EDITED: Macbook Pro vs. 24" iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ryan.Fork, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Ryan.Fork macrumors member

Oct 3, 2006
    Hi guys,

I'm looking at a new computer purchase in the next month (possibly more if there's something new coming out in early December), and I am looking for some advice. My budget is anywhere up to $3,000.

I mainly do a lot of photo editing and web browsing. There is an occasional time when I do a little gaming, but it's not that often that I do. I currently have a 12" PB, alongside a Dell Dimension 8300. I use Photoshop CS2 a lot right now, but Aperture looks amazing, and I would like to give it a go.

The screen on the 24" is huge, and inviting for photo editing, but the Macbook Pro looks really awesome, and I would like to have a little bit of portability.

I would like a little bit of input if at all possible :D
  2. ero87 macrumors 65816

Jan 17, 2006
    New York City
    pretty basic question it seems.

if you already have a sweet monitor, and portability doesn't really matter, get a Mac Pro. with the MBP, you might want an external monitor regardless.

Whatever you do: you'll only be happy if you fill your comp with RAM. seriously. RAM RAM RAM. as much as you can get.
  3. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Jan 22, 2006
    Clearwater, FL
    17" MBP

It would be your best bet cause you get portability and power.
  4. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

Sep 6, 2005
    MBP - light photo editing and some web browsing doesn't require the power of a Mac Pro. Mine as well put your money into RAM (as the above poster stated) and portability (as you said you needed it)

17" = my recommendation as well
  5. robcts macrumors regular

Sep 10, 2005
    i'm wondering the same question as well, and went back and forth between the MBP and MP.

i'm pretty sure i'm going to end up going with the 17" with 3GB ram and the 7200rpm HDD option with a good external drive, since i already have a dell 2405FPW.
  6. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    I say go for the Mac Pro. You already have the PB to tide over your portability needs, so why not go for the most power/bang for your buck? The Mac Pro will last you much longer, is upgradeable, has A LOT more power... easy decision, in my book.
  7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    I don't think either of these options. As the previous poster said, you already have the powerbook to tide you over for your portable needs, and you want the best bang for your buck. However, the way i see it, you want no less than a 20'' screen, and no less than 1gb of RAM per processor core. In other words, a Mac Pro will run you over $3000. I'd go with a 24'' iMac if you don't already have a 20''+ monitor. Furthermore, even if you already have a monitor, consider the iMac, as it supports dual monitors.

The only people who I would suggest getting a Mac Pro over a 24'' iMac are people who either have SERIOUS processor needs, or people who want or have a 30'' screen.
  8. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

Aug 14, 2006
    I think it's a pretty basic question. Would you rather have a portable 17 inch notebook or a desktop? PERIOD.
  9. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    I'm in a similar situation. When you compare the price points and see the Mac Pro really isn't all that more than a well specd Macbook pro, it seems crazy to go with the portable. But then again, it's the portability that you're paying for.

It is a basic question really. Portability or Desktop with raw power and better future-proofing?

Without a doubt, Mac Pro. :cool:
  10. Schroedinger macrumors regular

Feb 12, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    There is no comparing these machines. If you have any doubt that you want a mac pro, get the macbook pro.

As a mac pro owner I'll say the power is awesome, and I got it b/c I have a laptop that serves purely laptop uses. If you want portable power, go with the macbook pro. If you want power, mac pro hands down.
  11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    If you have a portable, and use this machine for work -- get the powerful desktop.

Because the main thing the Mac Pro has over the MacBook Pro right now is the vast difference between a 32GB and 3GB RAM capacity.

Might mean something to you, might not. But as time goes on, it will rather soon.
  12. kwood macrumors 6502a

Jun 26, 2006
    In the Great White North.
  13. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

Jun 4, 2005
    what ever suites your need if portability is a priority or space then go for the MBP, or if you really want upgradeability go for the Mac Pro, if you want both, get both, or get the one you need most first then the other sometime later
  14. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

Aug 1, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    i agree here. you have a laptop already. Currently the Mac Pro is due for an update in mid nov with the brand new QUAD core intel chips. there are two variants of them. so what does this mean for you?

lower prices for the mid and low end mac pro machines. there are also great deals to be had for them via apple.com in refurbished/sale area.

To me, you can look at it one of two ways. you want a nice sleek lil macbook pro, which is great. there will be a laptop design refresh next year probably. so new models will look different than ones today.

the mac pro, well it is an upgradable tower. built to last and be updated. so when you want to add a better graphics card, more hard drive space. you can. one thing... get it with 2gb ram, tests have proven that it makes a BIG difference in performance. also remember that when the new Mac OS 10.5 comes out, the extra hard drive in the bay will help with the new automated backup function. ... A VERY NEAT FUNCTION TO have!!!
  15. Kace macrumors regular

Sep 8, 2005
    you mean 16GB right? as opposed to 32!!
  16. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2005
    Like other people stated before.

The 12'' is a sweet portable. Stick to it and get a Mac Pro.
  17. Ryan.Fork thread starter macrumors member

Oct 3, 2006
    Thanks for the input guys! While I was thinking about it as I drifted off to sleep last night, I did realize that a Mac Pro would probably be too much power for my needs. I was just thinking about upgrading later on.

But I think I'm going to shoot for a 17" Macbook Pro. I occasionally need the portability, and I don't by any means have a sweet monitor right now, so I would have to buy one of those to go with my Mac Pro :D

I need more power in my portable, the 1GHz, 128MB RAM, 32MB VRAM is getting a little old.

Anyone else care to comment? It's now going to be 2' iMac vs. 17" Macbook Pro :)