ECC errors

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DeadSirius, Nov 8, 2006.

1. DeadSirius macrumors member

I bought a pair of 2 GB FB-DIMMs for my mac pro, and tested them immediately. I ran Rember on it all night for two nights, and Apple Hardware Test on it twice. Neither app reported any problems. It's been almost two weeks, and they seem to work great. No apparant hiccups, though I haven't noticed much speed difference, other than less drive accessing.

Anyway, tonight I glanced into System Profiler, and the status on one of them was "ECC errors". So I'm wondering, how bad is this? Should I return it? (I didn't realize System Profiler had a status indicator until tonight, so I have no idea how long it's been like that.)

2. Monyx macrumors member

I found the same thing with 1GB DIMM in DIMM Riser B, DIMM 2 slot. I re-ran a newly purchased Memtest 4.14 specifically for MacPros...5 interations over night still reported no problems, not sure what I should do either as returning DIMMS is a hassle from Australia --> US.

3. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

I think if you click on it in ASP, it will show you how many errors have cropped up. Of course, you could say that as it is correcting the errors OK, everything is fine, but I'd send them back if I were you.

David

4. DeadSirius thread starter macrumors member

I rebooted and did a 90-minute, render-intensive Final Cut sequence to Compressor, and Profiler showed over 9800 errors. I read that someone else re-seated their RAM and fixed their problem, so I'll try that first. But otherwise, it looks like I'll have to return it.

5. Monyx macrumors member

I contacted the author or MemTest, he said Memtest is not aware of ECC RAM so just reports ok if what it reads from RAM matches what it writes. So, the Apple profiler report is worrying and I have arranged to return my RAM. After a reset last night I noticed my 2x1GB DIMMS are now reported as 2x512MB DIMMS, so I've lost 1GB of RAM - strange. 2GB are back after a shut-down.

Despite my ECC errors numbering ~212800, machine is stable no crashes, my compressor renders on short projects are okay - but certainly not acceptable for RAM a few weeks old.

EDIT: copy in the reply from MemTest author,