Price Advice Ebaying a 27 inch iMac still under apple care

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by weblogik, Dec 21, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

I am seriously considering selling my iMac to replace it with one of the new ones. I feel like in a couple of years it will just be sitting around in a box anyway already having been replaced so im thinking this might make more sense, wondering what you think would be fair to ask for it / expect to get to see what my difference in price might be...

27 inch iMac 2.8 Ghz i5
    16 gb ram
    1 tb harddrive that is part of the recalled units, so i would swap it out with a brand new one prior to selling
    Covered by apple care until august 2013 (2.5 years old)

Thanks!

2. macrumors demi-god

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

3. macrumors regular

oh awesome thanks!
    Your Computer is a
    iMac 27 inch Intel Core i5 2.80 GHz 16128 / 1000 GB / superdrive
    The Mac2Sell Quoted Value is :
    $1,450

is this realistic? i was thinking would be less this might be a no brainer...

4. macrumors 68030

Spink10

5. macrumors regular

I think you should reconsider ebay.

If at all possible, you should consider selling it local.

1) Chance of breakage in ship and associated effort
    2) Fees with ebay+paypal
    3) relatively less C02 emissions compared to shipping item

6. macrumors 68030

Spink10

Good points

7. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No. Use Apple refurbished pricing. That is what you want to do.

I refuse to sit on something I don't want or need anymore because of C02 emissions.
    Then again, I'm not a hippy and I sometimes don't recycle.

8. macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

I would say....

$1150-1250 tops. The remaining AppleCare helps, but also helps no cosmetic/funcional issues and good care of the machine. With ebay you have to consider the fees, and if not selling locally, the shipping costs/ risks.

:):apple:

9. macrumors regular

By all means, go ship route, if no locals.

10. Macman45, Dec 23, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2012

macrumors G5

Macman45

I have a 3.4GHZ I7 ( 2011 ) model...mine has the 2GB GPU upgrade as well as self-installed 16GB RAM upgrade...Value in the UK? £1700.00 or thereabouts, so I think your price estimate is about right....Value back home is lower, but so is original sales price, but in the end it's finding a sale...I haven't been pushing mine too hard, it's Christmas so probably be better to start really advertising it in January, but my upgrade is a BTO which won't deliver until first week of January anyway.