Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
quruli said:
Um, lights and hard drive spinning up is a good indication. I didn't claim to know what it did when it turned on, just that when I pressed the power button it turned on and sounding like it was booting.
This is a dead horse by now, but why not whip it some more? :D

To me, "boots up" means that I could plug an external monitor into the laptop and I'd be able to use it.

However, as a buyer, I would have confirmed that's what you meant before buying it.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
In my experience, if a buyer wants to return an item, it is best to take it back. It is easier to relist and resell the item than to hassle with an angry buyer for two months.

That and if I bought a laptop from you and you said it boots, I would assume that it boots. Call me crazy. If it didn't boot, I would ask for a refund, too.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
To give you a better, even less complicated illustration of the issue...

I once sold a video card on eBay. I 100% knew nothing about it, had no way to test it (it was a PC card) and said basically "here is a photo of it, I know nothing about it, buy at your own risk, sold AS-IS"...

The buyer got it and claimed it was damaged and filed a PayPal claim and they took my money away.

quruli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
dpaanlka said:
Since he connected it to his external monitor and it shows nothing, then clearly the machine is not booting. I don't see what the problem is. AS-IS means nothing... what part of that did you miss

As-is means nothing? What is the point of it then? When you buy an item that says as-is then you know what you are buying. This isn't a mystery here. It is a broken laptop. It turned on just fine, what it did after that I don't know. I never claimed to know, nor did I claim to know what was wrong with it. I had ideas but I didn't know.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
quruli said:
As-is means nothing? What is the point of it then?

It has no point. People use on eBay because they see other people using it, and they think its some kind of official guarantee, but it actually isn't. Tell PayPal or eBay customer service about "AS-IS" and they basically laugh.

quruli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
dpaanlka said:
To give you a better, even less complicated illustration of the issue...

I once sold a video card on eBay. I 100% knew nothing about it, had no way to test it (it was a PC card) and said basically "here is a photo of it, I know nothing about it, buy at your own risk, sold AS-IS"...

The buyer got it and claimed it was damaged and filed a PayPal claim and they took my money away.

I completely understand. However, he did not go through paypal.

Also, you should have disputed it. If you are going to let some walk on you that is your own fault. But telling me "as-is" means nothing because of your personal experience means nothing to me.

As-is means as-is. You are buying trouble. There is no way I would buy something stated as being sold "as-is" and expecting to be a cake walk. I mean come on.

Now, I admit I could have used different words specifically taking out the word "boot". My mistake.

However what this gentelman is claiming initially is that nothing happens. Then please tell me why you would test the DVD drive, the hard drive as well as an external display when the damn thing doesnt even power on?

quruli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
dpaanlka said:
It has no point. People use on eBay because they see other people using it, and they think its some kind of official guarantee, but it actually isn't. Tell PayPal or eBay customer service about "AS-IS" and they basically laugh.

Again just because you got burned does not mean it means nothing.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
quruli said:
I completely understand. However, he did not go through paypal.

Also, you should have disputed it. If you are going to let some walk on you that is your own fault. But telling me "as-is" means nothing because of your personal experience means nothing to me.

As-is means as-is. You are buying trouble. There is no way I would buy something stated as being sold "as-is" and expecting to be a cake walk. I mean come on.

Now, I admit I could have used different words specifically taking out the word "boot". My mistake.

However what this gentelman is claiming initially is that nothing happens. Then please tell me why you would test the DVD drive, the hard drive as well as an external display when the damn thing doesnt even power on?

I disputed it for months and there was almost a lawsuit over it (kind of silly, actually). PayPal is owned by eBay, and it doesn't matter anyway, because they both say the same thing.

You really aught to listen to what I'm saying.

I challenge you to find any mention of "AS-IS" in any official eBay policy literature.

quruli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
paleck said:
It looks like someone did something, as the eBay now says the buyer ID no longer exists.

Buyer Link returns this message:

It did that for mine too. I think it was just a glitch. Because it came up when I clicked it again.

quruli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
aristobrat said:
This is a dead horse by now, but why not whip it some more? :D

To me, "boots up" means that I could plug an external monitor into the laptop and I'd be able to use it.

However, as a buyer, I would have confirmed that's what you meant before buying it.

Not only did he not ask for more details. He violated my money order policy and used buy it now without contacting me. On top of that he has been nothing but rude threatening to leave negative feedback not once but twice because I wasn't giving him and minute by minute update and his "pennies" were at risk.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Dude, I know it sucks, I've been there before.

You said it was booting, and it isn't. That's all there is to it. Give him a refund.

quruli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
dpaanlka said:
I disputed it for months and there was almost a lawsuit over it (kind of silly, actually). PayPal is owned by eBay, and it doesn't matter anyway, because they both say the same thing.

You really aught to listen to what I'm saying.

I challenge you to find any mention of "AS-IS" in any official eBay policy literature.

I am listening to what you are saying. "As-is" is not a policy. I am not seekign to find a policy however I sold this as-is. Unless you are an idiot you arent going to buy this and then complain about it.

Not just complain but lie about the condition as well.

paleck

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2005
with the Tequila!
quruli said:
It did that for mine too. I think it was just a glitch. Because it came up when I clicked it again.

I tried it a few times, but nothing....I'll try it again in a bit and see if it is still broken.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
quruli said:
Unless you are an idiot you arent going to buy this and then complain about it.

