Edit: YES YOU CAN re-download for higher resolution videos

Discussion in 'iPod' started by DVNIEL, Sep 13, 2006.

1. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

I had e-mailed iTunes support because I wanted to inquire about re-downloading some missing content due to an AppleCare HD replacement. They had e-mailed me stating that they will make this one time exception and let me redownload my entire purchased library. All I had to do was go to advanced options, and select "check for purchases."

As I am downloading my videos, even some purchased at the beginning of the year, I noticed that they are all now in the higher resolution 640 by whatever. I'm sure all of us would like higher resolution videos so we can enjoy them on our upcoming iTV boxes, so I thought I'd pass this idea to you guys. Please do remember that Apple only does this once, but you will basically be getting a fresh start.

Just e-mail iTunes support and tell them that you lost all of your content due to a hard-drive crash, not just simply because you want higher res videos.

Good hunting.

2. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Did this work for any of your music videos?

Daniel.

3. DVNIEL thread starter macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

Yes, this has worked with my music videos

I had purchased Come Close - Common, Take Me Away/You and Me - Lifehouse, Far Away - Nickelback... and all of them are bigger than the original ones I had purchased.

This is working for my old TV episodes like Gauntlet, Lost, Night Stalker. Even bonus videos that included in albums that I purchased.

4. DVNIEL thread starter macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

Just bumping this to the top because I see a lot of threads asking if they can get their old videos back.

Yes you can, just e-mail iTunes support and tell them you lost all your content to a failed hard drive. Again, this is a once-only deal, but basicall you're starting from scratch. Enjoy.

5. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Read, fraud.

On another note, my HD actually did fail (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=232302), and I'm re-downloading all my music and videos. MOST of them are higher quality... seems sort of random though. Occaisional episodes are still lower resolution, but I'm happy to have all of my iTMS purchases back.

6. DVNIEL thread starter macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

Call it what you want, but I honestly don't think this is fraud, because technically you are not owning two different products, you own 1 license to it. An example of fraud would be Apple giving out a one-time replacement iPod if you lost it, you call them up and saying you lost it. Honestly, you owning two versions of the same media file is not as beneficial as owning two iPods.

Another reason is that this is no different from re-downloading a software product that you downloaded from a website such The Missing Sync or Salling Clicker. You own the rights to that software. It's hard to redistribute this software because most of the programs have to pass an online authorization, the same as the media from Apple, and you have 5 machines to pass this authorization.

Technically, this amnesty from Apple regarding re-downloading products, there are no set rules, this is a form of customer service, and nowhere does it say that they will validate your request by one and only one reason. You saying you lost your hard drive is just a way of speeding things up, its no different from you calling customer service and speaking to a manager or a Tier 2/3 supervisor to help you with your problem. And again, there is no way of abusing this service, because it marked into your file as a one-time assistance. The only thing you will hog is bandwidth, but its the same thing as people sampling 30 seconds of music all day.

So technically, this isn't fraud, you're just getting your way faster. ;)

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

At best, it's obtaining things through false pretenses. Ask HP how that worked out for them.

If you explain to Apple what you want and they give it to you, that's customer service. If you lie to them in the process, it's fraud in my book.

8. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

How is you purchased one product and now getting a new version not "fraud"?

Anyway, be sure to back up as this was a one time only deal.

9. DVNIEL thread starter macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

So I guess companies who sell software online shouldn't offer updates because its technically a new "version" of their media? You're redownloading something you own and cannot redistribute

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

A company voluntarily offering free updates is completely different than you deceiving the company in order to receive a new version.

11. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

It's not the principle of it... I agree with you that we should be able to download as many personal copies of songs we've downloaded as we want.

It's the user agreement. It states you're not allowed to download multiple copies. And not abiding by the user agreement is fraudulent.

But back OT, the process works if you're OK with straight-up lying.

12. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

I'm gonna try this, but I can't tell a lie so I'll try the honest route and simply ask :)

What's the address I email?
    //EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. I'll report back what they say.

13. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Scratch that idea…

Thank you for your interest in the new higher resolution 640 x 480 video format now offered on the iTunes Store.

I understand your concerns about your purchase of "Luxo Jr.". I regret to inform you that I will be unable to give you a higher-resolution version of this video.

Please review the iTunes Store Terms of Sale, which state that all sales are final

DO TEH FRAUD PPL!

14. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Surely Apple will soon find it suspect that so many hard drives happened to fail just after their announcement of new offerings in the iTunes store.

15. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

haha, I can just imagine having a hard drive recall - right after the battery recall :)

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Thanks to the OP for pointing this out. While I usually download a show that I missed, watch it and then delete it (yes silly, but I do it). I am re-downloading a few shows that I haven't watched yet.
    Thanks for the heads up.