Edit Suite Setup...

Discussion in 'Community' started by hotwire132002, Oct 22, 2004.

1. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Hey, I'm working on rearranging my edit suite--right now it's pretty much just my G5 on a desk.

What I'm wondering is, what is a typical "professional" NLE setup? I notice a lot of professional setups I've seen feature audio mixers. How would these be connected/used? Also, what kind of additional equipment would you suggest? Again, I notice a lot of rack mounted equipment in these setups, but I haven't gotten a good enough look to see what it is. I've seen, generally, tape decks and hard drives, but is there anything else imprtant?

Oh, and anyone with a professional edit suite--would you mind posting a picture? I'd like to get some ideas for how to arrange mine.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If you don't get another response, you might just do a search of two on setups. I think there have been one or two photos posted.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

1. Audio Mixer - The audio mixer is used to control all of the audio coming into, and out of, the editing machine. For example, if you have a VCR, a Beta deck, and a pair of audio monitors (fancy name for expensive speakers) all hooked up to yer edit box they all should get their own audio channels. Edit computer feeds the mixer and the mixer gives seperate feeds to each device and vice versa.

2. Audio Monitors - These are expensive, pro grade speakers. New Avid's ship w/a pair of JVC's that cost 'round $300 a piece. Don't neglect your sound. It's half your project.

3. Broadcast Monitor - This is basically a really, really, really nice TV w/a bunch of i/o's and nifty features that can come in handy. Video on a computer screen is a lot different than video on a TV so having a b'cast monitor is very good thing.

4. Video Scopes (hardware) - Some NLE's have scopes built into the software but I'm really not sure how much you can trust them. The waveform monitor and vetorscope (aka "scopes") are used to make sure your whites, blacks, and colors are at the proper levels.

5. Client Monitor - if you have clients looking over your shoulder a lot this is for them. It's basically a large consumer TV so the client can comfortable see your work while chillin' on the couch.

6. Racks - these typcially house the computer, break-out boxes, harddrives, routers, scopes, etc.,. Basically anything that can put in a rack mount should be so that when you have to move things around most of it is already secured in one big box (the rack).

Lethal

4. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Thanks for the help! You've given me a really good idea of what I should put together. Now I just need to save up a bit (lot), and buy everything!