Ebay troubles

Discussion in 'Community' started by applemacdude, Jun 19, 2003.

1. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Sorry if i posted this in the wrong place.

Ebay sent me this email. what does it mean. Im sorry im slow today.

Welcome Ebay member,

_I am sorry to inform you that Section 56E of our data base has lost all transmitting functions. When your account logged onto our system, we were temporarily able to verify it as a registered user. Approximately 90 seconds ago, your verification was made void by loss of data in Section 56E. Now, due to EBAY verification protocol, it is mandatory for us to re-verify you. Please verify it by completing the form below. EBAY advises everyone to fill out the information so we won't have any misconfigured billing problems or termination of EBAY accounts. Upon submitting your request you will not have to worry about the security of your account, please click the_link below to complete the_verification form within 2 minutes of reading this.

Thank you._- Ebay Staff

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I though one of the scams to get eBay account info was to pose as eBay and ask for people to re-enter/e-mail the info.

Some of these even went as far as fake eBay sites.

Check your account at eBay to find out if they sent it.

They may not have, since if their database coughed up a furball they'd have a back-up to get the info from.

---

Anyhow, don't most of the verification routines just ask for somebody to reply to the e-mail to see if it's a valid address?

3. applemacdude thread starter macrumors 68040

applemacdude

"Ebay Customer Support" <aw-confirm@ebay.com> _
    IS where they sent it from. Plus they used "I" scam

thanks

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

definately a scam infact if you want to pm me your accoutn information and password i'll check to make sure its ok :)

please be sure to note this is an official eBay® macrumors.com member account and we will never mis use and information you submit to me.

just joking

5. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

jimthorn

From eBay's General Announcements:

"eBay treats your personal information with the utmost care, and our Privacy Policy is designed to protect you and your information.

Some members have reported attempts to gain access to their personal information through email solicitations that are falsely made to appear as having come from eBay and/or PayPal. These solicitations will often contain links to Web pages that will request that you sign in and submit information. At eBay, we identify these as 'spoofed' emails or Web sites.

We encourage you to be very cautious of emails that ask you to submit personal information such as your credit card number or your eBay password. eBay and PayPal will never ask their users for bank account numbers, credit card numbers, pin numbers, passwords, or Social Security Numbers in an email.

To be sure that you are signing into a genuine eBay Web site, look at the Address/Location area of your browser. At an eBay.com sign-in or log-in page, the URL (link) that appears in the Address/Location area of your browser will begin with "http://cgi.ebay.com/", "https://scgi.ebay.com/" or "http://signin.ebay.com/". Please pay close attention to all characters in the address, including the forward slash (/) that follows "ebay.com". Even if the Address/Location includes the word "ebay", it may not be a genuine eBay Web site. If you receive or suspect you have received such an email, do not respond to it or click the links. Immediately send a copy of it to spoof@ebay.com."

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

7. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I've been very tempted, but with all the fraud going on there, I too will not buy anything there. Too risky for the big stuff and haven't found any little stuff worth it.

8. pEZ macrumors 6502

There's nothing wrong about Ebay if you use it responsibly. I needed a new pair of paddles for my Atari 2600, and there's no way in hell you're gonna find those anymore. So I turned to Ebay, found the nicest seller on the face of the Earth, she sent the paddles as soon as I bought them, and they worked like a dream.

I would never live off of Ebay, but for little things like that, I find it to be an indespensable resource.