Edinburgh: what to do?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'm going up to Edinburgh for a few days next month; have never been before.

What interesting things are there to do and see?
    What are the 'simply musts'?

I'm open to all suggestions and each and every one is appreciated. :)

Cheers
    BV

2. UberMac macrumors 6502

Climb the Scott Monument.
    Lie around in the Gardens looking up at the clouds.
    Visit Jenners.
    Go to Cargo, Beluga and Biblos (nice pubs/bars imho)
    Go to the museum which looks and bit like the millennium dome (It's for kids, but I though it was kinda fun! (its also, in my mind at least, got no name!))
    Shop on Princes and George Street.
    Get thrown out of every club you go into for being underaged...good times!

Uber

EDIT: Go to one of the ridiculously expensive fudge shops and buy fudge - it's sooooo good!

EDIT2: Go and have a kilt fitting...as long as there is no obligation to buy at the end!

3. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

4. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

If only. Being underaged, I remember being that once upon a time. ;)

Excellent idea. My team will be expecting me to return with yummy things; it's a holiday tradition. Better than shortbread, which I like. But fudge... mmm.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to do some reading... :)

A colleague suggested that. Mentioned some tearooms that I have to visit, apparently. I forget the name.

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I could have sworn I saw a twelve year old in ego, I've never seen anyone kicked out of that club.

6. iGav macrumors G3

Well, I'd get Lau as pissed as possible then shave off all her hair. heh.

7. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

What? All her hair? :eek:

8. calculus Guest

calculus

9. calculus Guest

calculus

Dynamic Earth? It's right by the Parliament building as well which is worth a look at.

10. Lau Guest

Heh, it 's funny you say that, as me and my (male) flatmate both cut off all our hair once. I had more to lose. ;) Edinburgh is a bad influence on me. It's slightly unfortunate I now live here again. :p

So, sensible things to do.

Have drinks with Lau. ;)
    The camera obscura was cool when I last went, but I was six at the time. If it's good weather there should be some good views, but it's a rather extortionate £6, so I'm not sure it would be that good.
    Climbing Arthur's Seat is awesome, but it's not the time of year for it, it's chilly at the top even in summer! Amazing views from the top though, or even from halfway up.
    Bar Kohl has millions of different vodkas, and is quite civilised (in a taste and sip the ice cold vodka, as opposed to necking shots).

I shall have a think (and an ask around) of other must sees. :)

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

12. iGav macrumors G3

Well, if you could leave the eyelashes 'cos I have a long standing bet with the Lau that mine are longer, and there's an evening of free beerage at stake depending on the outcome.

But apart from that... be creative. ;)

13. oblomow macrumors 68000

oblomow

Check if they still walk the penguins at the zoo! A tourist trap of course, but it's still great to see these animals walk between people. Taller than kids,
    scaring the hell out of the toddlers and making the older ones ecstatic.
    I know that happened to my penguin adoring gf....

14. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Thanks, Robbie. :)

I've never been to Scotland and really want to try haggis somewhere (slightly tacky, I know) and any other local culinary delights as well. Never tried venison either.

15. iGav macrumors G3

Sh*t Lau's here... delete the posts before she gets wind of your dastardly plan.

Quick. *scampers off*

16. Lau Guest

An evening?! <feels less convinced by own boastfulness> ;)

Agree with all these, definitely, and UberMac's Biblos. Oh, and although the Glasgow thing was teh comedah, a day is Glasgow is a great idea. The train service between both is good. You can meet my granny for lunch. :D There's a few places worth a day trip actually (and a fair number a speedy train journey).

This is the best thing ever. When I saw them there was a small child following them along, and was subconciously walking like a penguin. It was utterly fantastic. I must go back to the zoo.

Edit: And Monster Mash does a good haggis neeps and tatties, amongst other tasty pie like things. :D

17. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I concur with this statement...;)

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Edinburgh is a fantastic place ---- to visit. ;)

Being from the UK (ok, New Zealand ), I'm sure the historic sites aren't going to have as much impact as for someone from North America, but I find that even walking around Edinburgh is good fun.

I was actually there during the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, which was a fantastic time to go.

19. UberMac macrumors 6502

That's the one! And yeh, the Parliament is interesting for a quick visit too.

Fireworks from Arthur's Seat (Watching or launching - brilliant times!)

Do it! It's ace. :)

Oh and whoever mentioned the fringe. I love the fringe...except when you're trying to do something constructive like get to work, or go shopping. The fringe seems to make those things impossible, the crowds, the distractions, the cheap alcohol...

Uber

20. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

My suggestions

Since I was there in the early fall I did a lot of out door exploring... but there were a few indoor activities I enjoyed.

1. Have a drink at the "World's End" pub, (heck do a pub crawl, and see how many bartenders/servers are students from other countries)
    2. Go on one of those ghost tours... probably won't see any ghosts, but I thought the underground passages were really interesting (and the history is very creepy)
    3. Get your voyeur on at the camera obscura... my friend and I had fun tracking people as they walked down ...High St.? with the CC security cameras you can play with.
    4. The museum near the corner of Princess St and Lothian road I thought was interesting.

21. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Deep fried pizza.

You've got to at least try one crazy scottish deep fried food and it's certainly interesting, to say the least.

Seconded.

22. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Mmmm....

Takes me back to being a student. Half Deep Fried Pizza and Chips from Franco's whilst staggering back to halls after a night out.

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

24. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

I'm up for local delicacies... hell, anything I can't get or do in London is fair game. Mind you, deep fried pizza may just need some walking off and maybe a stiff Scot(ch) afterwards. :eek: :D

25. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You're doing it in the wrong order. You have the Scotch first. The Scot, well if you're willing to share the Pizza...