Eclipse

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by almightyshoe, Aug 23, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

Has anyone had any success getting Eclipse to work on an Intel Mac? For the life of me I just keep running into problem after problem.

2. macrumors regular

I have eclipse(for mac) installed and it is running well.

do you have bug problem or just usage problem?

I am also new too, found it hard to organize component development in JAVA.

It seems like I can't have regular folder under a package. I am still working to see what can be done.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Mine doesn't even start up. I open eclipse, it opens terminal, then the whole thing goes *poop* and it displays a pop up information window with the contents of the folder.

4. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Which version are you using?

3.2.0, build M20060629-1905 works fine for me.

The earlier versions did not work on Intel Macs, and 3.2 was the first to do so (I've been using the beta build on Intel Macs since, oh, February or so, but the latest version seems to run fine).
    I'm not sure what you mean by this - what sort of folder would you want inside of a package?

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Here's my terminal message:

/Applications/Eclipse/eclipse/Eclipse.app/Contents/MacOS/eclipse; exit
    Unable to access jarfile startup.jar
    logout
    [Process completed]

Then it pops up with JVM Terminated, exit code = 1.

And I'm on a MacBook, using the version I yanked off here:

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/do...06291905/eclipse-SDK-3.2-macosx-carbon.tar.gz

I just found a note saying I need to download some libraries from connect.apple.com, going to try that and see what happens.

6. macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Hmm, yeah I don't know what the problem is either. I'm using the same version/build as jsw at work right now on my iMac CD. Have you kept up with Software Updates, specifically java ones? Maybe try dragging it to the trash and downloading Eclipse from a different mirror? I'm clueless, obviously. :confused:

7. macrumors 68040

plinden

Are you really opening it in Terminal? Or do you mean that's the console log?

Just how are you starting it? If you're trying to open it in Terminal, type "open /Application/Eclipse/eclipse/Eclipse.app"

I haven't had any problems with it (at least, fewer problems than with the Windows or Linux versions, which crash and run out of memory regularly).

8. thread starter macrumors regular

That was the console log. I redownloaded it and now it works fine, which is interesting because the md5 matched both times.

9. macrumors regular

I got it figured out, thanks