Ebay turning into a ripoff

Discussion in 'Community' started by coopdog, Jun 21, 2004.

1. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2002
    The Great Midwest
    I get nothing but fees on ebay now. It costs $18 bucks to put on a bike w/ a $1200 reserve with no insurance that it will sell. I use my own image hosting and it's still a rip. Now since ebay owns paypal I get fees on money sent to me!? I sold it $20 not $15.98! Thats on top of ebay taking a percent of the sale price!!!

Ebay and paypal sucks! I just got a CD off ebay for $18 total. After 2 weeks I contacted him no replies, no package. Finally today, I open it just to find it is just two burned CD's!!! "F" that! Now what do I do, give him negitive feedback? Then he will give it right back, I only have 15 feedback so it will wreck my feedback and people buying $1200 bikes on my auctions now don't want to see new negitive feedback.

F U ebay! To bad there are no good auction sites! :mad:
  2. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    eBay is still the best auction site out there for hard to find collectibles. Things like comics, figurines, or vintage car parts can be eBay'd for a lot less than at antique stores.

I know what you mean about the fees. I am thinking about going back to accepting money orders only, or charging a fee to the buyer to send me a PayPal payment.
  3. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I agree that the feedback system is messed up. Retaliation is just too easy when your victim's only defense is the ability to make a footnote under your comment. I don't think awarded feedback should be visible until both parties give feedback.

Don't remind me about the fees though... I'm going to be selling a lot of stuff before I go off to school.
  4. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

Mar 17, 2003
    First check the advert and make sure it doesn't say the CD's were copies.
    If it doesn't, email him and ask for a refund.
    If you get messed around, tell eBay. At first they will say they can't solve a member-to-member dispute, but tell them the item was;
    A) Mis-represented
    B) Illegal

I get really really angry with the amount they charge, but to their credit they have solved every problem I've had.

Also, consider the damage a comment such as "after two weeks wait was sent illegal burnt cd copies, nothing like the advert" will do to his profile

5. krimson macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2003
    Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Unless your feedback is sub-90%, i dont think alot of people care. if it's close, ill check the feedback.. i think it's perfectly normal to have a few negatives, no one can be pleased 100% of the time.

First though, ask that guy for a refund. I got a burnt DVD, asked for a refund and i got it, sent the copies back to him. We both left positive feedback. I was very polite about it, and in turn so was he. Actually, he didn't want the copies back, but i sent it anyways.

As for the fees, I dont accept any CC's, only bank transfers, and the fees aren't so bad. If they want to use a CC, I say that they'll need to pay the 3% fee.
  6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    a few things to add in ...

the bad thing about needing both parties to add feedback is that newer people don't quite understand everything, and it shouldn't be up to older membes to walk them through everything. So waiting for mutula feedback to be left would stop giving incentive for experienced sellers to leave any feedback.

Its fine that you choose not to accept certain things via paypal, but its against ebay's rules to charge the buyer extra for a listed form of payment. Technically the buyer only has to pay you the amount they win +S/H even if you list it .... now of course it will depend on the each pqarticipant, but a winning bidder whos experienced on eBay should know and work on something.

eBay is still good, but it used to be like a nice professional auction place, but now its like a bizzarre of flea market ... there are still deals to be found.
  7. krimson macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2003
    Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i put a notation on the auction that I dont accept CC's, but I haven't been able to remove the logo's from the payment section. and I state that if you choose to use a CC, to let me know and I make it clear that the 3% will be required on the listing. I didn't realize that it may be against ebay's rules, but I haven't had any complaints so far from those that choose to do so.

ill have to look into the policies again.
  8. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

Dec 8, 2003
    There is an easy way to get around both of the fees you are talking about. First pay pal, they only take a fee if the money was from a credit card. If it was either from a paypal accound ot a balance transfer from a bank account, they don't have a fee.

Now if you are SURE you will be selling your bike for over $1200, then you can list the auction with no reserve starting at a dollar and you have like a 15¢ fee. I do that for all my auctions, but I would be slightly nervous about not having a reserve for something over a few hundered dollars. But the premise is that people will notice your item in 1 week if they are looking.
  9. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2003
    Yeah I'm about to sell my old iBook on ebay, and the fees are getting a bit much. With ebay owning Paypal they are taking something near 8% of the sale. Its a shame there really is no decent competition.
  10. DGFan macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    The paypal fees kind of suck but paypal was doing that for credit card transfers even before they were bought by ebay.

And as far as reserver, you may be forgetting that you get the reserve cost back (which should be more than half of the $18) if the item sells for above the reserve price. If the item doesn't sell, it's cheaper to list it at $1200 than to list it at $1 with a $1200 reserve.