EDIT: (PICS) Modded Clamshell Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DickArmAndHarT, Oct 18, 2006.

1. DickArmAndHarT macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2004
    So i modded my clamshell to make the apple glow like modern powerbooks/ibooks,

Now i boot the computer, and a big yellow spot is fixed on the center of the screen, noway affected by the yellow sullefane in the screen to make it glow yellow. I did cause a small spark on the mother board, from carelessness when testing the computer, I was putting in the cd rom with the power unknowingly plugged in, but the spark didnt affect anything, just a werid short

Any ideas, im looking at new lcd, but i can't be sure thats the problem.
  2. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

Aug 1, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    umm. some things are better of NOT being modded.

you should think about getting a more recent model if you can.

maybe a powerbook or ibook. or if you can a macbook.

they have excellent refurbished deals. and if you wait till the new models come out. i bet the older core duo's will have very reasonable refurbished ones avail
  3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

Nov 16, 2004
    A new LCD on that is a waste of money unless you find one super cheap.

By the way, I did that glowing apple mod on mine way back in the day and I don't recall needing to touch the motherboard for any reason.
  4. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    I think clamshell LCDs are pretty cheap these days...like under $50.
  5. DickArmAndHarT thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2004
    Thanks for the quick responses.

For some background...
    I collect macs, and this is just one of my favorites. I own a mbp for my film/photography work, but I use this clamshell with a new battery, which lasts about 5 hours, (from newertech) at high school where my orignal aluminum powerbooks got absolutely destoryed from 6 periods of use each day. I carry the clamshell by the handle and leave it on the basket below my desk and as an added plus its wireless reception is remarkable. It doubles the power of the mbp easily. Giving me reliable wireless internet from a house across from my school, which is normally only avalibale in two rooms next to the house, work though out the whole school. And nobody knows im chillen in class online.

Anyhow, my friend gave me a clamshell lcd top casing, so I decided to see if i could get something cool out of this little machine. I just got a new 30 gig 5200rpm hd from a friend so i decided to mod the case when installing the drive. I think when I was too rough with the lcd when trying to put the casing back together (I know how to do it now) and something happened to cause a big yellow but see through smuge on the screen. Ill post pictures of the cool glowing apple and the lcd in a few minutes. BTW I can get a lcd w/ casing for 25 w/ shipping on ebay. Or i could get a cool high brightness/glossy screen for 125, or so my friend says