Edit Open With dialog?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrgreen4242, Feb 2, 2007.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    For some reason a bunch of filetypes have unneeded/unwanted applications listed in the "Open With" dialog (right-click -> open with >) and more annoyingly several filetypse have the same applications list multiple times. How can I edit this?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Check for double ups of your apps for the corresponding double ups in the menu. If the items appearing in the menu are relatively unused (Photoshop sub-apps for example) then zipping them up and deleting the originals is probably the quickest way to remove them from Open With. Otherwise, you can attempt to remove them via Terminal, but it's far from easy. :eek:
  3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Try rebuilding LaunchServices. The link gives a long Terminal command to do it, but some of the maintenance apps like MainMenu can do it through a GUI if that's more to your liking.
  4. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    Hey, thanks for that... even if it doesn't fix this issue (it's running right now) that looks like a handy one to have round.

Ok, it finished, no luck there. I did a quick search and I don't see multiple copies of (at least some of) the duplicated applications. Hrm.