Eddie Albert, dead at 99

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, May 27, 2005.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My fond memory of him was on "Green Acres." At 99, we can definitely say that he had a long full life.

My prayers go out to his family and friends.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/entertainment/11758003.htm

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I saw that. Seems like he went quite peacefully, and at 99 he certainly had a long, full, and fulfilling life.

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I kind of rediscovered Green Acres when TV Land ran that marathon a couple of years ago. I still stop for it whenever I'm channel-flipping and it's there.

Green Acres had a surreal quality to it, and the real plot of each episode was to see how long it would take to drive Oliver Wendell Douglas crazy. There were two primary running gags. One would be to have totally unrelated characters (i.e., their paths hadn't crossed in the story) come up to him and ask him things like, "Say, are you hung over?", to which he'd respond in an increasingly testy manner, "I am NOT hung over!") The other, of course, was the impossible stuff, like Arnold going to college or Lisa's chickens laying square eggs ("How could a chicken---?").

What made those silly gags work was Eddie Albert's increasingly perplexed reaction to them. That's what really sold the jokes, and that's the way I'll always remember him.

Does anybody also recall a good but short-lived series Eddie Albert was in with Robert Wagner called Switch?

4. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Good grief, he was 99 years old? He didn't seem all that old on Green Acres, and that wasn't that long ago, was it? How old is Zsa Zsa now?

5. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Yeah, I remember him as the warden in The Longest Yard circa '74 starring Burt Reynolds and Teen Wolf's Dad. Amazing how these old-time actors drop off the radar for years and then reappear via an obit. Kind of a thankless way to go...

6. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

...and the real plot of each episode was to see how long it would take to drive Oliver Wendell Douglas crazy.

You missed the hidden meaning in the show. It was Oliver that was crazy.

7. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

It was Eva, and she's been dead for years. Eb is still alive, as is Mr. Drucker.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

"Green Acres" was a fun show.

This evening, my wife and I watched the "Longest Day". He plays a Colonel in the movie. Gets killed on the beach.

Sushi

9. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Yeah, The Longest Day was a veritable Who's Who in Hollywood when it was released. I forgot he was in that also.