Ecoterrorists

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MongoTheGeek, May 31, 2006.

1. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    There are some people who I disagree with but can understand...

In this case though.

http://www.pennlive.com/newsflash/pa/index.ssf?/base/news-38/1148845466256050.xml&storylist=penn

2. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

mmm venison!

Too bad the farmer wasn't there to shoot him... $25K damage, I'd be pissed

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I thought that part of the definition of 'terrorism' was that the acts instill fear in either the victims or the public at large. Without defending these acts, I'm at a loss for how you can describe this as 'terrorism'?

This is ecovandalism at best.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Ecoterrorists are some of the stupidest people on the planet, even worse than religious extremists. "Hey, don't build that here! *burns the building releasing all sorts of crap in the atmosphere*" "Let's save the planet by slicing and driving nails into trees and burning buildings containing potentially toxic chemicals!"
    ****ing dumbasses. :mad:

5. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

It's terrorism in the fact that the person did it with the intent to make the orchard owner afraid to shoot more deer for fear that more damage to his trees would occur.

Looks like the perpetrator picked a poor target considering how often the article said the orchard owner actually had to shoot deer. Seems kind of stupid to try to punish someone who's only rarely part of the problem rather than someone who is constantly shooting at the animals (or at least killed one recently). Yeah, THAT'S going to get the message across.... :rolleyes:

Either way it seems like a stupid punishment.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Then why aren't abortion activists routinely refered to as ChristiTerrorists? Why aren't those who destroy opponents political signs referred to as PoliTerrorists? Should we call people wearing "Stop Snitching" apparel terrorists, since the intent of that gear is to instill fear in people? Why don't we call extortion terrorism?

Call me old fashioned, but violence against trees doesn't equate to violence against people in my book.

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I love it when those a-holes in Boulder, Colorado want me to sign petitions to "STOP KILLING THE RAINFORESTS" and the petition is on paper. :rolleyes:

If it were digital, or on onion paper, I'd sign, but the hypcorisy of their actions is what's so funny.

8. pooky macrumors 6502

The really stupid thing is that there are so damn many deer in the east, they are actually a fairly significant threat to the environment. So people who claim to be in support of the environment, by making people afraid to shoot deer, are actually probably causing even more damage.

9. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

That's always the problem I've had with Ad Busters. They seem to have a good message, and some very well written articles & ad spoofs. But at the same time they are talking about over-consumption they encourage people to print out flyers (aka: ads) for buy nothing day and such.

Now I agree with their message, but does putting another ad into the machine help fight advertising? Or plastering flyers all over the city?

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yeah, deer are overpopulated in a lot of places and since wolves and bears have been eliminated from most places in the US, the only solutions are to slow their growth through shooting them or allowing them to be run over on the roads or be killed off by disease.

11. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

ter·ror·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (tr-rzm)
    n.
    The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person or an organized group against people or property with the intention of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for ideological or political reasons.

I suppose with that definition there are a lot of people/groups that we don't call terrorists, but should. :D

BTW, I do believe that those who try to blow up or damage abortion clinics are terrorists--not to mention the fact that they lack understanding of the Christian tenets they claim to understand and follow, but that's for another thread on another day....

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Exactly, and thus the term is used to frame the debate. And it suggests that just because they left a note, they can be treated much more harshly by the justice system than someone who committed the exact same crime of vandalism but didn't leave a note.