eBook??

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by pc_convert?, Apr 30, 2002.

1. pc_convert? macrumors regular

Now that Apple has released the eMac what are the chances of an eBook?

What sort of specs would such a machine have and what would this mean for the iBook?

It seems Apple is making a conscious effort to migrate all macs to a G4's so OS X can take advantage of AltiVec.

If an eBook was released with a 500MHz G4 would this signal a sooner than expected G5 in the pro lines?

BTW the eMac domain name doesn't belong to apple:

Registrant:
    Enterprise Mortgage Acceptance Company LLC (EMAC5-DOM)
    One Glendinning Place
    Westport, CT 06880
    US

but the ebook domain is up for sale...

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

eBook....

I am not sure if Apple is planning to make an eBook. Seems to me as if the iBook is a great machine for schools, and is Apple's education laptop.

Although, Apple really doesn't have a laptop for the REST of us. The iBook is for students, and the PowerBook is for pros. What about me?

I want a laptop, G4 around 667MHz, with a nice graphics card, nice screen, combo drive, and all that stuff for around 1800 dollars.

I think Apple is goign to upgrade the iBook to a G4, and IF they make an eBook, it will also be a G4 (like a low end iBook G4)

3. pc_convert? thread starter macrumors regular

MacAztec said,
    Maybe a repositioning then? Relabel the iBook the eBook and produce a consumer (i.e. non-pro) laptop iBook for the rest of us.

4. iGav macrumors G3

Wouldn't this be alittle confusing, let alone pointless??? :rolleyes:

Getting rid of the current consumer laptop, by merely rebranding it........ so to everyone it's the iBook, with a name change, then they go and make a new consumer laptop...... called the iBook........ :confused:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..................:rolleyes:

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

to fit the emac, basically a g4 powered imac, the ebook should be a g4 powered ibook

this may be premature, but apple could eventually offer the ebook and also have a g4i book for the non-education customers

so in the 4 square marketing grid, there could eventually be the powermac, the tibook, the emac+imac, and the ebook+ibook

g4 processors for the consumer and education end, and the g5 processor for the professional end

...assuming that there will be a g5 or even if that is what they will call it;)

6. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

A G4 ibook would be great for the consumer, but would gut the tiBook sales...unless the tiBook went G5. Seeing as how popular consensus predicts no G5 tower before MWNY at the earliest, a G4 iBook introed in the near term would cut down sales of the just revamped tiBook, and so I doubt Apple will intro a G4 ibook soon. I hope I am dead wrong about this since I would buy a G4 iBook right away.

7. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i'm not quite sure what the eBook is, i'm guessing that it's a student specific Mac?:confused:

8. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

How about the iBook goes and gets equivilant to the new iMac and from then, tries to update at the same rate...the eBook comes in and is a education-built computer so it's solid, can do work and whatever...Maybe it could run those 1GHz+ IBM G3's...

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

how about a dual g4 tibook living alongside a single g4 ibook?

or a g4 ibook with combo drive and a g4 tibook with superdrive

10. ericb88 macrumors member

macaztec, your not alone. i would absolutely love a 667 G4 with a combo drive, and good graphics card for 1800. Even if you make it like 2000 (just include airport)

11. ericb88 macrumors member