Ebay?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Osiris3679, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Osiris3679 macrumors newbie

Has anyone bought a macbook on ebay? Good experience or a bad one?

2. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

:confused: Uh I'm sure if you buy from someone with good feedback/etc then you'll have a good sale. Why would the buying experience be different for a MacBook over another computer? Anyway, I've purchased a few Macs (Including an iBook) off eBay and it worked out for me great.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

there are always fraudulent sellers on eBay...i sold a couple of computers and have worked out fine, remember that you always have paypal to protect you...one advice is to be very careful on the shipping methods.

4. rfrankl macrumors 6502

As long as you buy from sellers with high feedback levels, you should be alright.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Except for frauds who run up their ratings with many inconsequential purchases (eBooks, playing cards, etc. etc.).
    Or groups of fraudsters that make shill purchases from each other to increase their feedback.
    Or accounts which have been hijacked...
    Or...

You don't always have PayPal protection. Read the fine print.
    PayPal and eBay buyer protection comes with strict limits - for example, if they ship you something that wasn't as described (but actually did ship SOMEthing), or if they are a non-verified PayPal member, or if they clean out their PayPal account right after you pay, and the cash is non recoverable, or if they string you along on shipping until the claim period has expired. Also it does nada for you if the seller talks you into doing a money order or wire transfer or some other non-recoverable payment method.

Remember that the feedback system is a peer pressure mechanism only - if the fraudster is planning to close their account anyway, it means absoluterly nothing to them if they are given bad feedback or banned from eBay. Feedback is a deterrent to bad behaviour only if you are an honest and continuing eBay member (ironic, huh? The good sellers are those most hurt by malicious feedback, and it doesn't fizz on the thieves at all).

That was some particularly naive advice, there, mates.

Question: Why would you even consider taking the chance on eBay when you can buy an Apple Refurb with 1 year warranty?

Think about it: Especially with 'new' MacBooks on eBay - Dealers wholesale cost is about 5% less than Apple Store retail. How much sense does it make that random people on eBay have large supply of 'new' Apple product to sell at a discount? Unless they are not new, or stolen, or nonexistent.
    How many people actually win new Apple machines in raffles, or get given new machines by their boss, or accidentally ordered 2 units, anyways (to quote three of the most overused excuses)?

6. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

7. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

You need to understand it doesn't really depend on the product. You just have to be careful with Ebay as a whole. No specific product is at fault more than another. Just buy from someone with a decent amount of feedback (try for someone with 99% + positive) and if the auction looks strange etc don't buy. If you still feel worried, email the seller. There really isn't much more you can do. You guys make it sound like every Ebay auction is hijacked or a scam. Oh, and buy with PayPal (Regardless of the fine print, it is the safest way).

8. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Great advice.....Please listen.....get a refurb.

9. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I would worry. you have a high chance of getting a macbook with Issues.....

10. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

Like all things on ebay, there are mixed reviews but you must be extremely wary when purchasing as there are MANY scams on eBay. Your best bet is probably to purchase from someone with VERY high feedback like 98%+ or PowerSellers. Best of luck and always make sure you read the "item description" VERY carefully.

11. winchest macrumors regular

I have had good experience buying and selling computers on ebay in the past but I just recently decided to go with the refurbished MacBook off of the Apple store anyways. The prices are just about as good as you will get on ebay and there is peace of mind buying directly.

Good luck!

12. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

one of the negatives to applecare on ebay is whether or not the software is up to date for your machine. I know that most people don't buy applecare for techtool deluxe, but if apple tells you to run that first and your version is out of date, your hard drive has just become a paperweight until you reformat it.

To reiterate, what others have said, buy from someone with high feedback (98+), AND someone who has been an ebay member for more than 6 months. If offered a wire transfer, take it, as long as they send you the item before you wire payment.

13. FDX macrumors regular

Here is a item that was to good to be true Ebay item #330065822633. It did end up being fraud.:eek: It looks like the buyer did end up getting their money back.:) Im sure they were sweating it though.

Anyway stay away from what looks like a super deal. With some with little or no feedback.

14. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

A very good tool to review sellers feedback is toolhaus.org
    It will let you see just the negatives and neutrals.

Also, read the responses the seller's leave...especially in response to negative comments. I've decided not to purchase an item I really wanted when it was apparent the seller was immature or rude.

FWIW, I don't buy new computer equipment online. There is no such thing as a great Apple deal. They aren't sold below cost by any supplier. You might get free shipping or some such, but prices on a new machine are fixed by Apple.

If you want to buy used, then get a Mac Refurb unit, as it comes with a 1 year warranty.

eBay is great for Vintage macs and parts, but I wouldn't ever by a new apple there.

15. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I have bought two Mac's on ebay, no problems.

It is important to check the sellers feedback before bidding, it's also essential to check the cost of P & P as sometimes this can be rather excessive.

FJ

16. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Cool! I use that site too. Very helpful.

17. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Cheers, that really is a very useful site.

Thanks FJ :)