Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
Edge has finally published it's Top 100 games of all time with 'The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time' being voted the number one game of all time.

The Top Ten:
  1. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  2. Resident Evil 4
  3. Super Mario 64
  4. Half Life 2
  5. Super Mario World
  6. Zelda: A Link to the Past
  7. Halo: Combat Evolved
  8. Final Fantasy XII
  9. Tetris
  10. Super Metroid

The list was drawn together in three stages - thousands of reader votes, combined with expert opinion in the games industry and finally input from Edge's own editorial team.

Mr [Tony] Mott [editor-in-chief] said Ocarina of Time was the reader favourite as well as the overall winner.

He said: "It appeared not long after games made the shift to 3D; everyone was wondering if it could make the transition.

"It was a very ambitious game. The way they were able to engineer it in a 3D context was a success; it worked brilliantly well."

But he said the intention behind the poll was not to create a "nostalgia festival".

"These games had to stand up today. People will be surprised by the small amount of very old games that have made it through.

"Often these types of lists are full of games like Space Invaders and Pong - which we recognise as classics, as important games - but they don't necessarily stand up to play today."

Edge Magazine Link

BBC News Link

Let the debate begin.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Read this on BBC news earlier.

Of course were going to have to stump up £10 or €17 to find out the other 90 :rolleyes: :)

Retired
May 16, 2006
Edge has finally published it's Top 100 games of all time with 'The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time' being voted the number one game of all time.

The Top Ten:
  2. Resident Evil 4
  3. Super Mario 64
  4. Half Life 2
  5. Super Mario World
  8. Final Fantasy XII
  9. Tetris
  10. Super Metroid
I will be buying Edge tomorrow...as always...

But! Halo above Halo2?
And no Mario Kart 64 in the top ten!
I wonder where Diddy Kong will come in the list...

I am loving Sixtyforce, and the N64 was my firs console at age 6. I got the PS2 on release day, XBOX around a year after it came out and XBOX 360 on release day. The only portable consoles I have had are the Gameboy Colour and Gameboy Advance.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I will be buying Edge tomorrow...as always...

This is not in the July issue. I have that. This is going to be a special edition magazine release hence the higher price tag from the usual £4 to £10 ;)

As they would say in the Catherine Tate Show. "£10 for a load of recycled articles and a readers poll listing.. The dirty robbing ba***rds..."

Retired
May 16, 2006
This is not in the July issue. I have that. This is going to be a special edition magazine release hence the higher price tag from the usual £4 to £10 ;)

As they would say in the Catherine Tate Show. "£10 for a load of recycled articles and a readers poll listing.. The dirty robbing ba***rds..."

Damn...I meant I always buy it when I see something interesting...I'm not spending my money on that!

And Tate, eeeuuuuurrrrrrgggghhhhh!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Can't fault that list at all. To be honest I thought they would have Prime up there, this only gets me more excited for Super Metroid :D

7/10 on Nintendo systems.
5/10 Nintendo exclusives.
None from this gen, 2/10 from last gen.
3 RPGs, 2 FPS, 1 puzzle.

psychofreak said:
But! Halo above Halo2?
Story was dead in Halo 2.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
I'm just getting into RES 4 on the Wii, but really don't see anything that would make it the number 2 game of all time...especially above others. Am excited to get deeper in and find out if there really is something special to the game...

Paul

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
I'm just getting into RES 4 on the Wii, but really don't see anything that would make it the number 2 game of all time...especially above others. Am excited to get deeper in and find out if there really is something special to the game...

Paul

I'm at the end of it. Definitely one of the best games ever.

I'm surprised at not seeing Final Fantasy VII on there. I think it should take XII's spot. :D

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
I'm surprised at not seeing Final Fantasy VII on there. I think it should take XII's spot. :D

It was probably just a missprint on the BBC page. I think it probably was VII but a typo got in there. We will see when edge special editon gets released.

I totally missed that! I thought it was FF7. It must be FF7.

Edge recently voted Final Fantasy XII the game of the year so it probably isn't a typo.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
the list is made through reader feedback so of course totally based towards recent games

half life 2 but no half life 1 ? fail
halo beating tetris ? fail...
no civilization 2 ? fail
Super Mario World instead of Super Mario 3 ? fail
final fantasy xii instead of 7 or 8 ?
resident evil 4 ? while fantastic it does by no means deserve the 2. spot... fail

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
Really? I have a FFVII with guide and memory card with a save right after the death of someone special ;) maybe I should check out ebay...

Paul

csista

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2007
[*]Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
[*]Resident Evil 4
[*]Super Mario 64
[*]Half Life 2
[*]Super Mario World
[*]Zelda: A Link to the Past
[*]Halo: Combat Evolved
[*]Final Fantasy XII
[*]Tetris
[*]Super Metroid
[/LIST]

He talks about games standing the test of time, and then puts a Final Fantasy that's a year old? You have to give things time to settle before they're eligible for an all time list, whether it games or movies or music, etc.

