Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by sjs, Apr 29, 2002.

1. sjs macrumors 6502

Feb 15, 2002
    Apple's next new product:

Step One: Take the current 14.1" iBook, upgrade the screen and put in a G4.

Step Two: rename the current 12.1" iBook: eBook!

Question - will the eBook have a g4?
  2. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast

Why would they do this? I'm a consumer, not student. I would like to buy a G4 iBook with a 12in screen. Under your product matrix, I would be SOL.

But who knows with Apple. They're suprising everyone.
  3. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    Yes, I could easily see that... which would bump the iBooks up to the G4 processor and completely wipe the G3 out of the current line-up. Whether Apple would introduce the PowerBook G5 at the same time or afterwards is another story. Since we currently have the iMac and PowerMac overlapping processor-wise, I could see Apple overlapping the iBook and PowerBook's processors too...

So... possibility for July:
    PowerMac = G5
    iBook & "eBook" = G4

then, later:
    PowerBook = G5

It actually makes sense.
  4. sjs thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 15, 2002
    Couple of months ago I started a thread about 17" crt iMac with a G3 at 1 ghz. Got flamed. (I deserved it: I missed the G3 part.)

About 3 or 4 months ago I posted quite a few times about adding contacts and calendaring to iPod. Got flamed.

I am feeling just a little vindicated right now. Maybe eBook will be out at MWNY?!
  5. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

Nov 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Of course, there is still no 17" iMac, and no calendar on the iPod... but that's beside the point, apparently.
  6. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    What I want...

I want a G4 in the iBook. For around 1500 maybe? Apple needs to do this...for me!
  7. sjs thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 15, 2002
    Whats in a name? A rose is a rose...
    17" crt in eMac
    Contacts in iPod. Calendaring available from third parties and soon from Apple.

Speaking of "evidently"...this is a rumor/dicussion site. I guess thinking creatively is not up everyone's alley. Its more fun than criticising.

Last month, for the sheer joy of it, I predicted that by MWSF every Apple computer will offer a 1 ghz chip. Think that one has a chance?

MWSF 2003
    eBook 1 ghz G3
    iBook 1 ghz G4
    TiBook 1 ghz (or 1.2) G4

eMac 1ghz G4
    iMac 1 ghz or 1.2 ghz
    PowerBook 1.6 ghz
  8. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

17in iMac

Just to correct someone we now have a 17in CRT eMac!
    Now hopefully means that Apple will put a 17in LCD on the new iMac!
  9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    Knowing Apple... nope! But who knows, maybe Apple will truly go "beyond the rumor sites. Way beyond." this time. :D
  10. sjs thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 15, 2002
    By Apple putting the G4 in the eMac, what does that tell us?
    (They said that educators wanted more speed.)

a) They can't get the G3 up to 900 or 1000 mhz, so they had to put a G4 in it.

b) They WANTED the G4 in it as a part of their strategy.

I think its b). Which means that they are phasing out G3. (Which means an eBook would get a G4.)

Which means that they are positioning their entire lineup for G4 low and G5 high. Soon.
  11. gbojim macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2002
    Actually I was asking my Apple rep about that earlier today. The answer was they cannot get 1GHz G3s yet, the G4s at that clock rate are cheaper and with the Altivec optimization included in 10.2 the G4 would provide much better performance than the G3.
  12. SPG macrumors 65816

Jul 24, 2001
    In the shadow of the Space Needle.
    If Apple introduced a G4 iBook, I'd buy one. I don't really need a tiBook for that kind of money, but the G3 iBook is too slow for doing any video stuff that I would want to do while travelling or hanging out away from my desk. Do I really need a laptop? Well no, but if it only cost around $1500, then I could justify the luxury. Can I justify the luxury for a machine that won't do what i want it to? nope.
    Come on Apple, drop the G3 already.