Edit .wav in Garageband? Or????

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by OldManJimbo, Aug 13, 2004.

1. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

A speech I gave at a convention is on CD in .wav format. I would like to edit out the UMs, AHs and silly things. Can this be done in Garageband? Or some other application on my PowerBook?

2. Spizzo macrumors 6502

You could use Bias Peak 4. It's what i use to record/edit my vinyl/live preformances. Seems to work pretty well. They've got a free trial.

3. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

I was hoping that one of the little apps that came with the PB would be able to do this - is there a way to covert the .wav format to something the Garageband can open?

4. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

I use SoundStudio. It's a great app, and it came free with my iBook for some reason. Part of the bundle. It uses Quicktime, so it can open ANY format that Quicktime suppots, that includes any formats gained from plugins (Vorbis, etc...). If you choose a video file, it will open the audio stream. It dosen't manipulate the origional file unless it is one that SoundStudio can save to. I know it saves in AIFF. It may save in WAV, and others.

Edit: I'm pretty sure it is a free download if it wasn't included with your Mac. Google it.

Edit 2: I just realised that you may be able to open a Protected AAC file in it, and because it is being saved as an AIFF, there won't be quality loss, because AIFF is lossless. I think. Uh oh. QUICK DOWNLOAD SOUNDSTUDIO BEFORE APPLE PULLS IT! Not that I suggest you pirate your AACs...

5. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

I don't find this APP on my PowerBook, not can I find it on Google.

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....here is Sound Studio if you want to try it out....it is not free though....oh yeah!

(it is part of the software bundle with iBooks, but not Powerbooks)

7. OldManJimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Sweet - I will check it out. $49 isn't a bad price to pay if it works as good as others say it does.

8. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...there are other editors out there that may do what you want as well, for a lower price too...a couple of the most popular ones are Cacophony and Amadeus..... TC Works SparkLE is also very good and worth looking at ($49)....oh yeah!

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

SoundStudio works perfect for all my editing needs - it definitely gets my vote. And it came free with my Mac when I bought it, so you can't argue with that! Bias Peak will also do the trick, but is probably overkill for what you want, unless you're doing a lot of other audio editing. Even then though, SoundStudio will probably handle anything you need to do - it does for me. :cool:

10. kanker macrumors 6502

Get Audacity. It's free, it's easy to use, and it's exactly what you're looking for.

11. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I tried SoundStudio for a while and had a lot of stability problems, so I got Bias Peak. I love it. I've never heard anything bad about Audacity, and the price is right.

GarageBand isn't an editing tool.

12. spikymohawks macrumors newbie

spikymohawks

Heres a Hint...

From the moderator:

Post removed.

Posting serial numbers for pirating software is not permitted.​

13. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....hey...posting pirated serial numbers is defintely not cool and not tolerated around here....post reported....oh yeah!

14. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...can't believe I forgot about Audacity as I have it and use it too. Horrortaxi - do you have the full version of Peak ( v4?) or the LE? I have LE v3.x that came with Jam 5 and had thought of upgrading but have yet not found that I've needed it but it's always in the back of my mind....oh yeah!

15. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Thanks Duff-Man, you beat me to it!

And as for you spikymohawks it's painfully obvious that you're a newbie if you're posting material like that here. My advice to you is to smarten up or else you'll be banned - I'm surprised you haven't been already! Not cool man, not cool. :mad:

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yah, Duff-Man, how could you have the audacity to forget about Audacity? ;) It's an excellent tool as well, although I have honestly never had any troubles with SoundStudio, and I do extensive editing with it on an almost-daily basis. But hey, you always gotta go with what works for ya...

17. kanker macrumors 6502

Duff-Man, If I were to drop the bread on an audio editor right now, I'd go for DSP Quattro. It's right on Peak's heels (if not past it), and a heck of a lot cheaper.

18. kanker macrumors 6502

Can't beat it for the price, and since it's an open source project, it keeps getting better and better regularly. I also love how intuitive it is. Audacity is definitely a program to keep your eye on, I really think that before long it's gonna be about as good as anything out there.

19. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...yes...I had read the article in Electronic Musician a couple months ago and it does look really nice...I had forgotten about that too until you mentioned it - thanks for the reminder as I may upgrade my audio software when the DP 2.5 G5 arrives...oh yeah!

20. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I bought Peak LE 3 a while back and got a free upgrade to LE 4. Like I said, it's been a while so I don't remember much about 3. I do remember being very happy with 4 in comparison but I can't remember what's different.