That being said, I bought a Wii two weeks ago, and all I've been using this high-tech, motion sensing, next-gen device for is to play Super Mario World, so I have no problem with that being on the list. Now just tell me what Toejam and Earl placed at.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
The complete list

Yes, I spent a tenner on it. (But then I do own every Edge Magazine, it's my one vice!)

2. Resident Evil 4
  3. Super Mario 64
  4. Half Life 2
  5. Super Mario World
  8. Final Fantasy XII
  9. Tetris
  10. Super Metroid
  11. Yoshi's Island
  12. GTA: Vice City
  13. Ico
  14. Super Mario Kart
  15. Pro Evolution Soccer 6
  16. Street Fighter Anniversary
  17. Goldeneye 007
  18. Final Fantasy VII
  19. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  20. Civilzation IV
  21. Okami
  22. World of Warcraft
  23. Metroid Prime
  24. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
  25. Simcity 2000
  26. Advance Wars
  27. Rez
  28. Perfect Dark
  29. Deus Ex
  30. Shadow of the Colossus
  31. Katamari Damacy
  32. Project Gotham Racing 2
  33. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  34. R-Type Final
  35. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
  36. Battlefield 2
  37. Starcraft
  38. Virtua Fighter 5
  39. Secret of Mana
  40. Warioware, Inc: Minigame Mania
  41. Gran Turismo 4
  42. Rome: Total War
  43. Bomberman
  44. Super Monkey Ball
  45. Company of Heroes
  46. Quake III
  47. Far Cry
  48. Puyo Pop Fever
  49. Animal Crossing
  50. Shenmue
  51. Pokemon: Ruby/Sapphire
  52. Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
  53. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
  54. Chrono Trigger
  55. Counter-Strike
  56. Guitar Hero
  57. Soul Caliber
  58. Tempest 2000
  59. Star Fox 64
  60. Pac-Man Vs
  61. Manhunt
  62. Jet Set Radio Future
  63. Lumines
  64. System Shock 2
  65. Darwinia
  66. F-Zero GX
  67. Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
  68. GTR - FIA GT Racing Game 2
  69. Pilotwings 64
  70. Ridge Racer 2
  71. Ninja Gaiden Black
  72. Killer7
  73. Puzzle Bobble
  74. Thief: The Dark Project
  75. Burnout 2: Point of Impact
  76. Ikaruga
  77. Football Manager 2007
  78. Doom 2: Hell on Earth
  79. The Secret of Monkey Island
  80. Virtua Tennis 3
  81. Robotron 2084
  82. Lemmings
  83. Nights Into Dreams
  84. Phantasy Star Online
  85. Silent Hill 2
  86. Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
  87. Mr Driller
  88. Sega Rally Championship
  89. Tomb Raider
  90. Devil May Cry
  91. Super Smash Bros Melee
  92. Resident Evil
  93. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
  94. Gitaroo Man
  95. God of War
  96. Wipeout
  97. Tekken 3
  98. Sensible Soccer
  99. Psychonauts
  100. Crackdown

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
No Sonic? Low SSBM? Only Metal Gear Solid 2, when 1 and 3 were both far superior. FFXII in the top 10? Awful list (though they did get #1 right, at least).

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Bugger! You're right! Your post was the first to say Sonic. :eek:

No Doom 1. R-Type Final and no 1-3?!?! Resident Evil 1 so low down? No Dawn of Sorrow?

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
The list is pretty bad. :confused:

I really laughed at Manhunt, #61. Maybe Manhunt 2 will actually get released sometime....:rolleyes:

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
The introduction to the magazine

The difference with this new collection is that its 100 games have been compiled with the co-operation of Edge readers. (Indeed, you can read many reader comments throughout.)

When we invited you to send in your votes for the world's best videogames, you responded in your thousands. These responses formed a master list, which was whittled down to a short list, which in turn went through further processes of voting involving industry types and Edge writers from further afield. Confused yet? Hey, you didn't have to compile the thing.

The key consideration in voting was that the games must stand up to scrutiny today, not only when played with the faithful accompaniment of Nostalgia Spex™. Furthermore, we didn't want to fill the list with multiple iterations of the same series if they were of the same template. So. for example, you'll find only one of Mario's 2D platform adventures within these pages. (No, Yoshi's Island isn't a Mario game. Not really.)

We're confident that, at the end of the process, we have arrived at a hefty group of games that really do represent the 100 best. At the same time, of course, we're certain that you'll have plenty of feedback, so be sure to send it to the usual Edge address.

Now, enjoy the collection...

Maybe, this will help clear up some of the selections? (Or make the decisions more baffling?)

I am also surprised at the omission of a 2D Sonic game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.