Edgar Ray Killen sentenced

Discussion in 'Community' started by iSaint, Jun 23, 2005.

1. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Edgar Ray Killen received the maximum 20 years per count, on the guilty of manslaughter verdicts reached the other day. I just saw it live on Fox, I'm sure there will be links up soon.

I live 90 miles from here, I was one year old when this happened. But growing up here I can say there are stil difficulties we all face on a daily basis, not just here but around the US, and the world. No one in the world is any better off in dealing with issues of intolerance than any one else.

2. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

If you don't know anything about it, three civil rights workers were murdered by a gang of supposed KKK members 41 years ago in Philadelphia, MS. These are only three of the countless and senseless murders that occurred in that day both in Mississippi and all over the US.

link

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but it seems as if you're saying that Killen should not have received the sentence he did. If that's what you're saying, please allow me to express my disagreement.

He was found guilty of manslaughter; he should be punished for his crime.

Suggesting that punishing someone for his crime is pointless because it doesn't prevent other crimes, while it may be a valid point, is also beside the point. Punishing people for crimes is simply the way our legal system works. Certainly other steps, such as building community awareness and working to prevent crime can be more important in the long run, but these steps will never work without the threat of punishment.

If what you're saying is that there is too much crime and too many people in prison, I agree, but if you're saying Killen shouldn't be put in jail for his horrendous crime, I heartily disagree.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Good, at least he'll die in jail. To bad he got this old before his conviction though.

5. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Not knowing a lot about the history of this case, it was interesting for me to read (in the CNN article that iSaint linked to) that, in a 1967 federal trial, an all-white jury deadlocked 11-1 in favor of convicting Killen; there was only one holdout. I wonder why it took almost forty years for the case to finally come back up for trial?

6. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I didn't read it that way, although I would agree that it's a little unclear exactly what point iSaint was trying to make. My interpretation was that iSaint is lamenting the fact that, all this time later, one can still find examples of intolerance all over the world.

7. friarbayliff macrumors regular

One of the primary complaints that people always have with convictions like this is that the defendant is basically at the end of his life anyway - the punishment isn't going to take away prime years that this man spent free. The punishment will effectively result in a life sentence, but some would say it's an easy way out for someone who should have been convicted years ago. I can understand that the families of the victims, though happy that he's going to jail, feel ripped off by the system.

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I agree, but isn't it better, however tardy, that the system address the problems that led to the victims' families getting ripped off?

9. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

I'm not sure what I was trying to say either! But this is more along the lines of my thinking, thanks Lyle. Killen got the sentence he deserved, and the judge gave the sentence without concern for his age the way he explained it.

I used to deny the existence of intolerance, now I'm more aware of it than ever. You gotta love people for who they are, not judge them.

My favorite author/theologian/bishop