Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weblogik

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2007
I am seriously considering selling my iMac to replace it with one of the new ones. I feel like in a couple of years it will just be sitting around in a box anyway already having been replaced so im thinking this might make more sense, wondering what you think would be fair to ask for it / expect to get to see what my difference in price might be...

27 inch iMac 2.8 Ghz i5
16 gb ram
1 tb harddrive that is part of the recalled units, so i would swap it out with a brand new one prior to selling
Covered by apple care until august 2013 (2.5 years old)

Thanks!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

weblogik

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 7, 2007
As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

oh awesome thanks!
Your Computer is a
iMac 27 inch Intel Core i5 2.80 GHz 16128 / 1000 GB / superdrive
The Mac2Sell Quoted Value is :
$1,450

is this realistic? i was thinking would be less this might be a no brainer...

durruti

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2004
Jersey
I think you should reconsider ebay.

If at all possible, you should consider selling it local.

1) Chance of breakage in ship and associated effort
2) Fees with ebay+paypal
3) relatively less C02 emissions compared to shipping item

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

No. Use Apple refurbished pricing. That is what you want to do.

I think you should reconsider ebay.

If at all possible, you should consider selling it local.

1) Chance of breakage in ship and associated effort
2) Fees with ebay+paypal
3) relatively less C02 emissions compared to shipping item

I refuse to sit on something I don't want or need anymore because of C02 emissions.
Then again, I'm not a hippy and I sometimes don't recycle.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I would say....

$1150-1250 tops. The remaining AppleCare helps, but also helps no cosmetic/funcional issues and good care of the machine. With ebay you have to consider the fees, and if not selling locally, the shipping costs/ risks.

:):apple:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
oh awesome thanks!
Your Computer is a
iMac 27 inch Intel Core i5 2.80 GHz 16128 / 1000 GB / superdrive
The Mac2Sell Quoted Value is :
$1,450

is this realistic? i was thinking would be less this might be a no brainer...

I have a 3.4GHZ I7 ( 2011 ) model...mine has the 2GB GPU upgrade as well as self-installed 16GB RAM upgrade...Value in the UK? £1700.00 or thereabouts, so I think your price estimate is about right....Value back home is lower, but so is original sales price, but in the end it's finding a sale...I haven't been pushing mine too hard, it's Christmas so probably be better to start really advertising it in January, but my upgrade is a BTO which won't deliver until first week of January anyway.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.