1. devro macrumors newbie

heya guys. im needing to get a mac. basically im doing graphic design at unio so i need to use photoshop 7 quite alot. dya think this G3 would be able to run it to a average/good level? i know it wont be lightning fast but i use this type of thing at colleger and it seems to be ok? any suggestions? could i uopgrade this machine if i needed it to be faster? these are kits specs:

450 MHz Power PC processor
    256 SDRAM
    20GB Hard Drive
    Boots into Mac OS 9.2.1 or OS 10.3.4
    DVD/CD ROM (slot loading)
    Internal 56K V90 modem
    Airport ready
    4 USB ports (includes 2 on keyboard)
    2 Firewire ports

thanks very much people!

2. netytan macrumors 6502

netytan

Mmmm, it seems to be pretty low spec and Photoshop is pretty labour intensive. In any case it probably will run it though its not going to be pretty.

Just my $0.2, i'm pretty new to the mac world myself,

Mark.

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

what's the ebay link? and what's the price?

I'd say it'd be ok, but it's no speed demon. That's about what all my professors run in college in their offices. Except you'll need more RAM, at least 512MB and 1GB is recommended. If you absolutely can't afford the $800 eMac, then this would be "alright." Keep in mind that this is a 1999 machine.

EDIT: Just noticed the *slot loading* drive, so this is prolly a 2000-2001 iMac instead of the '99 B/W I assumed. I say get the Blue and White G3 tower instead of the iMac. You'll get more screen choices to use. Plus you can get it in the same specs as the iMac and it'll be considerably cheaper, prolly sub-$300 if you look. Then again, a new eMac would be over twice as fast and be like twice as much $$$. It's your call.

4. Miner Willy macrumors regular

G3 query

It will run Photoshop 7 but relatively slowly. You'd be better off buying an eMac for £516 (in apple ed store) and sticking 512mb of Ram when you can afford it.

I had a blue and white g3 once and it was great but when I bought a 800mhz power book it made it feel really slooow. Also if you are using Macs at uni as soon as you come home and use a G3 you will want to let your veins. :(

5. budaapple macrumors regular

Try this

Go to macofalltrades.com in Atlanta. Much more relaible and you should be able to find what you are looking for without the scam risk and fees of Ebay.GooD Luck