edit songs for itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shanner, Mar 2, 2005.

1. shanner macrumors member

Hello!

Can anyone tell me how I might edit pieces of music that i want to add to a playlist in itunes? Say i have a track that i want to remove an introduction from or whatever....

Thank you!

2. homeshire macrumors regular

garageband???

i did it once when i captured a soundtrack from a movie. i pieced a song together from throughout the film, dropped it in garageband to remove my own rough work in capturing, and voila. anyway, worked for me.

3. kwajaln macrumors 6502

kwajaln

Shanner . . .take Homeshire's suggestion! I am new to Apple (2-1/2 weeks) and I used Garage Band to do exactly what you are referring to, removing an intro, and it worked perfectlly!! Then, it is super easy to export the edited song to iTunes. :D

4. iBook macrumors regular

If you simply want to remove an intro, you can edit the song from within iTunes by setting the exact start time. I think it's within what would essentially be the "Get Info" dialogue box for a specific tune.

As I recall, you can get fairly preceise; 0.01-second intervals.

5. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

What I wish is that there were some way to have that work part of the time. For example, a song with an introduction. When I'm listening to playlists or random tracks, the introduction is distractingly out of place, breaks the rhythm. But then when I go back to listen to the album, it's distracting to NOT have that interlude.

6. shanner thread starter macrumors member

thanks for your ideas, i went with iBook's and it works great.

Simon Liquid - now that i know THAT.... how about making 2 copies of the song and having one start after the intro, using iBooks suggestion, and leaving the other at the full lenght - it'd be handy for playlists you're putting together yourself even if not for random play.

(you probably know this but...
    file > show song file > copy > rename...etc.)

7. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

Yeah, I've actually done that for a couple of songs. It's a decent work around but that's what computers are supposed to be good at, automating repetitive tasks and keeping things sorted for you. It would be nifty if you could do it with Applescript. I'm no expert, but looking at the library for iTunes I can see how it could be done, at least the act of checking to see if the last track is the track that precedes on the album, storing the start time, setting the start time to zero then setting it back when the track is over. I don't know how you'd get iTunes to run the script between songs or for it to run continually and monitor iTunes. You could have it check every <time interval> for change but this seems really inefficient and like you'd already be too late when you noticed the change.

8. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

If you only want to trim the beginning and/or end of a track, iTunes/iPod already has that capability.

Select your song, go in "options". You'll see "start time" and "stop time" input fields.