (get a PS3 on launch day), and it was fun (even if it was long, hard, and tedious).

Anyway, I put it up on eBay again and it sold for $810 + $40 shipping, so basically $850 (minus eBay fees, minus shipping).

HOWEVER...the winning bidder has only ONE feedback, off an item bought this month. The second place bidder (at $801) has 335 positive feedbacks. I clearly put "Please have at least 5 Feedbacks to bid" in my item description.

Now, I've never sold anything for this much on eBay. What do I have to do to protect myself from scammers? Be very detailed please, as I'll have to ship out the system tomorrow morning.

(I also have a local buyer willing to pay $750 for it, as that's all he has. After eBay fees and shipping the profit difference isn't that much. Is it safer to tell the guy, "I said don't bid if you have less than five feedback" and cancel the deal? The low feedback has me uneasy)

Any advice is MOST appreciated. Thanks.
  2. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    Yeah, zap the guy with 1 feedback. You stated a minimum requirement of 5 and he doesn't qualify.

Personally, I'd go with the local person myself. Always better to deal with people locally if you can and eliminate shipping from the equation.
  3. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004

Will eBay still charge me a percentage of the sale even if I nix the sale (and how do I go about doing it where he won't leave me negative feedback and spoil the 100% positive feedback on my mom's account)?

Oh, and here it is:
  4. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Apr 9, 2003
    I don't know about ebay's fees, but do NOT sell to the 1 feedback guy on any condition. He didn't meet your requirements, and it's not worth the risk. Personally, I would go with the local guy, but the 2nd place guy doesn't seem that big of a risk, either.
  5. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Thanks guys :) If anyone with eBay experience can tell me how I go about getting out of the sale without getting negative feedback I'd most appreciate it :eek:
  6. suneohair macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2006
    First of all, yes the guy doesn't meet the requirements. Ok. But 1 feedback doesn't mean he is a scammer. That is just ridiculous. Everyone starts somewhere, if everyone cancelled bids from members with less than 0, 1, or 5 whatever, no one would get anywhere. Get over this ridiculous fear that everyone is try to scam you.

A few questions:
    1: Did he pay already?
    2: If he did pay is the address confirmed?

If those two answers = yes, then there is no reason to not sell to him. You are protected through paypal if he has a confirmed address.

If he didn't pay, send him an invoice. This really is simple. You don't ship until he pays you. If he pays with M/O you make sure it clears before sending the item out. Your bank can actually call a number to verify the M/O is valid. Don't take personal checks. If he pays through paypal, make sure you go into your paypal to check. Don't just believe the email you get that says you were paid, make sure the money is in your paypal!

Check to make sure he has a confirmed address, in fact you should have said in your auction confirmed address only. If you didn't let him know that you do require that.

So.. if he paid with paypal and has a confirmed address you should by all means sell to him. There are scammers, but if you arm yourself with ways to make sure you are not getting scammed and implement them and stay fresh with current trends (really isnt hard) then you will be fine.

If you decide to sell local and nix the auction. You will have to do that inside eBay, http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/credits.html That will get you the final value fee back. You may have to eat the listing fees, although you could chat with someone on Live Chat and maybe have them credit them back to you if you explain the situation.

Sorry for the long post. I just think it is ridiculous for people to get so crazy about being scammed. It really isn't hard to protect yourself.
  7. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Confirmed address, invoice has been sent. We'll see if he pays tomorrow.