Edit copyright commercial DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lionsnwings, Mar 19, 2007.

1. lionsnwings macrumors newbie

Feb 14, 2007
    I would like to edit a section of a commercial DVD for a presentation I am doing for work. In short, I would like to edit the motivational speech from the movie "Any Given Sunday" to paly for my team. I want to do some minor editing in the process.

I have been reading many threads and am as clear as mud as what I need to do.

I have downloaded DVD Riiper for Mac and converted the file into MPEG4 and then dragged it into Final Cut Express, but the quality didn't seem to be that great and I plan on showing my final clip on a large screen with a LCD projector and I am worried about quality.

I have read several posts about toast and popcorn but not really sure if I need them. I also downloaded Mac The Ripper but the files were not compatiable with Final Cut Express (I think this is where I need to enter the multi step process with toast/popcorn).

Any help you can offere would be great!:cool:
  2. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    I would just use FFmpegx to split the DVD folder ripped by mactheripper.

But Im not sure if you are legally allowed to do so, :D
  3. theBB macrumors 68020

Jan 3, 2006
    I am not sure about its legality, but if you use Handbrake, you can just convert the chapter you need into an mpeg4 in one step. If you use 2-pass encoding with 1500-2000bps quality, the end result should be OK. Then you can drop it on iMovie to do editing, dubbing etc. Once your movie is done in iMovie (I guess you could use Final Cut as well, but it is probably overkill.) you can either export it as .mov or you can use iDVD to burn a DVD. It depends on your connection to that screen. If it is through a computer, then QuickTime can play your .mov file. If all you have is a DVD player, you'd need iDVD. Again, you could use Toast instead, but you don't need to.