If you say it is booting and it's not, there is no two ways about it. It doesn't matter if hes an idiot or not. It's a pretty simple problem with a fairly simple solution. Refund, relist, be more precise and honest.

quruli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
dpaanlka said:
If you say it is booting and it's not, there is no two ways about it. It doesn't matter if hes an idiot or not. It's a pretty simple problem with a fairly simple solution. Refund, relist, be more precise and honest.

It is booting, it is doing something if he is testing an external display and hard drives and dvd drive. Just becase it isn't doing what he wants it to do doesnt mean he has the right to a refund.

Also, why the heck is threatening legal action. Now if I said no I am not giving a refund yeah maybe. But from the first email saying it was not up to par he is threatening legal action.

I am not trying to be a jerk or unreasonable. But this guy has been a hassle since he clicked buy it now. And I have had a feeling he would do this from the begininng. Simply because of his tone in all the emails.

I will give a refund, but considering he has holes in his story. I think I will hold out and see what else he says.

sierra oscar

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
South Australia, Australia
I realise this buyer has irked you right from the start - and he may as well be a bit of a tosser - however like others have said...your wording was ambiguous. I know you knew what you meant when you wrote the description - but the 'boots up' and 'as is' is open to interpretation...

You probably wouldn't be arguing the point so much if your buyer was more reasonable sounding... but unfortunately I think his request is reasonable considering.

However, it's all so personal - if this was me and I was the buyer, I think I'd have just accepted it - as it was hardly a sure thing to work out of the box. But that's just me and my responsibility in this sort of risk buy - but your buyer is obviously not - so perhaps refund and relist to be done with it.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
I say we've given this guy all the "help" he needs...let's let him find his own way out of the mess he's created/creating and lock this thing. The solution has been stated in almost every post.

quruli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
sierra oscar said:
I realise this buyer has irked you right from the start - and it may as well be a bit of a tosser - however like others have said...your wording was ambiguous. I know you knew what you meant when you wrote the description - but the 'boots up' and 'as is' is open to interpretation...

You probably wouldn't be arguing the point so much if your buyer was more reasonable sounding... but unfortunately I think his request is reasonable considering.

However, it's all so personal - if this was me and I was the buyer, I think I'd have just accepted it - as it was hardly a sure thing to work out of the box. But that's just me and my responsibility in this sort of risk buy - but your buyer is obviously not - so perhaps refund and relist to be done with it.

I don't think it is very reasonable to threaten legal action when I had made no indication that I would not cooperate with him on the matter.

quruli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
MovieCutter said:
I say we've given this guy all the "help" he needs...let's let him find his own way out of the mess he's created/creating and lock this thing. The solution has been stated in almost every post.

Yes give a refund. Whatever. However, you guys arent looking at the entire picture. Specifically his email which makes no sense.

Would you hook an external LCD up to a broken laptop (which evidently doesnt power on) and expect some magic to happen?

What is claiming makes no sense.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
quruli said:
Yes give a refund. Whatever. However, you guys arent looking at the entire picture. Specifically his email which makes no sense.

Would you hook an external LCD up to a broken laptop (which evidently doesnt power on) and expect some magic to happen?

What is claiming makes no sense.

We don't care about the entire picture anymore. You're talking to a brick wall. Everybody has stated, "Give him a refund, relist, and move on with your life." Why are you dragging this on for so long? It's not your money, what the hell do you care? Get this guy off your back and get out of the situation. Grow up and stop being so stubborn.

sierra oscar

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
South Australia, Australia
quruli said:
I don't think it is very reasonable to threaten legal action when I had made no indication that I would not cooperate with him on the matter.

I realise his email may be non-sensical - and he may be unreasonable by jumping the gun by threatening legal action - but I wouldn't read too much into that - he is just upset - and when ppl get hot under the collar - all manner of things usually come forth.

I think he is just venting at you - more than really being logical

quruli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
MovieCutter said:
We don't care about the entire picture anymore. You're talking to a brick wall. Everybody has stated, "Give him a refund, relist, and move on with your life." Why are you dragging this on for so long? It's not your money, what the hell do you care? Get this guy off your back and get out of the situation. Grow up and stop being so stubborn.

Do you feel better judging people you don't know on the internet?

Do you feel better assuming I had no intention of giving a refund and that you are right?

Fact is, I plan on giving a refund. I just wanted to see if I could avoid all of this. I can read just fine and you only had to suggest "refund, relist" once. However, you feel the need to think I am "immature" and "stubborn" and keep driving it home.

Thanks for nothing.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
I understand your frustration, however you must learn to accurately use the terminology. It doesn't matter what you *feel* like it should mean. "Booting" means the combination of hardware and software working together to bring you to an operational starting point. Your machine did not do this in any way.

quruli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
dpaanlka said:
I understand your frustration, however you must learn to accurately use the terminology. It doesn't matter what you *feel* like it should mean. "Booting" means the combination of hardware and software working together to bring you to an operational starting point. Your machine did not do this in any way.

You are correct, and I realized this after the fact. However my point was that the buyer is not being honest about its condition. Which is what bothered me. And the "legal action" was way out of line.

I already told him to send it back and he would get a refund. It still feels to me that is he having buyers remorse because it wont be as easy to fix as he assumed it would be.

And he decided to lie about it instead of accepting the fact that he bought an as-is item.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
quruli said:
And he decided to lie about it instead of accepting the fact that he bought an as-is item.

Which circles me back to the original point, that "AS-IS" is not a valid seller protection. Had you decided not to give him a refund, then he would leave negative feedback, then you would dispute the feedback and eBay would ask why, then you would say "because it was sold AS-IS" then eBay would say "that sucks for you"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.