Ebay Super Shipping Stories!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bobber205, Apr 3, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I thought it might be fun to talk about our shipping stories you've had if you've used ebay any time at all. ;)

Here's mine to start things off.

I am currently have a boxset of anime shipped to me (the shipping was 22 dollars btw) with a tracking service called Endicia or something. It emailed me and told me that my item was scanned on 3/28/06 but not shipped "into the mainstream" ?:confused:
    It wasn't until April 1st until the item was marked as en route.

I've never heard of the Post Office holding a package for 4 days until mailing it.

Weird. I guess I'll have to wait until it arrives to see if they're information is accurate.

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

One time, I found an ebay auction that was extremely over charging for shipping.

Oh wait, that's all ebay auctions.

3. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I love it when you think you found a great deal on a item only to realize that they charge $50 + for shipping and handling. I read that this is illegal since they are trying to cheat ebay from a final value fee. Ebay charges for the item sale only not the shipping fees, i report them if i see it.

Ed

4. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

I surf ebay with a price for a certain item in mind and I add the shipping to get that total price...

I do hate the high shipping... :(

It's surprising how many people will go down, sometimes even half, in their shipping prices if you email them just right.

5. muffinman macrumors 6502

muffinman

does that including the statement "Lower your shipping or take a bullet from my uzi!!"? :D :cool: :p

I also, hate high shipping. don't we all?

6. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You and everyone else can do something about the idiots that circumvent ebays fee structure and extensively mark up shipping by reporting them.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-circumventing.html

"the ‘Some Examples’ section below to ensure they are not engaging in any practices that circumvent eBay fees."

"Unreasonable shipping or handling costs - Listings with low prices but unreasonably high shipping or handling costs."

"To report a listing that circumvents eBay fees through an offer outside of eBay, unreasonably high shipping or handling costs, Multiple Item (Dutch) listing avoidance, or a catalog sales violation, contact us with the item number."

I personally report it when i see it.

Ed

7. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

SD Cards on eBay

I just got a new digital camera a few weeks ago, and have been trying to get good deals on SD memory cards for it. I'm looking in the neighbourhood of 1-2GB.

Just look at some of the ridiculous schemes going on under there...for example, take this auction that ended just a few moments ago.

While the 1GB card was selling for 0.99GBP, the shipping for the postage-stamp sized card from Hong Kong was 18.10GBP, plus another 10.00GBP for mandatory "insurance".

Ed H, I was unaware that such auctions were illegal. Thanks for the tip! I'll be reporting all these sellers now...

8. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

My girlfriend and I were talking the other day and she, in the kindest way possible, says that I am a people-pleaser.

This may explain my attitude on eBay which is almost (but not quite) one of, "You're trying to screw me? Wait, let me do it myself."

I used to frequently undercharge shipping costs, for example, as a gesture of good faith and my little silent protest against those idiots who overcharge. That hit me doubly-hard a few years ago when Canada Post switched to some new "volumetric" calculation of package shipping costs, which was all doublespeak to say that they'd doubled or tripled our shipping costs. Ouch.

There was the one time I sent a video mixer to Texas. The buyer left me positive feedback, saying it looked great, and thank you very much... I thought everything was happy until about two months later, PayPal informed me that he had filed a chargeback claim, saying that the unit had never worked from day one. But, PayPal said, since it has been longer than 30 days since the transaction took place, I was under no obligation to do anything. Damn right! But me being the nice guy that I am, I gave this guy a call. He screamed in my ear for 10 minutes about how it had never worked, and he had shipped it to a repair center out of state, who quoted him hundreds of dollars in repairs, and it still didn't work, and if only he had known what a piece of junk this was and how much he would have to spend to fix it up, he would have bought a brand new one, and on and on ...

I offered him a token $50 refund just to shut him up.

Then there was the time some guy kept claiming to have sent me a money order, and was strangely unavailable by email unless the emails I sent him would make some passing reference to reporting him as a non-payer. Then, suddenly, he would respond within 20 minutes, insisting yet again that he did send the money order, please be patient, it must be on its way, or maybe it got lost in the mail and I should file a claim?

After about 3 weeks and 3 rounds of these emails, I just went ahead and sent the package. It was a DVD movie, so I was only out by about $10 or so. I sent him an email spelling out that I didn't buy his crap about the money order and I think he was being a deadbeat. That I had better things to do than to waste my time with guys like him, and so he could take the damn DVD and get out of my life. Oh, and if I had misjudged and there indeed was a money order on the way, an apology would be due.

Of course, it never came.

But you never know. There was the one time I bid on a used Powerbook and sent a cheque to the address he gave me... 3 times. Each time the envelope came back "Address Unknown - Return to Sender". Each time I asked him to please double-check the address he gave me - and each time he insisted it was correct. HE was startign to give ME attitude about non-payment, and I finally offered him a scan of the marked-up envelope. By this time had found a local buyer for his laptop so we parted ways, amicably, but frustrated.

Then there was the guy who bid on an item I had, and went on vacation for two weeks just as the auction closed. I left email after email, I left phone messages.. I did get one vague call from a coworker at his office saying he would get to me. I finally lost my patience and reported him as a non-paying bidder, left negative feedback, and got on with my life. A month later, the guy leaves me a retaliatory negative (and my ONLY negative feedback on eBay), saying I ruined his first-time eBay experience. Well, duh...

I've developed a bit of a thicker skin over the years, but I still feel that my time and my dignity are too valuable to be drawn out in a fight against some lowlife trying to make a quick buck.

9. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I'm still waiting for a seller to send me the amplifier I bought.... going on about 5 years now. THAT was money down the toilet for sure.

10. lem0n macrumors regular

lem0n

heh, should look at the auctions for the new Nintendo DS Lite... the price is already over price at 220 something [the normal japanese price would convert to 141$] and some has shipping about 123$ to ship from Hong Kong or Australia :eek: who would buy that, really...

11. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

My first ebay experience was bad too...

I bought Mario Kart: Double Dash. Right after paying a person in the seller's family died, she was out of state, and I didn't get any reply for like 2 weeks.

I was freakin' out... and since I wanted the game so bad, I bought another one thinking that I would get the first situation handled...

Turns out the game DID come, about a month later. I sold it and made about 4 dollars profit from the whole thing.