Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
England
My iMac is taking an age to start up and become useable.

From power on to the login screen is as quick as the day I brought it, but after typing in my password, my hard drive goes into overdrive for about 5 mins during which time the computer is pretty much unuseable.

Once it's finished loading, it's very quick and no different from the day I got it. I'm just wondering- is this normal with macs? With windows, the problem gets exponentially worse each month, but I didn't think macs were as prone to it. If this is normal, then not to worry- but 5 mins seems a long time to see on hardware this good.

I regularly run maintenence with Onyx, so I don't think it's a problem with permissions etc. I also have over 100GB free on my HD.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this is? It enevr used to take this long before.

EDIT- EEEK! Just got this error when I re-ran Verify Disk In Disk Utility:

The underlying task reported failure on exit.

It says volume needs Repair: is that permissions or the actual HD?!

The Repair button on the right hand side is greyed out.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
You are being told that there is a problem with your HD. Disk Utility can not repair it because it can not repair the drive it is running on. Restart from the Installation disk that came with the computer (hold down the C key as you restart). Run Dusk Utility from CD on your internal drive. See if it can fix the problem now.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I had that error and basically I was told by LaCie that my drive was failing. Of course a disc less than 12 months old was somehow not covered under warranty due to me using my external as an external...don't ask people from India call centers are confused I guess.

simontarr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
England
I had that error and basically I was told by LaCie that my drive was failing. Of course a disc less than 12 months old was somehow not covered under warranty due to me using my external as an external...don't ask people from India call centers are confused I guess.

OK, well I repaired the volume....god I hope it doesnt die on me!! I can't be doing with sending it back to apple...

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Please make sure you've backed up your files. That hard drive might be dead real soon. good luck!

This is called 'the benefit of hindsight', and is priceless advice. If at all possible buy an external drive, download Carbon Copy Cloner (or something similar) and back up your drive, making it bootable of course.
Just think, all those lost emails, downloaded iTunes, irreplaceable photos, work assignments that took hours to type....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.